GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,930
1 members and 1,929 guests
Cookiez17

Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
Sorry to say I think you are becoming a little too invested in Greek affairs to be healthy.
One of my best Friends is a member of Nu Phi. I was simply stating my opinion on the matter, which I certainly heard about often enough as it was going on. I don't consider that to be "too invested".

Old 11-20-2012, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
My question upon reading that is, does Omega Delta Sigma really have a written age limit in their bylaws, or is that what the 31 year old is telling himself after not getting a bid?

If a purely social group wants to discriminate on a certain thing like that (i.e. you have to be a veteran to join) it can get dicey.
I can't answer that question, but this is what Omega Delta Sigma says about the matter.

http://www.omegadeltasigma.com/eligi...-for-prospects

Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscherrypie View Post
One of my best Friends is a member of Nu Phi. I was simply stating my opinion on the matter, which I certainly heard about often enough as it was going on. I don't consider that to be "too invested".
It's not just that. It's a cumulative thing. Someone told you in another thread that going to the places where Greeks on your campus are found is revisiting the scene of your disappointment and it won't help you move forward. I think coming to Greek chat is doing the same. Please understand that I am saying this out of love and concern. I don't think it's very good for your heart and soul and you should talk to someone about it.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscherrypie View Post
I can't answer that question, but this is what Omega Delta Sigma says about the matter.

http://www.omegadeltasigma.com/eligi...-for-prospects
Exactly my point. There are no age guidelines listed there.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

What if I wanted to start a new chapter of Alpha Phi at University of Georgia? How do I know if we are open for expansion or not?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

You can't just start one, the university has to be open for expansion. I do not believe that they're on that list.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I know I would have to bring it to the Panhellenic Council and etc, so I know you can't just start one. I was just curious to know if we are open for expansion. I don't really know where I would find that information.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

LaneSig would know, among others, but I don't even remember the last time that UGa expanded. A ton of money is required!

At most big schools, the need to expand is determined by PH and its member sororities, not by people coming to them.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

And there would likely be competition among NPC sororities for who would get selected. If you are an alumna of Alpha Phi who has transferred, I'd look into that group I've just recently heard about Chi Gamma (Chapterless Greeks). If you are not affiliated, but just think they're a great sorority, then you should probably change your tactic and reach out to Panhel about the possibilities of ANY expansion. It does seem reasonable that UGA could expand, but those big EXPENSIVE tradition-laden schools don't make changes just willy-nilly. Even if they decided to expand, it likely wouldn't happen before 2015 in the best case scenario. There are schools were Panhel could bring up expansion at their meeting this week, vote on it next week, send out notices, get proposals, make a choice and have colony expansion within 6 months, but UGA would NOT be one of those. Too many women, too much politics, too much MONEY and too much PR, physical housing issues, and a whole littany of things that would have to be resolved before a sorority could even submit their proposal.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Ha this is why I asked. I figured it would take a bunch to start a new chapter at UGA since our Greek system is so large and everyone has a house. If I ever wanted to go through with this, I could bring up expansion at one of the Panhellenic Meetings then? And then of course it's up to them to vote and etc I guess, which could take a long time. And then different sororities would compete for the open spot?
Old 10-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

No, THEY would bring it up, no outside help needed. You don't go to them. And then no national group might even be interested because of the things we mentioned.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Ohh gotcha. I was just curious since UGA hasn't expanded since 1987 when Delta Zeta came, so I thought it might be a topic of interest since every year here WAY more girls rush than there are actually spots, but I guess it's really up to them then. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmartin94028 View Post
I thought it might be a topic of interest since every year here WAY more girls rush than there are actually spots, but I guess it's really up to them then. Thanks for the help.
Nope, WAY more girls do not rush than there are spots for at UGA. The girls who are not placed either do not have the required grades, are dropped by all chapters for some reason or another, drop from recruitment themselves because they do not like the invitations they have left. The amount of girls each chapter can take is figured using the number of women who have been invited to attend preference round. If there are 10 chapters and 1000 women are invited to preference, then each of the 100 chapters can take 100 women. The only campus in the country where WAY more girls go through than there are sports for is Indiana.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Plus, there are dormant chapters at UGA that might want to try to reestablish their org if the campus ever opened for expansion. I know DPhiE and A Xi D have dormant chapters there.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Do either DPhiE or AXiD still own their chapter houses at UGA?