GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,471
2 members and 1,469 guests
LaneSig, Phrozen Sands

Old 07-17-2011, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Flip side: Over my dead body my daughter would go to...

I had to laugh on the If you could send your daughter anywhere thread and southbymidwest, an Ohio State grad, said she would send her daughter to Michigan. Well, I didn't really laugh. I was shocked and hope she doesn't get reported to the OSU authorities.

So how about the flip side? Which schools fall into the (tongue in cheek) "over my dead body would my daughter ever attend that school"? Are there any schools that you seriously would not want your daughter to attend?

I would not want my daughter to go to Michigan. Not even if she got a full ride scholarship and we had to sell our house to send her somewhere else. I dislike the school that much. Any other Big Ten schools is fine, but not that school in Ann Arbor.

And we're fairly conservative in our views so anything super liberal would be on our no list as well.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-17-2011, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

An Ivy.

Ok, not really. Obviously I wouldn't forbid that But I do think that Ivies are pretty overrated, and the degree of competition among the students is ridiculous and unnecessary at many of them. Also, many Ivy-goers I've talked to seem really unhappy in general. Yes, of course they're getting a great education. But I think the "warm fuzzy" factor and loving your alma mater is so important, and I think that's more prevalent at non-Ivies that are still great schools.

But if my future kids are brilliant and will survive in a pressure cooker, I suppose they could go. As long as they didn't choose their school based on its name alone!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahXO View Post
An Ivy.

Ok, not really. Obviously I wouldn't forbid that But I do think that Ivies are pretty overrated, and the degree of competition among the students is ridiculous and unnecessary at many of them. Also, many Ivy-goers I've talked to seem really unhappy in general. Yes, of course they're getting a great education. But I think the "warm fuzzy" factor and loving your alma mater is so important, and I think that's more prevalent at non-Ivies that are still great schools.

But if my future kids are brilliant and will survive in a pressure cooker, I suppose they could go. As long as they didn't choose their school based on its name alone!
You're a brave woman to call out the Ivies. But I agree. And are the students getting a great education or great connections? I think the Ivies have become more and more about the connections. There are so many schools out there with excellent Honors Colleges that can offer students just as much educationally, if not more. No, they won't get the same professional connections an Ivy will have. But I agree that in some ways the Ivies are overrated.

With the huge bubble in higher education, it is going to be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next couple of decades. More and more families are saying no way to taking on massive amounts of debt just for the perceived prestige of a school.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Banned

This could be an...interesting...thread.

"Over my dead body" will my son or daughter attend a for-profit school for a bachelor's degree.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post

"Over my dead body" will my son or daughter attend a for-profit school for a bachelor's degree.
Just trying to shake things up until recruitment starts in a few weeks and we can start enjoying recruitment stories again!

Last edited by TriDeltaSallie; 07-17-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
Just trying to shake things up until recruitment starts in a few weeks and we can start enjoying recruitment stories again!
You all can enjoy recruitment stories. I never do.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Oregon State or UW.

Both are great schools, I just have to say it to preserve my alum status. However, they will get crap during football season.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 07-17-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post

This is my only "thing." Go anywhere else you want to go except one of those.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

I know that some are waiting for me to say Bama or Ole Miss. However, I have to agree with KSUViolet and Dr. Phil about the for-profit schools.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
For profits are OUT. Out out out.

Also: Bob Jones University, Oral Roberts...anything ending in "Bible College".

To be clear, I'm not anti-religiously affiliated university (I'm an observant Catholic who went to a Methodist college, and then to a university founded by papal bull!), but I'm against a university choice that may negatively impact a prospective employer's view of them.

Since my husband and I are child-free, I'm going to go ahead and say this is for my future niece/nephew (s). But my brother is a smart guy and won't let that happen.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Ohio State. Obviously.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

A little piece of me died when my nephew went to Iowa State. But that's still preferable to Ohio State. HA!
Old 07-17-2011, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

My hypothetical future children can go wherever they want to go, I suppose, but I will not financially support them attending a for-profit university or any school that is not accredited (such as Bob Jones). I would have serious reservations about paying for most religiously-affiliated schools. Hopefully, my children won't want to go to any of these places anyway, since they will have been raised in my house.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
Also: Bob Jones University, Oral Roberts...anything ending in "Bible College".
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
...or any school that is not accredited (such as Bob Jones).
Add this to my list of negatives.

Anything named "(insert ANY religion, denomination, or religious leader) College/University" is a BIG NO.

Last edited by DrPhil; 07-17-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Other than a Bob Jones/Liberty/BYU "bible college," or a for-profit/college.com set-up, I can't get too wrapped up. I wouldn't want my kid to go to a large state school--50,000 undergrads?! Other than that, I don't have a ton of issues with other schools. Okay, maybe Fordham because all the women I know who went there for college are bitches.

I'm sure my parents didn't want to send me to a college 1,600 miles away and cost $35,000/year (that was 12 years ago, I know it's much more now), but they knew it was for my own good. Hopefully I'll have that same perspective.