GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,075
2 members and 1,073 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Teacher Calls A Student the "N" Word, the "Slang Version"

http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/...49293&catId=49

Does it matter if it's, "N....r" or "N...ah"?
Old 02-04-2006, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

When Oprah had the cast members of the movie "Crash" on her show a few weeks or so ago, there was a gentleman on there who gave a really good statement on how and why the word has become common in our community. He said something to the effect of the younger people found a way, either consciously ot subconsciously to deal with the implications and baggage of that word by incorporating it into the day to day language. Sort of like commanding control over it to diffuse the power others have by using it. I can truly understand what he is trying to say.. I still feel, however, that the society should try to formulate another way to deal with this word though because everytime I hear people say "the N word" or some public figure calling for someone to resign or whatever when they say it, I get a little irritated. There is no way to legislate morality and no way to force people not to say something, no matter what the word is. Of course, in certain situations, clearly someone calling someone else the word should have consequences, but I think people are getting too sensitve about the words use, to the point where its going to make people use it even more. It just irks me when people do the whole thing when someone says nigger, whether its a black person or a white person, but even more so when its a white person when we all know whites and blacks use the word every day. The change in this culture is going to have to come from within people at this point. The laws have done as much changing as they're going to do and the rest is up to us. If we are so bothered by the word, despite the pshychological way in which we have decided to deal with it, we need to cleanse it from OUR vernacular in the black community. That way, when whites use it towards us, the problem will truly be theirs, and theirs alone.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

No. It doesn't matter what version, the teacher was very much in the wrong. He looked like a complete idiot trying to justify himself with the spelling lesson on camera. I can't believe he admitted on interview that he's been using that word in front of students for years. He's a bigger fool for trying to appeal the suspension. All he got was a slap on the wrists.

Is this standard policy if teachers are proven to have made any offensive remarks to students? Would he still have his job if he had called a female student the c-word?
Old 02-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to nonchalant
Red face Oh My!!!

I do not feel that there is any justifiable reason for an educator to use that word in any spelling to address another person in a professional setting. Whether it be a student, faculty member, staff member, etc. What you do on your own time is your business. Parents are already placing their trust in the school system to provide their child(ren) with the ultimate learning experience. Educators have a great responsibility, and many are looked at as mentors for the students. Some students may feel if it's okay for a teacher to use such language, I'm sure it's okay for me to speak the same. I'm sure the average person wouldn't look at this situation as pleasing. We all know there are some parents these days that wouldn't care. Looking at it on a professional level, I feel it's just unacceptable.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Just a thought...

What do you think would of happened if it was a black teacher who said the same thing?
Old 02-05-2006, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that the penalty should be the SAME across the board.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

This man should have taken his suspension and shut up about it. This attempt at explaining himself is actually making it worse.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by wrigley
He looked like a complete idiot trying to justify himself with the spelling lesson on camera. I can't believe he admitted on interview that he's been using that word in front of students for years. He's a bigger fool for trying to appeal the suspension. All he got was a slap on the wrists.
It was AWFUL! I have so much to say and no words to say it!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Been there, done that

I actually had a (white) substitute teacher call me the 'n' word back in elementary school (in TX in the 70s). Needless to say she never subbed in our (predominantly white) school again....enough white kids heard her say it, they went back and told their parents (as well as my telling my parents)...then the PTA was on the case....

It's unacceptable, no matter who says it (black or white).
Old 02-06-2006, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Happened to me, too. I was in the 3rd grade and this little white girl called me a n----r. I didn't know what she was talking about so I called her a n----r back. She ran and told the teacher, who alerted me to the fact that I, in fact, was the n----r. My mother was HOT and raised HELL all over that campus. I'll never forget that day. I got in the car and we were driving off as I told her. My mother turned that Cadi around so fast and was ready to break off a foot in someone's behind, very professionally and politely of course.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

this happened in my hometown....friends and I talked about it...it just isn't right....he should not have said it...but the students were behind him....*shrug*
#4 - The Professor
Spring 2001 - GenuOne
Xi - University of Louisville
Old 02-07-2006, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

This man's justification was absolutely NUTZ!!! He apparently has been saying it for some time because he said it "the right way" if you will. Especially the n___a please! Can you loan a n___a pencil? I was like
Old 02-07-2006, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: the sleeper cab of my tractor trailer all over the 48
Send a message via Yahoo to jojapeach
No, it does not matter. I'm an English teacher myself. I have enough difficulty teaching 9th graders that whatever way they choose to speak during their personal time is not always appropriate during school hours, and it probably won't be appropriate when they graduate and enter the work force. It's a delicate act to make sure you don't make them feel that the use of "finna", "ain't", etc. by themselves and their parents isn't wrong all the time (it's dialect/non-standard English), but it's a very important task that English teachers have to fulfill.

How in the world can I then teach them the correct way to use verbs and adverbs or even to be respectful of me, but I can let the "n" word slip out of my mouth??? "N___, you should say, 'May I?', not 'Can I'. You got that, lil N__?"

He needs to be smacked around.

OFF SUBJECT: Imagine how I feel each day having to teach a diverse poplulation to say "Chink Store" or "wetback" in class. They just don't get it. This generation unnerves me.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA2D '91 View Post
I think that the penalty should be the SAME across the board.
Seriously? For whatever reason, a lot of black people seem to enjoy calling each other that. While that makes absolutely no sense to me, its the truth. If a white teacher used it and offended somebody then they should be punished, if a black teacher used it then I think it's ok.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Holy 2 Year Old Thread Bump, Batman!

Did you do a search for the N word or something?
Closed Thread