GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,502
2 members and 2,500 guests
No Members online

Old 12-07-2003, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Zeta Gamma chapter in the news!

Check out the good work of Zeta Gamma chapter at Centre College, recognized by their institution for an outstanding Philanthropy project!

http://www.centre.edu/web/news/locks03.html

Hair today, gone tomorrow (for a good cause)
RELEASED: Dec. 4, 2003

DANVILLE, KY—What began as a small service project with limited participation has grown into a year-long philanthropic endeavor. The sisters of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority at Centre have chosen Locks of Love as their premier philanthropy for the 2003-2004 school year.

Locks of Love is a nonprofit organization that provides hairpieces composed entirely of human hair for financially disadvantaged boys and girls with medical hair loss. Since its inception in 1997, Locks of Love has helped more than 1,000 children.

More than one-third of the active members of the Zeta Gamma chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma are growing out the required 10 inches of hair to donate to Locks of Love. Most of the women will be cutting their hair in April. "It's very exciting to have such a large group of Kappas participating in this wonderful philanthropy. I'm extremely proud of all my sisters and their dedication to service," said chapter president Rachel Bressman, a senior from Nashville, Tenn.

"I'm really excited that I'm able to be one of the 23 young women who are going to donate their hair to Locks of Love. It's a great opportunity to help out those who have lost their hair, and when you have 22 others who are just as excited and supportive of each other, it really makes this event that much more special and rewarding," said senior Katherine Graybeal from Hixson, Tenn.

In addition to growing out their hair, the sorority is also raising $1,000 to pay for a child to go through the process of being fitted for and receiving a wig. The members plan to use a fund-raising "Inch-a-Thon" in which those participating will collect pledges per inch of haircut. The women are also hoping to get the Centre and Danville communities involved by collecting donated items for raffles.

"I'm particularly proud of the group for taking on this project," said Trina McFarland '97, director of service and leadership development at Centre. "I'm really touched by this particular project because it's so personal. Growing your hair out seems so simple, but it will make a huge difference in a child's life. That's what service is all about."

The following Centre students are growing their hair out for Locks of Love: Jenny Jarvis, Erin Grumley, Emily Taylor, Jenny Cheatham, Katherine Graybeal, Angie Ratliff, Rachel Harrod, Jill Embrey, Rebecca Tollefson, Leah Newton, Erin Henegar, Katherine Everett, Lisa Mudd, Rachel Johnson, Dana Patrick, Becky Barrick, Emily Tate, Lis Herrick, Nikki Smith, Lesley-Anne Bandy, Rachel Bressman and Rebecca Wells.

For more on Locks of Love, go to http://www.locksoflove.org/.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-08-2003, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

More media coverage!!!

The story was picked up and reprinted on 12/7/2003 in Danville, Kentucky's Advocate Messenger !

You can read the article online in the Advocate Messenger's website:

http://www.amnews.com/public_html/?m...43&format=html

I am so proud to serve Zeta Gamma as their PDC!!! Great going, ladies!!!
Old 12-09-2003, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

How great for the Zeta Gamma's!!
What a wonderful cause and story!
Old 12-09-2003, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

That's fantastic news and great recognition. What a good cause. I really hope this gets into the Key!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to po5mrk
I am really excited about the recognition this project is receiving! Thanks for all of the support!