GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto

Old 02-23-2010, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

a greek commuter with a lower gpa?

Hi everyone,

Ok so formal rush is over and I didn't end up going through with it. However, there's going to be a new sorority on campus, gamma phi beta, and they're having informal next week. They haven't accepted anyone from the formal rush yet. My GPA is 2.53 and the minimum GPA is a 2.4 to rush. Also, I'm a commuter, but I will be living on campus this summer and next year. So basically do I even have a chance at being accepted? Also would it be bad to say that I had a 1.9 last year, but i switched majors, improved my life, and now have the 2.5. It shows that I am improving.

Thanks, I'm really nevous because I really want to join it.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandeeee View Post
Hi everyone,

Ok so formal rush is over and I didn't end up going through with it. However, there's going to be a new sorority on campus, gamma phi beta, and they're having informal next week. They haven't accepted anyone from the formal rush yet. My GPA is 2.53 and the minimum GPA is a 2.4 to rush. Also, I'm a commuter, but I will be living on campus this summer and next year. So basically do I even have a chance at being accepted? Also would it be bad to say that I had a 1.9 last year, but i switched majors, improved my life, and now have the 2.5. It shows that I am improving.

Gamma Phi probably has certain things they look for in PNMs. We are not part of the team that's conducting the colonization, so we do not know what your chances are.

However, I'd consider this: alot of women turn out for most colony recruitments (including freshmen with high GPAs from HS), and a 2.5 doesn't look so hot in comparison to other girls who will have better grades. That's barely above the minimum.

Of course you never know what could happen. Whether you should participate is up to you. Good luck.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-24-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
a 2.5 doesn't look so hot in comparison to other girls who will have better grades. That's barely above the minimum.

And that's the minimum to rush. Individual chapters often have higher standards. I would think for a colonization they would probably aim even higher.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm lane-swerving a bit, but . . .

How do you know you want to join? You haven't met any of the other potential new members, so you have no way of knowing whether you can see them as sisters or not. When you go to any recruitment events, remember that just like they're deciding whether you'd be a good fit, you're deciding whether they'd be a good fit.

One other reminder: Be discreet about what you say here. It's pretty simple to figure out where Gamma Phi Beta is currently holding informal recruitment for a new colony, and if your username is any indication of your real name, it'd be pretty easy to figure out who you are.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

ok thank you everyone for the feed back. my school minimum is a 2.4 so i am just a little above that. and as for the "secrecy" comment, I didn't realize saying the name was a bad thing. If they did see this wouldn't they be happy to know that someone really wants to join? And I want to join because I thought being apart of a new sorority on campus would be such a unique experience. Also, some of my freinds are rushing it and I met a lot of other girls and liked them too.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
and as for the "secrecy" comment, I didn't realize saying the name was a bad thing. If they did see this wouldn't they be happy to know that someone really wants to join?
I didn't say be secret about it. I said be discreet. Don't say anything here you wouldn't want them to hear you say. That's all.

Quote:
And I want to join because I thought being apart of a new sorority on campus would be such a unique experience. Also, some of my freinds are rushing it and I met a lot of other girls and liked them too.
Fair enough.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I didn't say be secret about it. I said be discreet. Don't say anything here you wouldn't want them to hear you say. That's all.
Ok yea I misunderstood. Thanks for the heads up lol.