GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,908
1 members and 1,907 guests
No Members online

Old 07-04-2009, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Florida International University- FIU and Florida Atlantic- FAU

I know that there are people on here who know about these schools. I am a UMiami grad (from long ago- '83). Greek life at UMiami is nice because it is an option and provides a wonderful social outlet for some. The fraternities at UM have houses, but the sororities are housed in suites in the Panhellenic building.

However, I looked at the FIU Greek webpage and was pleasantly surprised to see that they have come so far.

Granted, these schools do not come close to FSU or UF. However, tell me about Greek life at FIU and FAU.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-04-2009, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

FIU

Well FIU is a growing university, and along with that, so is the Greek community.

Currently there are 35 GLOs on campus (don't be guided by our Greek Life website because it is outdated), but our IFC is expanding tremendously in the coming years, adding AEPi along with another group this year and next year 1 (or maybe 2) more.

Panhell just expanded last year and added Sigma Kappa. There are 7 NPC chapters at FIU. I don't know of the possibilities for future PC expansion, but each year about 400-500 girls go through rush.

Our greek community only has about 1500 people, which is nothing compared to UF or FSU as you stated, but it is steadily growing and I foresee much growth in the next few years in all councils (IFC, PC, MGC, and NPHC).

As far as housing goes, only 2 fraternities have on-campus housing with the possibility of another building a house within a year. Sororities don't have housing nor suites (like UM does), but as more dorms are built suites may be an option as chapters continue to grow.

The biggest problem with Greek housing right now is that FIU is still mostly commuter, and most Greeks live off campus or back home with their parents.

FAU, on the other hand, has much smaller greek life. I know they added ADPi to their PC which brings their amount of NPC chapters to 4, and as far as fraternities go, there are only 6 in their IFC and 7 in other councils. They're Greek life is a lot smaller than FIU's but apparently its growing too.