GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,492
1 members and 2,491 guests
LaneSig

Old 12-15-2013, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Reaffiliation

So I have kind of a complicated situation, but long story short I was having a rough time last year and I was initiated into a sorority. Because of some family and money issues I had to transfer to another school where there wasn't an existing chapter of my sorority, and due to money etc. I disaffiliated. I absolutely adore my sisterhood and family that I had and things at home have been figured out enough for me to be able to return to my original school, which hadn't seemed to be a possibility originally. I can't imagine being there without my family that I found in my sorority, and so I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone who was able to reaffiliate with their original sorority under any certain circumstances? I would love nothing more than to be able to be a part of my sisterhood again, but I'm worried that it won't be possible
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-15-2013, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

If you transfered to a school that didn't have a chapter of your sorority, you were automatically considered an alum by your group.

What do you mean you disaffiliated? There was no reason to do anything other than start at the new school
Old 12-15-2013, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

You need to talk with your sorority, but yes, people re-affiliate all the time. Because you weren't perfectly clear in your explanation, I can't say that you will be able to (disaffiliating sounds like you terminated your membership, a whole different animal from transferring schools), but in any case, talk to the chapter president and/or someone at your sorority headquarters for a clarification of your status and rights to re-affiliate or not. If you left in bad financial standing, that would definitely have to be resolved first. You wouldn't just get to wipe that slate clean.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

yes by disaffiliate I mean I terminated my membership which I know sounds incredibly extreme which I have realized now but I was going through a lot and didn't fully understand everything and i wish I wouldn't have completely left the sisterhood like that. I was in good standing and there were no problems when I left, and the girls in my chapter are trying to do everything they can, but apparently it isn't something that is usually done, so I just wanted to reach out to see if there was anyone who had been able to do this before so that I could know if it was even a slight possibility!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Contact your HQ. That's your most reliable source.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greek1994 View Post
yes by disaffiliate I mean I terminated my membership which I know sounds incredibly extreme which I have realized now but I was going through a lot and didn't fully understand everything and i wish I wouldn't have completely left the sisterhood like that.
Seriously? No one tried to talk you out of quitting when it was completely unneccessary? I do believe you, I am just really puzzled that no one helped you understand what transferring to another school meant for your membership. Very sad.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm hoping the sorority will allow for a do-over due to dumbassitude. They certainly don't have to, but given the details of the situation at least as we've got it, I would think they COULD reconsider.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Contact your nationals and look for forms on the national website
Old 12-16-2013, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I do not know what sorority you are in, and I do not want to know. I can only speak about my own NPC sorority, and what is governed by the Constitution and Bylaws. Ours are specific about the process for applying for reinstatement if a member has terminated her membership IN GOOD STANDING. There are no guarantees. There is a process to follow.

As others have told you, contact your sorority's headquarters. Be prepared that the answer may be "no" and be grateful if it is "yes". Every NPC sorority will have its own policy on this, and for your sake I am hoping that you will be able to be reinstated. You're not reaffiliating, because you terminated your membership. That's a crucial difference.

I wish you the best of luck!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-16-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Seriously? No one tried to talk you out of quitting when it was completely unneccessary? I do believe you, I am just really puzzled that no one helped you understand what transferring to another school meant for your membership. Very sad.
There may have been a time lag between the chapter communicating "hey this member is transferring" and hq saying "hey you need to get money from this member right damn now."