GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 809
1 members and 808 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 09-15-2008, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Formal Recruitment Questions

Ok, so I have questions.

I’ve never participated in formal recruitment, and my campus only does COB. From what I can tell, the Greek Advisor is slowly trying to make a change to formal recruitment for at least one semester during the school year. Whether this will work or not, no one really knows. The sisters from all three chapters seem to be against the idea, but I don’t know if all of the positives/negatives have been mapped out for them. I know as well as they do that to create such a system from scratch (or close to it) can be a large undertaking. But with a large interest in sorority recruitment among freshmen this semester (more than a lot of sisters have ever seen), this might start to become a more viable option over the next couple of years.

I’ve learned a lot about the process from this site, and from reading Panhellenic rules and guidelines from other schools. But if for some reason my campus does try to begin to use formal again, I want my chapter, that I now advise, to be fully aware of what exactly this kind of recruitment entails. And what better way to do that than to ask people directly!

And while this probably won’t happen very soon, the younger girls who are active now might have to start to learn about formal if Panhellenic eases back into it. Any kind of information that you all can give me would be great.

Some specific questions:

1.) For those of you that attend(ed) schools that have formal recruitment after the start of the school year, how do rounds conflict with class schedules? I know that during COB this semester, many PNMs could not attend one or two of our events because they had night classes. Are some rounds on the weekend? Are there two nights of some rounds so that everyone is able to attend? Please explain.

2.) How does this work in Panhellenic? Are there additional positions or a committee to handle the recruitment process?

3.) How do students sign up? Obviously for freshmen who can participate in recruitment before the start of school, there must be something that is sent home to them. But when formal takes place in the spring, how does this work? Is there a general sign-up somewhere, like at a specific place in the student union (I know that we do this on my campus for certain activities)? Is it online? Do members of each sorority have individual sign-up sheets that they submit to Panhellenic?

4.) What are your rounds like? Are some of them just basic discussions among actives and PNMs? I know that Preference Parties are ceremonies that aren’t ritual, but they still seem like they are kind of “secret”. But… is there anything that anyone can tell me about these parties? Any activities or things that are discussed?

5.) How are Rho Chis (or whatever your school happens to call them) chosen? Is it an application process? Who decides who they are?

6.) Rho Chis and attending rounds… how does this whole method work? This is going to be a “simple”, hypothetical story, and I’m guessing on all of this, so bear with me, and please tell me if I have this whole thing screwed up! haha. Ok…
I am a PNM, I have one Rho Chi all throughout recruitment. During the first round, my Rho Chi comes to the first recruitment party with me and all of the other girls in my “PNM group”. The next round, I get invited back to all three chapters, but my friend Hopeful Holly, who is in my PNM grouping from the first day, only gets invited back to two. She has the same Rho Chi as myself, and I have to go to one more party than her. My Rho Chi brings the same group of girls to all of the parties, and we all have the same schedule, in terms of what times we are to be at each chapter. But since Hopeful Holly wasn’t invited back to the second party that my PNM group has scheduled that day, she will attend the first party with us, have a break (for as long as that second party lasts), and will then attend the last party with myself, our Rho Chi, and the rest of the PNM group.

This is all for now, but I'm sure I'll have more! Thanks in advance!

@~/~~~~
Old 09-15-2008, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and obviously these things can vary from school to school. I want to know about everyone's individual experiences. Thanks again!

@~/~~~~
Old 09-15-2008, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
6) scheduling ... for formal recruitment there's usually a cut down of the maximum number of parties each PNM can attend which (usually) corresponds with the number of parties each chapter holds ... (for exception see Auburn's recruitment schedule where the chapters hold 1 or 2 additional parties per round than the maximum that the PNM can attend).

with only 3 or 4 chapters this would probably been modified .. ie for 3 chapters with 3 rounds

Here's an example:

first round is "open house" - each chapter holds three parties all at the same time, pnms are scheduled for 3 parties and switch .. so that 1/3 goes to chapter A, then to chapter B, and then to chapter C. at each party the chapters see a different 1/3 of the PNMs.

second round is first invitation round - but each PNM could be invited (or not) to all three. Each chapter would again hold 3 parties (again at the same times) and each PNM would have her individualized schedule, based on who had invited her. The councilors do not attend any of the recruitment parties, they are stationed outside of the parties to help any one who is lost or just to keep company with anyone who is not at a party. again, if the PNM is invited to all three then her schedule might be chapter B, chapter A, chapter C... if only two then she might have a break at any of the 3 party times .. the sheduling algothryms ususally try to balance the pnms attending a chapter's parties so you don't have 30 at one party and 5 at the next.

3rd round would be preference and the PNMs would only be able to attend 2 parties and each chapter would only have 2 parties. If the PNM was invited to all 3 she would have to choose which parties to attend .. or if using priority would have rated 1-1-2 the chapters as to which she would like to attend after the first invitation round and again she might only have 1 or 2 or no invitations and her schedule would be adjusted accordingly.

