GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,710
0 members and 1,710 guests
No Members online

Old 02-26-2008, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone ever heard of Gamma Omicron? I read a brief history of cheerleading once that mentioned a "cheerleading fraternity" in maybe the 1920s or 30s by that name.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovypq View Post
Has anyone ever heard of Gamma Omicron? I read a brief history of cheerleading once that mentioned a "cheerleading fraternity" in maybe the 1920s or 30s by that name.
Sorry, that just amuses me...a cheerleading group "Gamma Omicron"

GO, GO, GO Gamma Omicron!

::::louder:::::

GO, GO, GO Gamma Omicron!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Alpha Delta Theta Chapter Roll

Alpha Delta Theta merged into Phi Mu in 1939. That was the first merger between two members of the NPC.

1918 Alpha, Transylvania
1922 Beta, Kentucky
1923 Gamma, Cincinnati
1923 Delta, Illinois
1923 Epsilon, Butler (1934)
1923 Zeta, Nebraska (1933)
1924 Eta, Ohio State
1924 Theta, Washington
1924 Iota, California, Berkeley (1934)
1925 Kappa, Ohio Wesleyan (1934)
1926 Lambda, George Washington
1926 Mu, UCLA
1927 Nu, Nebraska Wesleyan
1927 Xi, Adelphi
1928 Omicron, Brenau
1929 Pi, Samford (formerly Howard College)
1929 Rho, Ohio
1930 Sigma, Tulsa
1931 Tau, Minnesota
1931 Upsilon, Missouri (1933)
1931 Phi, USC (Southern Calif)
1932 Chi, Nevada
1932 Psi, Queens – Chicora
1932 Omega, Bethany
1934 Alpha Alpha, Charleston

In the 1939 merger, four entirely “new” Phi Mu chapters resulted. The chapters and their Phi Mu chapter names++ are:

Delta Theta, Transylvania
Alpha Kappa, College of Charleston
Beta Nu, Bethany
Zeta Kappa, Nebraska Wesleyan
Epsilon Gamma, U. of Tulsa

Other chapters merged with existing Phi Mu chapters on their campuses:

Brenau
Adelphi
UCLA
USC (Calif.)
George Washington
Queens College
Cincinnati
Samford (formerly Howard College)

++ The chapter names may not appear to be "in sequence." As I understand it, that's because, at least at that time (1939), Phi Mu was naming new chapters according to province or district. So Transylvania was in the Delta district, Tulsa in the Epsilon district, and so on.

Main sources of information: Baird's manual 18th edition and "The History of Phi Mu: The First 130 Years" (1982)
I may be incorrect, but it was my understanding that Phi Mu gave the Delta Theta chapter designation to the "new" Transylvania Phi Mu chapter in honor of the chapter having been the Alpha chapter of Alpha Delta Theta.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
I may be incorrect, but it was my understanding that Phi Mu gave the Delta Theta chapter designation to the "new" Transylvania Phi Mu chapter in honor of the chapter having been the Alpha chapter of Alpha Delta Theta.
Hmm, I guess that might be the case; however, the Phi Mu history book I mentioned says that it's an "interesting coincidence" that the "new" Transy chapter got those two letters.

Phi Mu's Delta Zeta chapter was installed in 1931 (Cincinnati), and before that Delta Epsilon (Purdue) in 1929.

Then after the merger Delta Iota in 1942 (Baldwin - Wallace).

So whether it was an intentional, deliberate honor or just a happy coincidence, Delta Theta fit right into the Delta sequence of Phi Mu chapters.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Sorry, that just amuses me...a cheerleading group "Gamma Omicron"

GO, GO, GO Gamma Omicron!

::::louder:::::

GO, GO, GO Gamma Omicron!!!

That's why they went with Gamma Omicron, apparently... because it "spelled" GO! I wish I could find out more about it, if it was just at one school or became "national."
Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Hmm, I guess that might be the case; however, the Phi Mu history book I mentioned says that it's an "interesting coincidence" that the "new" Transy chapter got those two letters.

Phi Mu's Delta Zeta chapter was installed in 1931 (Cincinnati), and before that Delta Epsilon (Purdue) in 1929.

Then after the merger Delta Iota in 1942 (Baldwin - Wallace).

So whether it was an intentional, deliberate honor or just a happy coincidence, Delta Theta fit right into the Delta sequence of Phi Mu chapters.
For what it is worth, I got my information from Delta Theta chapter members. (Transy is in Lexington, Kentucky and not far from The University of Kentucky campus.) In any case, I was also told that the Delta Theta chapter - as the founding (Alpha) chapter of Alpha Delta Theta - was the first Alpha Delta Theta chapter to be initiated into Phi Mu. As such, my guess is that Phi Mu realized that the Delta Theta designation would be coming up (which would be a happy coincidence) and kind of/sort of deliberately made sure that the Transy chapter received the Delta Theta designated. It seems like a nice gesture (honor) that one would expect from the ladies of Phi Mu.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to deezeelove
okay, so i talked to the president of my chapter of delta zeta, and she said we only had one merger/absorbed one sorority. she said at president's academy that's what they tell everyone.
so either our president's academy is wrong, or this is wrong?
i have no clue, but i'd like to believe that this is right : ]
Old 05-25-2008, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezeelove View Post
okay, so i talked to the president of my chapter of delta zeta, and she said we only had one merger/absorbed one sorority. she said at president's academy that's what they tell everyone.
so either our president's academy is wrong, or this is wrong?
i have no clue, but i'd like to believe that this is right : ]
Maybe it's a matter of terminology, or perhaps a miscommunication at that academy? At any rate, whatever you call it -- merger, absorption, or something else -- four former NPC sororities have become part of Delta Zeta over the years:

Beta Phi Alpha in 1941
Phi Omega Pi in 1946 ( essentially this involved accepting Phi Omega Pi alumnae into DZ; the few collegiate chapters of Phi Omega Pi for the most part separately were accepted into other NPC sororities, or else disbanded)
Delta Sigma Epsilon in 1956
Theta Upsilon in 1962

The official history of Delta Zeta covering 1902 - 1982 gives basic information about all four of these sororities, starting on page 144.

Every single edition of Baird's Manual after the end of World War II kept up with info on these additions to DZ, too.

By the way, in 1941 the Beta Phi Alpha chapter at Miami (OH) -- where DZ's Alpha chapter is located -- did NOT participate in the merger. It was treated separately; it was honorably released from Beta Phi Alpha and almost immediately became a chapter of Alpha Chi Omega (all the members of the chapter met Alpha Chi's national membership standards / requirements).

Last edited by exlurker; 05-25-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, necro, but keeping in one place.
Alpha Delta Theta's merger with Phi Mu was on August 30,1939. See https://phimublog.com/2015/06/15/whe...-theta-merger/