GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,856
1 members and 1,855 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 08-08-2001, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking rushing/pledging service, departmental, and professional GLO's

I was just wondering how many people out there have rushed or pledged OTHER greek organizations? Like, honorary, professional, departmental, or service Greek letter organizations? For instance I am a member of Sigma Alpha Iota, a professional music fraternity for women(yes it's called a fraternity, not a sorority). There is also Tau Beta Sigma, a service organization for band members. And I know there are organizations in other departments and areas.

I was just wondering how many people out there are members of these types of organizations? To get some conversation going:

1)which organization are you a member of?
2)did you have to go through rush and a pledging period?
3)what are the colors/symbols/flowers/etc of your organization?
4)what is the purpose of your organization?
5)how many members in your chapter?
6)what do you do?

I will answer my questions:
1)Sigma Alpha Iota
2)yes, I had to go to a 2-day rush. Informal rush for one day, and then formal rush with the alumni. I had a pledging period of about 6-8 weeks, I think.
3)crimson and white are our colors; the red rose is our flower; and the pearl is our stone.
4)basically, to promote music not only in the school, but the community.
5)only about 10.
6)we have weekly meetings, ceremonies, rituals, etc just like the traditional sororities. We also have philantropies and fundraisers for our chapter.

Love and roses,
SAIsister @>---

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-09-2001, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

As well as being in Phi Mu I am also a member of Tau Beta Sigma. For TBS I had a a 3 day rush (formal, philanthropy, and skit/informal). My "candidate period" (can't say pledge--it might be hazing!) was 11 weeks and our chapter has 55-60 members. We not only support projects in the School of Music but we support campus wide events and do community service. We do socials as well with the other music organizations (SAI, PMA, KKPsi) as well as other organizations on campus.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl

1) I am in:

Delta Zeta - Social Sorority (ie: "traditional" sorority)

Sigma Alpha Iota - Women's Music Fraternity

2) Yes I went through rush for both though it was more casual for SAI than for DZ.

3)DZ - rose and green, pink Killarney Rose,diamond, lamp, turtle

SAI - red and white, red rose, pearl, pan pipes

4)DZ - friendship, knowledge, promotion of moral and social culture of members, unity in action

SAI - basically to promote music for ourselves, our school, community and the world

5)DZ has around 50 and SAI has about 30

6) DZ - meetings, philanthropy, mixers, date parties, sisterhood events, workshops, hang out, support other groups at their events, family dinners, greek week, Frontier Fiesta, Homecoming, Gong Show, etc.........

SAI - meetings, fundraisers, musicales, recital receptions, help out with festivals, hang out, go to each other's concerts (especially to get our recital credits for school!)

And I wonder why I don't have time to practice every day!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am way overprogrammed!

this is a cool thread

marti