GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 868
1 members and 867 guests
Xidelt

Old 11-03-2003, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia: Red, Black and Gold.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianMUDU
Hey Tom,

What do you mean by most correct for heraldry? I was a little stumped by that.
The ancient art of heraldry is governed by a number of rules, which are designed to make sure that coats-of-arms (never properly called "crests") are atttractive and distinctive. (Remember that arms were first used on the battlefield and tournament field to distinguish knights covered in armour -- they do little good if they can't be easily distinguished.) The exact rules can vary from country to country. (That is, what is prohibited in English heraldry might be okay in Scottish or German heraldry.)

Among the basic rules are things like a color (e.g., red, blue, green, black) must never be placed on another color, nor may a metal (gold [yellow] or silver [white]) be placed on another metal. The only indispensible parts of a coat-of-arms is the shield, although a crest (the decoration over the shield, originally worn on the helmet) and perhaps a motto are also commonly included. Other parts, including supporters, helmet, mantling (the material around the shield) are optional, but there are rules about how they should be used if they are used.

With no disrespect at all meant to Lambda Chi Alpha's arms, it is inaccurate to say they are the most heraldically correct of any GLO. They are probably the most heraldically intricate and complicated -- they use more of the optional parts of a coat-of-arms, and with one or two possible exceptions, everything is done according to heradlic rules -- but there are other, simpler GLO coats-of-arms that are just as "correct" heraldically speaking. The arms of Beta Theta Pi, Alpha Tau Omega, Tau Kappa Epsilon, FIJI and yes, Delta Upsilon come to mind as arms that are completely correct according to the rules of heraldry and that conform to the heraldic goal of distinctiveness and easy identification. More intricate does not equal more correct.

None of that gets into the meaning of arms, of course. The arms of my own fraternity, while not heraldically correct, are nevertheless extremely meaningful to my brothers and me.

Last edited by MysticCat; 11-03-2003 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

we have a coat of arms for nationals as well as individual chapters, i think DKE is the only other fraternity that does this. BTW Psi U's colors r garnett and gold
Old 11-03-2003, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Sigma Phi - Nile Green, White, and White (Don't ask)
Old 11-03-2003, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Sigma Phi's colors are cardinal and stone (red and gray). However, the coat of arms makes no use of these colors; only argent (silver), sable (black) and or (gold). The specific meanings of the colors on the coat of arms is considered secret.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 11-03-2003, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Epsilon Sigma Phi's colors are Forest Green and Ivory.

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 11-03-2003, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

mysticat, by the most correct, It is just as I said.

If you look at the LXA Coat of Arms, (Crest), the things placed on it are from what was done in the Heraldry of the Days of Youre!

The way things are placed means something, the ---well, I cannot get into it to much, but each pearl of the Badge means something, the Shield and what is placed on it, the drapings, the helmut or anything else was designed by some one who was one of our Founders to exemtalyphy what the True meaning was of what the Foundation ment to the Ritual and Foundation of LXA really is.

There are certain parts that incorporate the inclussion of TKN in 1939 when the largest merger in Greek History happened. But still remained Hereladitic true.

While not looking down at anyother Greek Organization, there is more intricat value to LXA than anyother.

Example, the scrolling down the sides of the Coat of Arms is the tattered remenits of the Flags that they bore in battle. The Helmut is for the Squire (New Associate Member), etc, etc.

These are all open for interpretation on the LXA International Web Site or teh Paedagogus of LXA!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-03-2003, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhiDelt649 Send a message via Yahoo to PhiDelt649
Phi Delta Theta's Colors are Argent and Azure.

I think our coat-of-arms is pretty damn good lookin' myself:

If that doesn't work, you can go to this link to see it

:-)
Old 11-03-2003, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kateshort Send a message via AIM to kateshort Send a message via Yahoo to kateshort
Quote:
Originally posted by PhiDelt649
Phi Delta Theta's Colors are Argent and Azure.

