GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Re: crackers

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik P Conard
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide,
and furthermore I have one grunch but the eggplant over there.
You hangin' with Earp sipping mint julips this fine afternoon??

Denise
Old 04-13-2006, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

This is less a question and more of a common fallacy...

The reason some campuses don't have sororities houses is just due to either lack of money to build or lack of available land to build upon.

Repeat after me: There is no such thing a brothel law!!!
Old 04-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
This is less a question and more of a common fallacy...

The reason some campuses don't have sororities houses is just due to either lack of money to build or lack of available land to build upon.

Repeat after me: There is no such thing a brothel law!!!
There is no such thing a brothel law!!!

There is no such thing a brothel law!!!

Actually, there IS a third option: the University involved have mandated that all sororities must "live" on campus and has provided Townhouses, Suites, or Chapter Rooms for them.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to audaz49 Send a message via Yahoo to audaz49
and there are laws which could possibly prevent sorority women from living together - some cities provide that no more than x amount of non-related persons live in the same dwelling.... though i know ames, ia has such a law, and also has fraternity/sorority houses - how the exception works, i don't know... i haven't looked into it that deeply
#49 Audaz
1 of 3, Spring '04
Gamma Chapter
Sigma Lambda Gamma
National Sorority Inc.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audaz49
and there are laws which could possibly prevent sorority women from living together - some cities provide that no more than x amount of non-related persons live in the same dwelling.... though i know ames, ia has such a law, and also has fraternity/sorority houses - how the exception works, i don't know... i haven't looked into it that deeply
Umm... What?

A) Where's the "and" come from??? Who starts a post in the middle of a sentence with "and"???

B) I'm sorry your shift button is broken. Invest $10 in a new keyboard.

C) Where did you find this law? What? Your best friend's uncle who lives three towns over has a cousin in Ames that dates the mayor's niece and she told you. Then I'm sure it's 100% true. Really.

Edited because I can't spell...but my SHIFT key sure works!

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 04-13-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
Umm... What?
A) Where's the "and" come from??? Who starts a post in the middle of a sentence with "and"???
B) I'm sorry your shift button is broken. Invest $10 in a new keyboard.
C) Where did you find this law? What? Your best friend's uncle who lives three towns over has a cousin in Ames that dates the mayor's niece and she told you. Then I'm sure it's 100% true. Really.

I won't say that it is a brothel law for sure because I myself didn't investigate it, but I lived in New Orleans during grad school, and I know that sorority women are NOT allowed to live in their houses. Those that don't have residence somewhere else off campus, live in the dorms. I've heard it is due to a brothel law, and being New Orleans it wouldn't surprise me if it was due to such law, but again I can't prove it...as of yet.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

If there was a law, it wouldn't be a "brothel" law, it would be a law against a certain amount of unrelated people (not just women) living together. Not a brothel law, not a law only applicable to women. There would be no way to enforce a law that only applied to women living together and no men, as it would be unconstitutionally discriminatory.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.snopes.com/college/halls/brothel.asp

PSimissU
Old 04-13-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KLPDaisy
I really, really, really wanna be in an NPHC sorority, but I don't know which one. Can I rush all of them? Also do you think I can wear a pink suit with a green top to AKA's rush? And I'm white, do you think that will hurt my chances?
Or better yet:
"I *AM GOING TO BE* be an AKA, and I have rented out the Goodyear Blimp (painted in pink and green, no less) to fly over _____ University proclaiming that I am GOING TO join them."

oy......

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 04-13-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

i didn't say anything about it being a brothel law, it is a city ordinance (law) that no more than 3 unrelated persons of either sex may live in a single dwelling in ames, ia. ames municiple code (under rental housing, bottom of page 1 into top of page 2) how do i know? i lived there when the ordinance was challenged at the city council meeting. i also plan on moving back there this year. it was all over the news IN AMES. now, i don't know if anyone else cares outside of ames, but it was a big deal for those of us who lived off campus and in larger houses (not sorority/fraternity, but actual houses we rented).

as far as the petty comments regarding my post structure and grammar... well, as i said, they're petty and meaningless.

edited to correct facts related to ordinance and add link
#49 Audaz
1 of 3, Spring '04
Gamma Chapter
Sigma Lambda Gamma
National Sorority Inc.

Last edited by audaz49; 04-13-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I know Riverside County is big on that...UCR and Cal Poly Pomona have that rule and I think it is crazy...I think the best part of being in an house is somewhere that you can esacpe the dorms and relax with your organization
Old 04-18-2006, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Post from 2001 (Newbie does not check date of OP to see that the OPer has probably graduated 3 years prior)

Newbie: Rants about how much of a loser the OP is. Ditto for OP's sorority/fraternity. More general ranting. None of the ranting contains punctuation, grammar, or capital letters.

Moral: Before you rant on a thread, you might just check the date to see if anything you're saying may actually still apply.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audaz49
If it's anything like my college town, the law only applies to areas that are zoned "single-family residential." The campus is not part of a zone like that so the sororities and fraternities are exempt from the law.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:42 PM

Not everyone's fraternity/sorority houses are on the campus.

Also, some laws are written that do include the campus land - it's different in every city/county/state.

But at any rate, there's still no brothel law.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by girliegator
If it's anything like my college town, the law only applies to areas that are zoned "single-family residential." The campus is not part of a zone like that so the sororities and fraternities are exempt from the law.
Thanks for that explanation. I did end up looking it up in the city ordinances, and it is a zoning difference. The houses aren't *ON* the campus, but very near, and have been zoned similarly to the dorms.
#49 Audaz
1 of 3, Spring '04
Gamma Chapter
Sigma Lambda Gamma
National Sorority Inc.
Closed Thread