GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,033
0 members and 1,033 guests
No Members online

Old 11-22-2015, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it is going to come down to $$$$$ as to who is interested. Several of these openings are going to require housing and some of these with no University support for housing (A&M comes to mind).
Old 11-28-2015, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

While Pittsburg State Un., Kansas is not a flagship school, there is a need.

There are six Fraternities, (LXA,SX, PKA,PSK, SPE, and STG), there are only three Sororities,(ASA,AGD, and SSS). At one time, there was ADP which closed along with DR (LOCAL) that had a chance to go with PM, and DZ that lasted for two years. Because of member quota that the current Sororities placed upon them selves, none can meet the numbers. The past National of AGD an Alum tried to get that changed but couldn't! So, if any ladies have the nerve, give PSU a chance. Great school with six Fraternities and only three sororities!! Go for it ladies! Almost virgin ground. What is needed is one with Local chapters who can help them!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-28-2015, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
While Pittsburg State Un., Kansas is not a flagship school, there is a need.

There are six Fraternities, (LXA,SX, PKA,PSK, SPE, and STG), there are only three Sororities,(ASA,AGD, and SSS). At one time, there was ADP which closed along with DR (LOCAL) that had a chance to go with PM, and DZ that lasted for two years. Because of member quota that the current Sororities placed upon them selves, none can meet the numbers. The past National of AGD an Alum tried to get that changed but couldn't! So, if any ladies have the nerve, give PSU a chance. Great school with six Fraternities and only three sororities!! Go for it ladies! Almost virgin ground. What is needed is one with Local chapters who can help them!!!
That's not how it works (cue the commercial with the little old ladies and the Facebook wall and unfriending).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 11-29-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
That's not how it works (cue the commercial with the little old ladies and the Facebook wall and unfriending).
That's not how any of this works! Lol
Old 11-29-2015, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Has Clemson made a decision yet to open or not?
Old 11-29-2015, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
I'm thinking West Georgia needs to open with the departure of Tri Delta? That would be way against their culture though.....

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 11-29-2015, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't personally know anything but I heard they were trying to get the suspension repealed.

Plus total is only like 96 there, and all the groups COB every spring. I think they need a few more years before they're a contender for expansion, but that's just my thoughts.

Last edited by Griffins&Quills; 11-29-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
Has Clemson made a decision yet to open or not?
Paging clemsongirl!

(although no announcement shows on Clemson's Greek Life twitter page)

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel like I remember her saying they had formed an exploratory committee, so that's why I was wondering
Old 11-29-2015, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I feel like I remember her saying they had formed an exploratory committee, so that's why I was wondering
Yes, CG posted in lanesig's thread about the exploratory committee.

For those who can't/won't look-up twitter: Clemson's Greek Life twitter also stated Panhellenic Elections finished November 19, with most individual chapters electing new exec boards by November 22. Then came Thanksgiving break, which means we most likely will find out something in January as final exams begin December 7.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't personally know anything but I heard they were trying to get the suspension repealed.

Plus total is only like 96 there, and all the group's COB every spring. I think they need a few more years before they're a contender for expansion, but that's just my thoughts.
Just because a group appeals a suspension, does not mean anything will come of it. Nothing will come of an appeal in this situation. The system has shown growth and the houses can not accommodate the number of women going through recruitment. I'm not saying that they are a top 5 school needing expansion, however, they expanded before a top tier sorority left, and now there is that void that needs to be filled. It wouldn't be out of the question to expand there.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 11-29-2015, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm just looking in comparison to other nearby schools. GCSU has 6 groups, total 220, and yes they just stacked two new groups, Tech has 7 groups, total 200+ and they're open for the first time since 2008, Southern has 7 groups, total 220, with a new group colonizing, KSU has 7 groups, 2 newly colonized, total over 180. West Georgia has 7 groups without TriDelt and total is less than half of the others. Just looking at those numbers, the fact that they have all COBed several springs in a row, and most usually add more girls following primary recruitment to stay at that total, plus if you look back through the NPC Recruitment/Chapter listing threads, growth hasn't been that significant. It just doesn't make sense to me at this point in time. Of course, I could be wrong, I'm no expert, just looking at the data.

Y: Q/T
2011: 25/73
2012: 25/73
2013: 31/73
2014: 28/101
2015: 26/96

Last edited by Griffins&Quills; 11-29-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm just looking in comparison to other nearby schools. GCSU has 6 groups, total 220, and yes they just stacked two new groups, Tech has 7 groups, total 200+ and they're open for the first time since 2008, Southern has 7 groups, total 220, with a new group colonizing, KSU has 7 groups, 2 newly colonized, total over 200. West Georgia has 7 groups without TriDelt and total is less than half of the others. Just looking at those numbers, and the fact that they have all COBed several springs in a row, and most usually add more girls following primary recruitment to stay at that total, it just doesn't make sense to me.
There is no way that THEY ALL COB, as you have stated. They set total as average chapter size, thus there's shouldn't be more than 3 or 4 chapters COBing max, which is the same as any other school. If there is a retention issue, perhaps they should look at a 2 tiered total, but your arguments don't make sense for the campus in question.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just saying that I personally don't see them as a viable candidate for extension at this point in time, especially considering comparable nearby schools have the same number of groups and significantly larger totals.

And looking at IP's thread from last year, every single group at West Georgia took spring new members, which is the non-primary recruitment period, so, every group did COB, leading me to think that total was too high....so....?
Old 11-29-2015, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

They set total after fall recruitment so some will be below and some above. However, December graduations, departures, etc will give groups opportunities for COB in the spring. Keep that in mind.