Hope this helps .. if not feel free to PM me and we can talk about it
Old 09-15-2008, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
preference ceremonies don't reveal anything "secret" as there will be PNMs attend the ceremony that will possibly be placed with another chapter or not get a bid at all.

preference ceremonies usually try to express the ritual atmosphere of ritual with actually exposing anything. poems are read, testimonials are given, the PNMs are shown what a ceremony will be like.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

For Sign-up #3 - For both the school that I advise (Fall Formal Recruitment) at and the school I volunteer at (Spring Formal Recruitment), both have online registration or the PNM can register at the Greek Life office in person or at a table set up and managed by Rho Chis. During registration, they fill out a form (usually activities they are currently involved with at college or in HS, interests, and legacy info) and pay to sign up (from what I have heard this registration fee varies greatly!)
Old 09-15-2008, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

an example...

As is usually the case, simply saying you are moving to formal recruitment is not as easy to define as one would hope. I can offer you a snapshot of a chapter I advise that sounds pretty similar to your school.

We have 3 NPC sororities, and formal fall recruitment. Panhellenic holds info sessions and PR tables throughout the summer, at orientation, and around campus until recruitment begins (about 4 weeks after classes start). Recruitment actually lasts about a week and a half. To balance class schedules, only one sorority has an event on a day. The first two rounds are "split parties," meaning the chapter has a 30 minute party during lunch, and then a thirty minute party in the evening. So, ABC has their first round split party on Tuesday, then DEF has their's on Wed, and XYZ on Thurs. Round two splits begin on Monday the following week with ABC on Mon, DEF on Tues, and XYX on Wed. Each sorority has a one hour party that Friday evening. Preference is an hour on Sunday, and Bid Day is on Monday.

To be eligible to be invited to Preference events (and thus, to receive a bid), a PNM must attend at least 1 party of each group- this could be a minimum of one of the 30 minute parties. However, generally most PNMs attend more. Preference is the only round that sororities make cuts, and thus the only round that a woman may not be invited to the party. (Additionally, the PNMs don't have to attend all Preference events to which they are invited, although we've never had an invited woman not come, since all the parties are back to back.)

We don't have Rho Chis or Recruitment groups. Recruitment is too small to need it- about 30 women began formal recruitment last year. The Panhellenic President and Director of Recruitment disaffiliate and act as recruitment counselors for all PNMs.

Now- do I like the process? Pieces of it, yes, pieces of it, no. I think a week and a half is too long, but the collegians seem to like it. Also, lots of Panhellenic drama gets raised because of waiting so long into the semester. But, the campus has found a system that works- pretty well- for them, so I roll with it! Oh, and no one has been at total for years (don't get me started!) so all three chapters CR year-round, as well.

Sorry this was so long!!!!!!

Last edited by OneHeartOneWay; 09-15-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post

6.) Rho Chis and attending rounds… how does this whole method work? This is going to be a “simple”, hypothetical story, and I’m guessing on all of this, so bear with me, and please tell me if I have this whole thing screwed up! haha. Ok…
I am a PNM, I have one Rho Chi all throughout recruitment. During the first round, my Rho Chi comes to the first recruitment party with me and all of the other girls in my “PNM group”. The next round, I get invited back to all three chapters, but my friend Hopeful Holly, who is in my PNM grouping from the first day, only gets invited back to two. She has the same Rho Chi as myself, and I have to go to one more party than her. My Rho Chi brings the same group of girls to all of the parties, and we all have the same schedule, in terms of what times we are to be at each chapter. But since Hopeful Holly wasn’t invited back to the second party that my PNM group has scheduled that day, she will attend the first party with us, have a break (for as long as that second party lasts), and will then attend the last party with myself, our Rho Chi, and the rest of the PNM group.
This is similar to how it worked at my campus. The PNM would travel with her group, if she didn't get invited to a party she would go to the assigned break room and chill for a while. The Rho Chi (Rho Gamma, Pi Chi, whatever)never acutally attended the party, just dropped off the girls at the door.

As for picking the Pi Chis, Panhellenic would create an application and then select a certain number of girls from each sorority to be Pi Chis. They would disaffiliate during the summer.

If I were you, I would contact the local Alumnae Panhellenic. There are bound to be some ladies from other schools that used the formal method and they might be able to help out!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Ok, so I have questions.

I’ve never participated in formal recruitment, and my campus only does COB. From what I can tell, the Greek Advisor is slowly trying to make a change to formal recruitment for at least one semester during the school year. Whether this will work or not, no one really knows. The sisters from all three chapters seem to be against the idea, but I don’t know if all of the positives/negatives have been mapped out for them. I know as well as they do that to create such a system from scratch (or close to it) can be a large undertaking. But with a large interest in sorority recruitment among freshmen this semester (more than a lot of sisters have ever seen), this might start to become a more viable option over the next couple of years.

I’ve learned a lot about the process from this site, and from reading Panhellenic rules and guidelines from other schools. But if for some reason my campus does try to begin to use formal again, I want my chapter, that I now advise, to be fully aware of what exactly this kind of recruitment entails. And what better way to do that than to ask people directly!

