GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,173
1 members and 2,172 guests
zdaidjunioro429

Old 12-14-2011, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing w/ early classes; will i get dropped (my 2nd and last question!)

Again, I'll be concise:
- I want to rush winter quarter, UCSB.
- However, I have all 8 AM classes, meaning that I will have trouble staying up very late on weekends and probably won't be able to attend any mixers, unless they are day-time/weekend.

Point being: could I get dropped/cut for, to be blunt, not partying enough? I fully intend to participate in all pledge activities and be a friendly/agreeable person when I am present at events, my circadian rhythms permitting.

I am a pre-med, so this is my last quarter where I'll have enough time to pledge (come spring i have to focus on extra-cirriculars). Thus, my sense of urgency.

-Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-14-2011, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Making time to pledge isn't enough. You need to make time to be an active member.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I would hope an organization would not drop you for not being a partier. Organizations need leaders as well as people who can do in the GPA. If you bring that to the table to a rush event, they'll give out bids for a better reason than just being the partier.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdod View Post
Again, I'll be concise:
- However, I have all 8 AM classes, meaning that I will have trouble staying up very late on weekends and probably won't be able to attend any mixers, unless they are day-time/weekend.

Point being: could I get dropped/cut for, to be blunt, not partying enough? I fully intend to participate in all pledge activities and be a friendly/agreeable person when I am present at events, my circadian rhythms permitting.

I am a pre-med, so this is my last quarter where I'll have enough time to pledge (come spring i have to focus on extra-cirriculars). Thus, my sense of urgency.

-Thanks!
Seriously? You're talking about one or two weeks for rush, and then mixers maybe once or twice a month during the semester. You are an adult. Get a cup of coffee/mountain dew/red bull the next morning and suck it up.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Also generally speaking chapter meetings are during the evening.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Seriously? You're talking about one or two weeks for rush, and then mixers maybe once or twice a month during the semester. You are an adult. Get a cup of coffee/mountain dew/red bull the next morning and suck it up.

+1...................
Old 12-15-2011, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffy11111 View Post
+1...................
At UCSB, fraternities generally have around 1 or 2 TGs (aka mixers) every week. But seriously, suck it up and drink a red bull, leave the party early, or don't go to every single one. We all party hard here, but we study hard too.

You DO need to make time to be an active member. Your active (key word here) involvement with the fraternity doesn't stop once you're initiated. You're saying more extracurriculars spring quarter? First see if you can balance school+a fraternity.

IFC recruitment at UCSB is pretty laidback (especially during winter--not all houses will participate), and most guys don't necessarily visit each house. It shouldn't be that big of a deal not to attend the event with the speeches. Keep in mind that every house may not be participating for winter, not even all of your 6 top choices. Check it out, but if you don't find your spot, usually all (or almost all) of the fraternities hold spring recruitment.

To the poster who thought the OP meant next fall, I think he means winter. UCSB is on a 3-quarter system and some of our fraternities do recruit all three quarters.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm thinking a pre-med guy who can't handle a couple late nights or juggling a lot of activities has a world of hurt in front of him. Any idea what your residency and internship will be like? You get to sleep after you're dead. If this isn't something you're cool with now, I would seriously start reconsidering your choice of profession.

Joining a fraternity might be a great idea for you because if you can't handle a social life, mandatory activities (social, philanthropic, study hours, etc.) along with a rigorous course of study at the undergrad level, you have no place thinking about med school. And now is a good time to find that out.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Dude I'm premed and our pledge process was 6 long HARD weeks i managed to keep a 3.65 gpa and attend EVERY event...it was difficult, but really fucking fun. You'll manage, but if you can't god help you if you get into medschool.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Again, I'll be concise:

-Thanks!
Unless mixers are done at Chucky Cheese, you're not going to find a lot of mixers happening during the day.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Enjoy your 8am classes - I would kill for one now. I get to work at 7am with a 45 minute commute. I sung Messiah last night that ended at 10pm and the dress rehearsal the night before lasted even later. This is a typical week for me, on top of my parenting duties. If you can't manage a decent social life in college, good luck in the real world.

God help you if you ever become a parent!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I'm on the road absolutely no later than 6:10am. I remember complaining about 8am classes... What I wouldn't give for that now.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I get to work when I get here. Just like college lol

Old 12-15-2011, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

If you can't jugle an 8am class and a party the night before at age 18-22 - don't plan on ever having a baby in your 30s! I roughly get 5 hours of interrupted sleep every night and have to go to work in the morning and be functioning. Learn to love caffine.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Again, I'll be concise:

-Thanks!
Depending on your organization, you can be removed from the group if you don't meet membership criteria. Some criteria might be attending a certain number of events. Being an active member requires more time than pledging, so if you barely have enough time as is, I recommend not joining a fraternity.