GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,595
0 members and 1,595 guests
No Members online

Old 07-26-2007, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

question about local sorority affliating with national sorority

I posted before asking about how a local sorority can become national but from the information that i recieved and my schools guidelines it doesn't sound like that is really an option for our group right now. I did get some suggestions about affiliating with other sororities. can anyone give me more information about that? I am the new president and would like to really get things rolling with this before I graduate. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
In your previous thread, several posters pointed to information on affiliating with both NPC and non-NPC groups. When you contacted any of these groups, what type of information did you receive?

Last edited by aopirose; 07-26-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by skr002 View Post
I posted before asking about how a local sorority can become national but from the information that i recieved and my schools guidelines it doesn't sound like that is really an option for our group right now. I did get some suggestions about affiliating with other sororities. can anyone give me more information about that? I am the new president and would like to really get things rolling with this before I graduate. Thanks!
What according to your school guidelines prohibits you from going national? I'm in a local, and have no experience with affiliating with/ going national. What makes your group want to go national/ affiliate? How successful are you with numbers etc? . Coming from a local, we'd rather stay local, sure it would be great to have national support, recognition... and all the great things associated with it... but I guess we're the only ones, and there is something wonderful in that too. I guess my question is... why your org wants to?

The members on here from other groups know a hell of a lot more than I do about this, so I'm sure that would be a bigger help... but I was just curious anyway.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

We want to go national because our school does not allow local sororities to be a part of greek life. We are basically considered a club and are not recognized as a sorority. We were in the past but some paper work issues happened several years ago (before I became a member) and since then the rules on campus have changed.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by skr002 View Post
We want to go national because our school does not allow local sororities to be a part of greek life. We are basically considered a club and are not recognized as a sorority. We were in the past but some paper work issues happened several years ago (before I became a member) and since then the rules on campus have changed.
ah i see. that makes a lot more sense. I would try to contact some national orgs and find out how willing they are to expand. What are your schools rules on expansion as well, do you think you'll be able to get approval from Pan-hel? I know when some girls tried to bring another org on campus, as President's, we had to vote on it, and we all said no because our greek system wasn't healthy enough to support another org... so that's another thought... but that's down the road, for the time being, research and see what else is out there.

you can PM me if you need anything else, I'll do my best to answer
Old 07-26-2007, 02:28 PM

What other sororities are on your campus?

Are you saying you want to affiliate with a non-NPC sorority?

(for other GCers, click on read all her posts, it will make more sense)
Old 07-26-2007, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aopirose View Post
In your previous thread, several posters pointed to information on affiliating with both NPC and non-NPC groups. When you contacted any of these groups, what type of information did you receive?
You still haven't answered aopirose's question, and that's the info we need to help you.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

OP--I am confused about which suggestions you couldn't follow. Is it those giving information on NPC or those regarding other sororities.

What have you done since you last posted? Any research? Any contacts?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Since my previous postings I have only researched information on NPC and because of the guidelines in place on campus it doesn't sound like we can become a part of that on our own. I have spoken with several other greek organizations on campus and they would all love for us to be on council. Its the legistics that are getting in the way. I did not look into affiliating with any other sororities because at the time we weren't sure that that was something we were interested in. We still are not sure. We just want some more information so that we can make an informed decision.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
OK. Now we are getting somewhere. You were trying to see if you’re local could become the 27th NPC group. It is logistically impossible if you are a single chapter.

From what you describe, it sounds like your sorority will have to affiliate with somebody, who has a national stature. That or not be recognized. Without recognition, it could mean that your group would not be able to exist on campus.

I will point you again to the NPC web site on extension. http://www.npcwomen.org/college/c_extension.php If you download the materials, it will give you step by step instructions about the process. For any information about non-NPC affiliation, you will have to contact those groups directly. Good luck!

Last edited by aopirose; 07-27-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

In the previous thread you also received links to several other national non-NPC sororities that could be a good fit for you.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I think she's really looking for a way to keep her own letters and symbols, but I just don't think that's going to happen.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're trying to keep your letters etc. it probably won't happen if you're trying to go national at the same time. However, you can always keep your traditions and symbols as chapter and local traditions while being a part of a bigger organization.

It sounds like your campus is open to expansion so your biggest hurdle is over. Every woman here who belongs to a national sorority can go on for hours about the benefits of being in a national (or international!) organization. I would seriously suggest going through the NPC. Try to become an NPC group. You don't have to lose everything when you go national.
http://www.npcwomen.org
Old 07-27-2007, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkfriedrice View Post
If you're trying to keep your letters etc. it probably won't happen if you're trying to go national at the same time. However, you can always keep your traditions and symbols as chapter and local traditions while being a part of a bigger organization.

http://www.npcwomen.org
Thats very true. My chapter started out as a local fraternity but went national 60 years ago. Even though it's been years, we still recognize our local founders and keep some of our local traditions alive.