GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,137
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asydneytianov33
» Online Users: 1,154
2 members and 1,152 guests
asydneytianov33, Mooch279

Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
I don't believe I have ever mentioned a soul in any post. I really don't believe I have seen others who have posted about a soul either but I could be wrong.
You didn't - I didn't ascribe such beliefs to you directly, but instead jumped in front of any similar arguments preemptively, and additionally gave support to my views through the same.

Quote:
I certainly don't consider a heartbeat to be an "imbued" characteristic as we all generally have to have one in order to live.
It is a necessary but not sufficient condition. You cannot survive on heartbeat alone - in fact, literally by definition, the baby cannot survive until it is viable, which relies on many factors (a heartbeat is one).

The ability to survive as a human is what should define "being a human."

Quote:
Maybe those who believe in the importance of a "woman's right to choose" lack a heart but not a heartbeat.
This is cute. It's also insipid, as is so often the case with cute things.

ADDED:

For the record, I don't consider the last statement ("lack a heart but not a heartbeat") a personal attack or an insult or anything like that - it's a rhetorical device but not one that rises to that level. So yeah, let's not pile onto GW for something he didn't do - reasonable people can disagree in reasonable fashion.

Last edited by KSig RC; 02-28-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I do believe that you are the one who mentioned that the child was a fetus until it exits the birth canal. If that is your positon then there are no rights confered to a "fetus" and a woman may choose to abort the "fetus" up to the time it exits the womb. This is an issue in which I have responded. Now I may have completely misunderstood one of your previous posts but here it is.

"There's no safe place to draw a line, as long as a fetus is dependent upon the woman's body to live, there is no ethical reason to force her to use her body to support another human life." - DF

If this is truly your position I stand by my statements. If not please feel free to correct me. I can only go by what is written.

Bottomline - I believe the child has a right to life while in the womb and you believe the "fetus" does not. I am sure I will not change your or others minds but so what?
So why post irrelevant material about Margaret Sanger or South Park? If you realize that we're at an impasse, then so be it. I can respect that you have your beliefs, but when you impose that upon a woman and tell her what she can or must do with HER body at any point in time, then I'm going to fight it.

Abortions will ideally be rare, late-term abortions are already incredibly rare. Trying to draw a hard and fast line in the sand is less productive than working on the other factors involved.

And this isn't even getting into providing adequate support for and removing the shame factor from single mothers. If we stop shaming and we start supporting these women, they're less likely to turn to abortion. And it's not just single mothers, financial reasons are a motivation behind abortion for all women, among other things. Instead of trying to ban abortion, which leads to more unsafe situations, increasing other supports will decrease the need for abortion.

Ironically, however, the people who fight the most for the "right to life" and the people who argue for cutting social supports seem to have more overlap than not.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
This is cute. It's also insipid, as is so often the case with cute things.
Now that is the proper way to insult someone. Stick it in and make them like it. Ha!
Old 03-01-2011, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
So why post irrelevant material about Margaret Sanger or South Park?
I posted about Margaret Sanger because many previous posts revolved around PP and how much good they were doing. Many were extolling its virtue. Some were also talking about how PP made a goodly percentage of its $$$ from abortion services. My point is/was that even the founder was not an abortion defender/advocate. She certainly had other idiosyncracies such as a belief in eugenics and that some people were inferior etc. but even she was opposed to abortion and felt it was taking a life.

I don't believe I posted anything about South Park. I never watch that show. I could be wrong but I do not remember that particular post.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I posted about Margaret Sanger because many previous posts revolved around PP and how much good they were doing. Many were extolling its virtue. Some were also talking about how PP made a goodly percentage of its $$$ from abortion services. My point is/was that even the founder was not an abortion defender/advocate. She certainly had other idiosyncracies such as a belief in eugenics and that some people were inferior etc. but even she was opposed to abortion and felt it was taking a life.

I don't believe I posted anything about South Park. I never watch that show. I could be wrong but I do not remember that particular post.
The views of a founder don't necessarily or actually reflect the realities of the organization today. Additionally it doesn't matter what she thought whether she believed in eugenics, or as others have suggested used the language to win support among people who DID believe in eugenics. Her opinion on abortion is as relevant as any woman's, neither more nor less.

And it was EW who made the SP reference, my bad.