GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,405
1 members and 2,404 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-02-2012, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Greenville is about 80 miles east of Raleigh.

Well then I must have gone through it at some point in time on our way to the beach. How did I miss it or why don't I remember it???? Of course, it's been quite a while.

This was the baseball game, not the basketball game.

BASEBALL! Wow - didn't see that coming. I had no idea baseball would be that big of a deal.

But yes, people get rather worked up about basketball here.
^^^Understate much..
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-02-2012, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post

ETA: I'd say UMD, but from experience during my time in MD, despite being the only game in town, no one really cares.
I'd make a comment here about this perhaps explaining their uhmmm....attention grabbing choice in football uniforms, but given that I'm a Oregon alum - not really in a great position to give anyone else grief on that score.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOmom View Post
^^^Understate much..
Just a little.

You wouldn't necessarily have gone through Greenville on the way to the beach from Raleigh/points west. It's on the way to the Pamlico Sound, but that's about it. Well, you could go that way to the Outer Banks as well, but it would take longer. Not the way I would go.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, then I feel better about it. All I remember is going through loads of tiny towns (not that I mean Greenville is tiny - I know it's not) that had Bar-B-Que ads all over the place. I know we went to Cape Hatteras but given the circumstances (lots of little kids in cars)- I doubt the relatives would have chosen the long route.

Last edited by AXOmom; 08-02-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
Isn't this a massive strawman though? Like, this point literally doesn't matter to this discussion, at all - and nobody really argued against it with any real aplomb.

The point you were making is that Penn State will still be able to field a football team? OK, acknowledged.
WOW. You.Are.A.Jackass. It was brought up in the discussion about how some people won't leave the team simply because they may have family members who attended Penn State and feel a sense of tradition. If you didn't see that in this thread at all, then maybe you should get your eyes checked.

You sure had me pegged! I'm a HUGE football fan! I live and breathe football! In fact, I graduated from a major basketball university and I literally breathe that sport too! Let's hope that no big scandals happen because I would hate for my beloved sports to be tarnished at that university too! Clearly, I attended Penn State for the football team! That's all us inbred Penn State rednecks have going for us. We don't do no book-learnin' or anything remotely important. Who cares about academics or raising money for philanthropy? Not us! We are too busy worryin' about whether or not we can play ball!

I'm pretty annoyed by the fact that I am expected to apologize for my university over and over again. I didn't do anything wrong. Frankly, I don't really care what you think.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Which, if you've ever lived in GA, is not really a rivalry on the scale of Alabama/Auburn, etc. UGA owns the state. So many students at Tech have academics as their top priority and not as many stick around in the area post-graduation as happens for UGA.

My husband grew up in Atlanta and is a Tech fan, but they're few and far between.
I agree. That's why I put ANY rivalry.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
WOW. You.Are.A.Jackass. It was brought up in the discussion about how some people won't leave the team simply because they may have family members who attended Penn State and feel a sense of tradition. If you didn't see that in this thread at all, then maybe you should get your eyes checked.

You sure had me pegged! I'm a HUGE football fan! I live and breathe football! In fact, I graduated from a major basketball university and I literally breathe that sport too! Let's hope that no big scandals happen because I would hate for my beloved sports to be tarnished at that university too! Clearly, I attended Penn State for the football team! That's all us inbred Penn State rednecks have going for us. We don't do no book-learnin' or anything remotely important. Who cares about academics or raising money for philanthropy? Not us! We are too busy worryin' about whether or not we can play ball!

I'm pretty annoyed by the fact that I am expected to apologize for my university over and over again. I didn't do anything wrong. Frankly, I don't really care what you think.

LOL. Does it hurt you that much? Really?

You kind of seem like a jackass in these threads. You are absent from any discourse but show up for discussions like this. You were definitely not this visible, passionate, and clearly outraged when discussing the details of the allegations, trial, and conviction.

We get it! You give a darn about your alma mater and are silent until it comes time to express how much you give a darn. We get it!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Banned

Oh...wow...uh...whoa...I have no words.

Comedian dresses as Paterno for Roseanne Barr roast.

This will be his 15 minutes of "fame."
Old 08-07-2012, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

It's a roast, though.

Tacky? Yes. But that's par for the course.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

^Pretty much.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
It's a roast, though.

Tacky? Yes. But that's par for the course.
I generally agree with you. As Whoopi Goldberg always says, roasts have always crossed the line and that is long before the media covered roasts.

On another note, comedians know that the media now covers roasts which means that comedians are not shocked and even anticipate that non-attendees will see things and respond to things. This is not the first time the public has responded to comedian's jokes and roasts. Jeffrey Ross is the same comedian who made the Colorado jokes. He did these "Paterno poses" for the cameras before the roast began. He knows exactly what he is doing for his 15 minutes of unfunny fame. That too is what many people are responding to. Inappropriate humor and "damn, this is wrong but it's funny" happens all of the time but that does not mean that every attempt at "dark comedy" works and is (even awkwardly) funny.

Last edited by DrPhil; 08-07-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Banned

Sandusky 'Victim 1' sues Penn State