GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,137
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asydneytianov33
» Online Users: 1,157
2 members and 1,155 guests
asydneytianov33, Mooch279

Old 07-17-2010, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Just finished: The Murder of King Tut - James Patterson
I'm on like an Egyptian kick... this wasn't really all that great though. Jumps around to 3 different time periods and I'm not a fan of that.

Reading now: The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown (finally!!!)
I've been wanting to read this one for awhile but am finally getting the chance.
Yay!!

btw Finger Lickin' Fifteen (which I was reading last time I posted) was just strange. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. It took me awhile to get into it too.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I picked up The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall this week. Great read so far

...and it makes me wish the new season of Big Love would hurry up and start!!
Old 07-18-2010, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
just finished reading The Means of Reproduction: Sex, Power, and the Future of the World
A GD
Old 07-19-2010, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

i'm almost done reading The Color of Water by James McBride
Read it before, it is a pretty good book.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Just finished "Someone Like You" - Sarah Dessen
It was okay, but I wasn't really all that impressed.

Going to start "I Just Want You to Know" - Kate Gosselin
Old 07-25-2010, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post

Unwind - You know the line parents use about how they should let you abort teenagers because no one would be against that? It's sort of a ridiculous premise but utterly believable as written.

The Hunger Games and Catching Fire - Post-apocalyptic society set in what used to be the US, kids from 12-18 fight to the death in the arena for the entertainment of (not quite) all who watch.

Handmaid's Tale - Classic, post apocalyptic society that has adopted some of the most conservative and restrictive precepts of religion. Told by a woman who doesn't even have her own name any more.

Oryx and Crake
- Depressing, science could kill us all too. But well written if you like Atwood.

The Giver - also classic, a world where everything's the same (2 sequels)

The Forest of Hands and Teeth
- Imagine living in a city surrounded by a fence. And on the other side the dead walk. (I didn't much like the ending, I haven't read the sequel and hold out hope that it's better.)
We have very similar tastes! These are all favorites of mine. I also love "Year of the Flood" by Margaret Atwood -- same universe as "Oryx and Crake," from a different perspective.

I just finished "Shades of Grey" by Jasper Fforde, which I really liked -- kind of a "Brave New World" vibe with absurdist humor.

I also finished "The Maze Runner," another YA dystopian novel, which is the first of a trilogy (I think the second book comes out in October). Not as good as "The Hunger Games," but entertaining.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Eat, Pray, Love. I just finished the Italy section. I like it a lot so far!

After that I'm on a mission to read the must read "classics" because there's a LOT I haven't read (i.e. To Kill a Mockingbird, The Catcher in the Rye, Catch 22, 1984, etc.) Most of I didn't read simply because they were never assigned in high school, lol. Then there were a few that were assigned in high school (like Pride and Prejudice) that I just skimmed & sparknotes.com'd. Then there's a few (The Great Gatsby) that I just don't remember.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

King, Kaiser, Tsar; Three Royal Cousins Who Lead the World to War by Catrine Clay
Old 07-25-2010, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm currently reading through Understanding Wall Street, haha! I just finished Liar's Poker a week or so ago. Absolutely loved it.
ΦΒ To be rather than to seem to be.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADqtPiMel View Post
We have very similar tastes! These are all favorites of mine. I also love "Year of the Flood" by Margaret Atwood -- same universe as "Oryx and Crake," from a different perspective.

I just finished "Shades of Grey" by Jasper Fforde, which I really liked -- kind of a "Brave New World" vibe with absurdist humor.

I also finished "The Maze Runner," another YA dystopian novel, which is the first of a trilogy (I think the second book comes out in October). Not as good as "The Hunger Games," but entertaining.
I have YotF on audio in my "will get to someday" folder.

I like Jasper Fforde. Have you read his Tuesday Next books and the spinoff series?

Maze Runner... ehhhh I wanted to smack Thomas. He reminded me of my younger brother. Doing something really stupid then getting all defensive with "I just wanted to help!" I was sitting there going, no you weren't. That was like the least helpful thing you could have done. No matter how it worked out in the end.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Enjoyed the Kate Gosselin book. Good for anyone who enjoyed that show.

Currently reading:
Behind the Bedroom Door - Essays About Sex by Today's Most Gifted Women Writers
I heard it was interesting & funny at times, so when I saw it at the lib. the other day I thought I'd look into it
Old 07-26-2010, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I have YotF on audio in my "will get to someday" folder.

I like Jasper Fforde. Have you read his Tuesday Next books and the spinoff series?

Maze Runner... ehhhh I wanted to smack Thomas. He reminded me of my younger brother. Doing something really stupid then getting all defensive with "I just wanted to help!" I was sitting there going, no you weren't. That was like the least helpful thing you could have done. No matter how it worked out in the end.
I totally agree, the characterization in Maze Runner is pitiful. The only reason I liked it was because I'm a sucker for mazes. Ha!

I want to read the Tuesday Next books, but the small library in my neighborhood never has the first one. I need to get over to the big library.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADqtPiMel View Post
I totally agree, the characterization in Maze Runner is pitiful. The only reason I liked it was because I'm a sucker for mazes. Ha!

I want to read the Tuesday Next books, but the small library in my neighborhood never has the first one. I need to get over to the big library.
Heh.

Tuesday next are good. Interlibrary loans?
Old 07-28-2010, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I finished reading "Long White Con" by Iceberg Slim & it was pretty good. I noticed that Iceberg Slim's books are slower reads & don't pick up until the middle of the book.

Next I'll be reading "Airtight Willie and Me" by Iceberg Slim.
"Having a nasty attitude won't yield you the results you want when you want them; it'll just make people steer clear of you and your toxicity in order to keep from being contaminated by you and your nastiness."- Me
Old 08-17-2010, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I finished reading "Airtight Willie and Me" by Iceberg Slim & I liked it more than his other books b/c it was a faster read, but still kinda slow. I also read The Candy Shop by Kiki Swinson and Death before Dishonor by Nikki Turner. I really loved those books, but I didn't really like the way The Candy Shop ended & wished the main character would've gotten herself together in order to be a part of her daughter's life.
"Having a nasty attitude won't yield you the results you want when you want them; it'll just make people steer clear of you and your toxicity in order to keep from being contaminated by you and your nastiness."- Me