I think our coat-of-arms is pretty damn good lookin' myself:

If that doesn't work, you can go to this link to see it

:-)
Wow! Someone else from Valpo! That's kind of rare around here. :P

I always thought Phi Delta Theta had a cool pin and a cool coat of arms.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhiDelt649 Send a message via Yahoo to PhiDelt649
LOL, don't mean to burst your bubble, but Im not from Valpo. :-( I just got the pic from there. Im actually from Kent State.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
mysticat, by the most correct, It is just as I said.

If you look at the LXA Coat of Arms, (Crest), the things placed on it are from what was done in the Heraldry of the Days of Youre!

While not looking down at anyother Greek Organization, there is more intricat value to LXA than anyother.
Tom, with all due respect to Lambda Chi Alpha (and I think a lot of respect is indeed due), the most intricate does not mean the most correct. I am sure that as with many if not most GLOs, each aspect of Lambda Chi's arms has significance -- some of which can be shared with others and some of which is shared with initiates only. The arms of my fraternity are intricately and deeply meaningful to my brothers and me as well, although I will readily admit that those arms do not comply strictly with the rules of heraldry.

As I said earlier, Lambda Chi's arms are probably the most heraldically intricate and complicated of any GLO's -- they use more of the optional parts of a coat-of-arms, and with one or two possible exceptions (which I can PM you about if you like), everything is done according to heraldic rules -- but there are other, simpler GLO coats-of-arms that are just as "correct" heraldically speaking. Beta Theta Pi, Alpha Tau Omega, Tau Kappa Epsilon, FIJI, Delta Upsilon, Sigma Chi and Phi Delta Theta (just to pick some examples, and not even getting into sororities) all have arms that are completely correct according to heraldic rules. They may not be as intricate Lambda Chi's, but they are just as "correct" as Lambda Chi's. That is to say, they each have the necessary components of a coat-of-arms and they each follow heraldic rules in the design of those components.

The reality is that unlike many European and British Commonwealth countries, the US has no heraldic authority that regulates the design and use of arms. The result is that individuals and groups are free to use whatever design they like, and adherance to the rules of heraldry is the exception rather than the rule here. I think that's okay -- as long as the arms have meaning for those who use them and are distinctive enough to avoid confusion, then what's the problem?

Last edited by MysticCat; 11-04-2003 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how all this got started but I have to agree against TOM... you are seeing your "crest" for all its deeper meaning but to me it holds no deeper meaning, just like my "crest" has deeper meaning for me, but not you.

We have a new member coat-of-arms and an initated member "crest" because Emily Helen Butterfield had studied the heraldic code. And I think that we have one of the most identifiable crests because of the clear symbols and distinct colors... ignore spelling, please.

I don't know that anyone here can make the argument that their coat of arms means more than another... we in AGD don't even find out the full meaning of our crest until we graduate and go through rededication. And I'm sure that we are not the only group that has this stage of membership.
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 11-04-2003, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pirate00
Alpha Phi Omega: Blue and Gold

More correctly its Royal Blue and Old Gold.
Section 71 Chair
Old 11-23-2003, 02:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to Zetagymnast Send a message via Yahoo to Zetagymnast
Quote:
Originally posted by Indy2000
Phi Alpha Delta, pre-law fraternity is gold and purple.
I thought Phi Alpha Delta was Gold and Blue.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to Zetagymnast Send a message via Yahoo to Zetagymnast
I am going to add some more locals to this list:

Beta Alpha Theta- Orange and Navy Blue
Gamma Psi Gamma- Orange and Navy Blue
Alpha Delta Rho- Black and Red
Delta Alpha Sigma- Black and Red
Delta Psi Epsilon- Purple and Lime Green
Eta Xi Mu- Red and Yellow
Kappa Iota Sigma- Gold and Navy Blue
Zeta Alpha Gamma Psi- Forest Green and Gold
Zeta Lambda Psi- Turquoise and Black