GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,662
0 members and 1,662 guests
No Members online

Old 05-25-2003, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PixieChickMTSU
Did you get your first choice?

I was just wondering, how many of you got your first choice sorority? If not, what did you do and how has it worked out?

Kara
Old 05-25-2003, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
Hmm..yes and no I suppose. Before rush began I was set on Pi Phi. During rush I really liked another sorority, but in the end I did become a Pi Phi. Admittedly, I was disappointed when my at the time first choice released me, but at Bid Day I saw that I was home. It's been a great three years so far, and I'm proud to be a Pi Phi. I'd say it worked out well for me.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I got my 1st choice. If I hadn't, however, I am the type of person that probably would have made the best of my situation and become a good member of my 2nd or 3rd GLO. Like erniegurl00 said, the disappointment must be dealt with before the acceptance and happiness set in.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to uwgirl
I ended up dropping rush in the fall because I went to pref night for a sorority I could tell I wouldn't have been happy in. I was really disappointed, but it was for the best so I tried going through spring rush and sure enough, I got my top choice from the fall and of course again in the spring...Chi Omega!
Old 05-25-2003, 08:20 PM

I got my first choice...but I think I'm a special case, since I'ma founding sister of my sorority. But we liked Tri Delta the best, so as a collective local group, we wanted to go Tri Delta. So I guess in a way, I got my choice!!!

I have another question that is realted to this topic...formal rush is completely new to me, I didn' go through it at all, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can. So obviously by this thread, the PNM knows which group they want first...but do the sisters of the group know what order the girls ranked the sororities? For example, say "Mary" picked another group first, but ended up at Tri Delta cause she didn't get her first choice, do the girls of Tri Delta know that she picked another group first?
Old 05-25-2003, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

When my fellow founding sisters and I were establishing our sorority, we wanted to be one national. Unfortunately, we couldn't (it's a long story). We tried to get the NPC at our school to give us a chance to become another national. Another setback, we were voted down. However, we did regroup to become a local with aspirations to expand to other campuses. Although I sometimes look back and wonder what we could have been, I am glad with the way things have turned out!

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 05-25-2003, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I got my first choice
Old 05-25-2003, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD
For example, say "Mary" picked another group first, but ended up at Tri Delta cause she didn't get her first choice, do the girls of Tri Delta know that she picked another group first?
Mostly, no. Each campus and each chapter do things differently but, in many cases, only recruitment chairs and advisors are supposed to see anything concerning voting...sometimes the recruitment chairs aren't even involved in putting together the bid list.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Banned

Technically when I went through rush as an undergrad I did not get my first choice. . .actually my third (and I kind of regret accepting. . . ). A somewhat long story about not getting a bid because one group thought I was definitely going the only one I got a bid from, etc - by the way, it was deferred rush. . . I am truly where I belong, though (well, at least with regards to Greek Life! Vocation is still being worked on. . . )

Sarah
Old 05-25-2003, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I would have to agree with erniegurl00 () . I was in LOVE with Pi Phi before rush started and because of a mishap on the first day I fell in love with another group. When I opened my bid card I knew it would be Pi Phi but I was a little upset it wasn't the other group. But, when I ran to the house and was hugged by my [future] big sis I realized I was where I belonged!

PPL & mine!
Jess
Old 05-25-2003, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AGDPrincess70
technically, I got my first choice. I only went to AGD's open recruitment, but I know now that I wouldn't have fit in any other sorority!
Old 05-25-2003, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking well!

The house I had thought I wanted to join pre-rush and into several parties dropped me. But, I ended up getting the house I wanted after prefs. I sucided but hey it does work out sometimes!
ALPHA-CHI!
*mk*
Old 05-25-2003, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
Just one more thing. I think things worked out for the best because Jharb and I became best friends after she joined! I guess I've always been the optimistic kind, but things always do seem to work out for the best, even if it doesn't appear so in the beginning. Honestly, Jess and I would probably never would have met if it hadn't been for Pi Phi. *Tear* (Ok I'm done being sentimental...All of this talk of rush is doing it! LOL)
Old 05-25-2003, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cntryZTA5
Going into recruitment, I didn't know anything about sororities or greek life. My friend and I had someone approach us while we were walking through campus to encourage us to go through rush (what it was called at the time).
I decided to go through, not knowing what to expect. When I walked into the first party, I knew they were not for me. In the second party (ZTA), however I felt like it was a perfect match. The first girl that I met eventually became my big sis. I got along well with everyone that I met and felt really comfortable there...they were my favorites all the way through.
I preffed ZTA and another house that I knew wasn't for me. They were nice girls, but I didn't have any real connection like I did with the Zetas.
It's been a choice that I have never regretted since.

There was one other chapter that I would have been happy in as well, but I didn't pref them (they released me before pref).
Old 05-25-2003, 09:51 PM

Yes and no.

When I rushed, there were 4 national sororities and a local. The local did not participate in formal rush that year.

I had a definite favorite going into formal rush, and there was a second sorority that really impressed me during round 1. Both sororities invited me to round 2.

During round 2, I came to two conclusions. 1 - I really liked the idea of being part of a sisterhood; 2 - neither of these two sororities was the right choice for me. So I dropped out of rush.

The following week, the local held their rush, and I decided to drop by... and found my home