GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,505
5 members and 2,500 guests
oncegreek, TLLK

Old 10-10-2008, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to XSK_Diamond
Insurance Question

I searched first, but I only saw one old (and possibly outdated) reference to my first two questions.

Are GLOs able to get discounts on insurance if they belong to an umbrella organization?

Are there any current umbrella organizations whose purpose is to make it possible for smaller and/or independent local and regional GLOs to get insurance coverage at discounted group rates? Specifically sororities?

Is it possible for 2-3 very small organizations to share one general liability policy?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-10-2008, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSK_Diamond View Post
I searched first, but I only saw one old (and possibly outdated) reference to my first two questions.

Are GLOs able to get discounts on insurance if they belong to an umbrella organization?

Are there any current umbrella organizations whose purpose is to make it possible for smaller and/or independent local and regional GLOs to get insurance coverage at discounted group rates? Specifically sororities?

Is it possible for 2-3 very small organizations to share one general liability policy?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I haven't heard of any umbrella organizations giving a discount. Within the "main" councils, insurance is handled by specific organizations.

As far as sharing coverage, I doubt it'll happen, but it's best if you contact some insurance providers to be sure.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks

Thanks. I've put in some emails and phone calls to some local and regional business insurance companies. One local company has found an insurer willing to cover us, but cost specifics aren't known yet. I honestly think the way for us to go for right now, since we are so new and have so few members, is to just get coverage for individual events and "pay as we go" until we get more members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I haven't heard of any umbrella organizations giving a discount. Within the "main" councils, insurance is handled by specific organizations.

As far as sharing coverage, I doubt it'll happen, but it's best if you contact some insurance providers to be sure.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Got a great quote

I got a quote from a local insurance agency for a $1,000,000 general liability policy for $245 a year. I think they got it through Safeco.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Not bad

Old 10-31-2008, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to XYZ_E_class
$245 a year? Do you mean per member?
Old 10-31-2008, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Same thing I asked, LOL. Nope. It's per year.

But, you have to understand that Chi Sigma Kappa isn't a campus-based organization (we're community-based but will charter chapters on campuses where interest is shown), and being that we are geared toward nontraditional students (most of whom happen to be older and assumed to be wiser and more mature) we don't have the kind of risk associated with us as do traditional, campus-based GLOs. Plus, we don't need to insure owned property, et cetera, at this point, so that makes a difference, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ_E_class View Post
$245 a year? Do you mean per member?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsDGP007 Send a message via Yahoo to MsDGP007
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSK_Diamond View Post
Same thing I asked, LOL. Nope. It's per year.

But, you have to understand that Chi Sigma Kappa isn't a campus-based organization (we're community-based but will charter chapters on campuses where interest is shown), and being that we are geared toward nontraditional students (most of whom happen to be older and assumed to be wiser and more mature) we don't have the kind of risk associated with us as do traditional, campus-based GLOs. Plus, we don't need to insure owned property, et cetera, at this point, so that makes a difference, too.
Hmmmm...that's "interesting". I'm not saying it's impossible....but it seems odd. Just because if you look at average insurance rates, your premium vs. your coverage seem pretty lopsided. Look at a car insurance policy -- you pay $500 per year for $100,000 in coverage. The chance of having an auto claim is higher than a general liability claim. But you are also talking about 10X the coverage!

Our premium for a $1,000,000.00 per claim/2 claim policy is about $5,200/yr. That is with no houses or rental properties. Our application did not ask for the average ages of members -- just the amounts of members. LOL...maybe we should look into Safeco, what a savings that would be!
Old 01-21-2009, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

The quote was based on number of members. At that time, it was only us founders, so it wasn't a lot.

At any rate, it's a moot point. My health has deteriorated, so I'm not moving forward with Chi Sigma Kappa. After incorporation, when it came time to start on the real work of growing the sorority, my health wasn't there. So, I had to let it go. I'd still like to be a part of a sorority, though. Maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't. I'm cool either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDGP007 View Post
Hmmmm...that's "interesting". I'm not saying it's impossible....but it seems odd. Just because if you look at average insurance rates, your premium vs. your coverage seem pretty lopsided. Look at a car insurance policy -- you pay $500 per year for $100,000 in coverage. The chance of having an auto claim is higher than a general liability claim. But you are also talking about 10X the coverage!

Our premium for a $1,000,000.00 per claim/2 claim policy is about $5,200/yr. That is with no houses or rental properties. Our application did not ask for the average ages of members -- just the amounts of members. LOL...maybe we should look into Safeco, what a savings that would be!

Old 03-05-2009, 04:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi everyone. We need support so there is myself and another girl included determined to establish a multicultural sorority on our campus. Although there are some that our not open to the idea especially the Latina Sororities for some reason.

The MGC doesn't really want to support us because they say to many Latina sororities are there, especially because we do not have National ties or an insurance.

How do we know about the Safeco insurance? Can we get more information.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1330 View Post
Hi everyone. We need support so there is myself and another girl included determined to establish a multicultural sorority on our campus. Although there are some that our not open to the idea especially the Latina Sororities for some reason.

The MGC doesn't really want to support us because they say to many Latina sororities are there, especially because we do not have National ties or an insurance.

How do we know about the Safeco insurance? Can we get more information.
Contact Safeco.

As a side note, I'm sure there is a multicultural sorority in existence that would align with your goals. Have you researched the dozens that are already established?

Old 03-06-2009, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes we have but those do not interest us at all. No offense to none of them. But we are in the works. Our school said we can be a local one until we can figure out how to gain National affiliation, but do not know how that works??? Any advise???

How would we become initiated?

I plan to contact Safeco this weekend.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1330 View Post
Yes we have but those do not interest us at all. No offense to none of them. But we are in the works. Our school said we can be a local one until we can figure out how to gain National affiliation, but do not know how that works??? Any advise???

How would we become initiated?
If you say so. Just realize that you won't just "become" a national organization. You have to sustain at the local level, get interest from other campuses, and create some kind of national structure. Your organization will likely remain local during your time in college.

You'll probably continue to catch heat from other GLOs because there are so many organizations that have already been established.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=93174

Old 03-06-2009, 04:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the support.