GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,585
2 members and 1,583 guests
aaexeyttsa3383

Old 02-10-2010, 04:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that treating new members this way only leads to feelings of resentment that then get directed at the next batch of new members. As someone in the new member period myself, my chapter has gone above and beyond to make me feel at home. In my opinion, earning respect is mutual. They deserve yours, but you also deserve theirs. I would definitely talk to your pledge mama. Maybe they didn't mean for it to come out as harsh as it did? Good luck!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:24 AM
GreekChat Member

In what way did they disrespect you?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch2tf View Post
In what way did they disrespect you?
This is what I don't see. I hear this buzz phrase that "respect is earned" and that it is a two way street (i. e., you have to respect me before I respect you). People throw out these sentiments rather easily, often without defining with any deal of clarity wherein the disrespectful action lies.

I don't have to be "nice" to be respectful. I don't have to coddle someone to demonstrate that I have respect for them.

Also, and this is the truth, in some situations, respect is not a two way street. In some situations, you will have to respect people that do not necessarily demonstrate that they respect you in turn (at least not on your terms). What: are you going to tell your boss, "You have to earn my respect?" Would you tell your teacher/professor, "You have to earn my respect?" Would you say that to your parents?

Sometimes, because of your position and because, yes, hierarchies do exist, you will have to show immediate deference to people just by virtue of their position relative to yours. It is a good lesson to learn while you are young and adaptable.

ETA: Most of my comments are broad and not necessarily sorority pledge period specific.

Last edited by Little32; 02-10-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Banned

I agree, Little32.

LOL @ KSUViolet
Old 02-10-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
This is what I don't see. I hear this buzz phrase that "respect is earned" and that it is a two way street (i. e., you have to respect me before I respect you). People throw out these sentiments rather easily, often without defining with any deal of clarity wherein the disrespectful action lies.

I don't have to be "nice" to be respectful. I don't have to coddle someone to demonstrate that I have respect for them.

Also, and this is the truth, in some situations, respect is not a two way street. In some situations, you will have to respect people that do not necessarily demonstrate that they respect you in turn (at least not on your terms). What: are you going to tell your boss, "You have to earn my respect?" Would you tell your teacher/professor, "You have to earn my respect?" Would you say that to your parents?

Sometimes, because of your position and because, yes, hierarchies do exist, you will have to show immediate deference to people just by virtue of their position relative to yours. It is a good lesson to learn while you are young and adaptable.

ETA: Most of my comments are broad and not necessarily sorority pledge period specific.
Totally everything I was going to say.

Jenn - there may have been reasons (like other NMs) that what was said was said. Maybe technically you are to be treated the same as sisters, but the fact is, if NMs are spouting out too many opinions on things they don't really know about at meetings, blowing off NM education or not taking it seriously, or feeling their oats a bit too much at mixers...it's not going to go over well. It's just not, no matter how much you try to legislate it away.

If it seems to come out of the blue, it is likely that something specific happened. I agree with whoever said to ask your big/sponsor/whatever-she's-called what's going on.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Banned

In other words, "stand down, NM (neo) and just observe."
Old 02-10-2010, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Jenn - there may have been reasons (like other NMs) that what was said was said. Maybe technically you are to be treated the same as sisters, but the fact is, if NMs are spouting out too many opinions on things they don't really know about at meetings, blowing off NM education or not taking it seriously, or feeling their oats a bit too much at mixers...it's not going to go over well. It's just not, no matter how much you try to legislate it away.

If it seems to come out of the blue, it is likely that something specific happened. I agree with whoever said to ask your big/sponsor/whatever-she's-called what's going on.
That's what I was going to say! Rarely do people do a totally 180 like this without a reason. There was probably a new member or two who were getting a little sassy.

We had this situation when some brand-new women were refusing to do some of the necessary portions of the new member education because they were already a sister. (And by necessary portions, I mean like learning our Founding Date and our Ideals and Objectives). The President and Membership Educator had to sit the whole group down and give a similar speech. Everyone was still nice to them, but they needed to learn where they were on a totem pole. It didn't make them a lesser sister or person.

Realizing that you are "new" and acting appropriately is an important skill to acquire, and not just in a chapter. It applies in any place: a school, a job, or even a family when you get married.

In addition, please remember how you felt 3 or 4 years from now when the new women come in. Don't act like you've earned superior treatment because you've been a member longer. Remember how you feel now.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

msujenn, is this a npc, nphc or multi-cultural sorority?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Ignore him.

I can guarantee you he just got initiated like 5 minutes ago.
Yeah he revealed in another thread that he's only 18. Bless his young heart.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookAtMeImADelt View Post
But its true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Yeah he revealed in another thread that he's only 18. Bless his young heart.
HA. I figured.

He his posts are all the "I'm freshly initiated and I know EVERYTHING there is to know about being Greek" type.

Yes, bless his heart. Young whippersnapper.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
msujenn, is this a npc, nphc or multi-cultural sorority?
Good question. In many non-NPC sororities, you are NOT a sister (or even called a "new member") until after you complete the membership process.

I agree with other posters--sounds like this class was acting out in some way, and the officers probably had enough.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Banned

One for sure way not to build unity and sisterhood is to air your grievances about your new chapter on a public message board, especially when it is painfully obvious what school you go to and what your name is.

You really ought to have this entire thread deleted. If you think they are doing something wrong, take it up with your sorority. Or discuss it with your family since you mentioned being Greek is a huge deal in your family to the point that you had a rush coach.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
HA. I figured.

He his posts are all the "I'm freshly initiated and I know EVERYTHING there is to know about being Greek" type.

Yes, bless his heart. Young whippersnapper.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
I don't know what chapter you're in, but in my opinion, that shouldn't matter. Your chapter might be different from Alpha Gam (which is all I know), but there are basic standards.
They should be treating you as a sister! I would start by talking to your New Member Coordinator (or whatever that position is called), and see if this is a misundertanding, albeit a really weird one. If she gives you the same answer, I would talk to either the chapter advisor or panhellenic/greek office (this depends on your campus and if you have a greek life office). If this is actually how they are going to treat you, that's a serious issue.
However, I would just start with talking to the aforementioned people, and see what's what. I hope that this works out for you! Good luck
Agreed.