GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,164
0 members and 2,164 guests
No Members online

Old 03-24-2005, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess it just wasn't meant to be

I know I haven't posted in a long while, but I figured I owed y'all the end result of my BSP quest....

I went to two meetings late last summer/fall, and I dunno, it just didn't "click" with the ladies in the chapter I visited. I felt more like a third wheel....not that the sisters weren't friendly, they were VERY friendly with each other, and I just felt so much like an outsider. I thought maybe a second visit/event would help, but it just didn't feel right.

I got contacted by one other chapter in my area, but didn't get invited to anything, and so I guess my quest is over.

I'm mid-30's, recently divorced, and was really hoping to connect with some female friends - b/c I really don't have any where I'm at. (All my good friends are 2-3 hours away) So sadly, it doesn't look like it was meant to be.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm really sorry that you had an unpleasant experience. I apologize, on behalf of my sisters, for your feelings of not being included. This can be a problem in long established chapters, sadly.

Perhaps another opportunity will present itself in the future. New chapters open often, so keep your eyes open.

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 05-06-2005, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

a new hope

I just got a letter from someone who's putting together an FV in my city! I'm excited, that maybe this is the way that I'll be able to become a BSP!! *wish me luck* that this will go better than my chapter visit...
Old 05-06-2005, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

My fingers are crossed for you! Let us know how it goes!
Old 05-07-2005, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Somewhere between Good Morning America and Jerry Springer.
Good luck on the FV!
Old 05-10-2005, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

How exciting!! I hope that you find the FV to be a great experience.

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 06-22-2005, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I've been invited to pledge and I have accepted. My biggest concern is age, both physical years, and sorority experience. I will be the youngest member at 26 and with the exception of 1 other member the newest to BSP by like oh 7-14 years or so.. They are also talking about capping their membership, so the odds of bringing in new people closer to my age are lessening. I absolutely love the women, but I have several friends that I would love to introduce to the chapter, but feel like it is not desired at this point. Should I take my concerns to the chapter, and maybe persue a friendly venture instead? Or could I use the chapter as a springboard into sorority and perhaps break off into a friendly venture in the future after I've completed the pledge period and know a bit more about the sorority? I'm conflicted.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:10 PM

I wouldnt let the age thing necessarily be a factor. I'm also 26 and am the youngest member in my chapter. All of the others are in their 30's with the next youngest being 32 and the oldest being 38 and next year when I'm married I'll be the youngest member with the oldest kids(step kids). Unless you feel like you cant connect with these women on the level you would like because of age I wouldnt worry about it.

About bringing in some of your friends into the chapter. I would just bring this up with your membership officer and the president. The talk about capping your chapter may be all that it is; just talk. I would talk to them about it and tell them you have some friends you would like to try to bring in and your concerns about it and see what they say.