And while this probably won’t happen very soon, the younger girls who are active now might have to start to learn about formal if Panhellenic eases back into it. Any kind of information that you all can give me would be great.

Some specific questions:

1.) For those of you that attend(ed) schools that have formal recruitment after the start of the school year, how do rounds conflict with class schedules? I know that during COB this semester, many PNMs could not attend one or two of our events because they had night classes. Are some rounds on the weekend? Are there two nights of some rounds so that everyone is able to attend? Please explain.

2.) How does this work in Panhellenic? Are there additional positions or a committee to handle the recruitment process?

3.) How do students sign up? Obviously for freshmen who can participate in recruitment before the start of school, there must be something that is sent home to them. But when formal takes place in the spring, how does this work? Is there a general sign-up somewhere, like at a specific place in the student union (I know that we do this on my campus for certain activities)? Is it online? Do members of each sorority have individual sign-up sheets that they submit to Panhellenic?

4.) What are your rounds like? Are some of them just basic discussions among actives and PNMs? I know that Preference Parties are ceremonies that aren’t ritual, but they still seem like they are kind of “secret”. But… is there anything that anyone can tell me about these parties? Any activities or things that are discussed?

5.) How are Rho Chis (or whatever your school happens to call them) chosen? Is it an application process? Who decides who they are?

This is all for now, but I'm sure I'll have more! Thanks in advance!
1)on the campus of the chapter i advise, formal recruitment is held several weeks after the start of the fall semester. there are many night classes so recruitment parties are held after 9 pm, beginning on wednesday night with prefs. held on saturday evening and bid day on sunday afternoon. all pnms are required to be invited back to the 2nd round of parties, so voting is not necessary on the first night, however, it makes thursday night very late. parties on friday night can begin around 6, because there are no night classes on friday. there are 3 chapters on this campus.

my daughters college also holds recruitment a couple of weeks in to the fall semester. they have 5 chapters. recruitment starts for them on friday night-pnms attend three parties or two parties with one break and attend the parties at the other chapters on saturday. prefs(they can attend 2) are held on monday night and bid day(night) is around 7 pm tuesday. i would prefer this schedule, because that puts voting on the most girls on the weekend(the saturday and sunday parties are held in the afternoon).

2)there is usually a panhellenic vp recruitment and sometimes she has an assistant. all the panhellenic officers assist during recruitment and well as the recruitment counselors.

3) most college panhellenics have online registration and a predetermined deadline. they advertise in the school paper, on the panhellenic website and with flyers around campus. pnms can pay with credit cards or paypal.

4) the rounds can really be anything the campus wants: on some campuses there are just casual get togethers where the pnms and the sisters just chat. on other campuses it can be quite involved, with themed decorations(theme decided by chapter), coordinating outfits for the sisters, door songs or chants(sung or chanted as the pnms enter thru the door), timed videos that recap the chapters activites for the previous year, skits, crafts for the philanthrophy, etc. it is up to the panhellenic officers to decide and then the chapters work within the guidelines set by panhellenic. for instance, the first nights parties might be ice waters-where only water may be served to the pnms. panhellenic may designate that a 7 minute video recapping the years activities can be shown. your chapter may decide to have a "munchkin theme" and decorations might be murals hung on the wall where the chapters best artists painted giant flowers and the entire chapter is dressed like munchkins. the next night might be philanthrophy and your phil. might be "the old pirates rest home" so you put up murals that look like pirate ships and you all dress up like pirates and tell the pnms about the fund raising you do to raise money for the old pirates home. the third night might be sisterhood and you all chose another theme and perform a 10 minute skit based on your theme, which highlights the sisterhood in your chapter. the final night is preference-you all write a preference ceremony(or get one from your headquarters) that might give a little peek into your ritual without giving away any secrets, you usually all dress similarly-all sisters wearing black dressy dresses, or white, or red and you might serve sparkling cider or gingerale and cheesecake. bid day there would be a party where the new members would get a goodie bag with pencils, pens, writing pads, car decal, bid day t-shirt, and there would be festive food in a party atmosphere.

5) most often, recruitment counselors are chosen thru an application process. they are chosen by the campus greek life advisor and perhaps the rec. vp or the entire panhel board. they try to get an equal # of girls from all the chapters. sometimes one girl is chosen as the "head" rec. counselor and she (along with the vp rec. and greek advisor) train the other rec. counselors.

6) typically rec. counselors go with their assigned group of pnms for the first round of parties only. they do not attend the parties with the pnms. after the first round of parties, they meet with their group of pnms before and after that nights parties and are "on call" during the parties and they are available to their pnms for the entire length of recruitment.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 09-15-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

The chapter I advise does recruitment after class begins. 1st day of parties are Friday evening, 2nd day is all day Saturday and pref is all day Sunday. Bid night is Monday afternoon w/ a chapter dinner afterward. With only 3 chapters, this is quite easily attainable. We now have 5 or 6 chapters on campus and it still works fairly well. Occasionally there is a conflict, but the Panhellenic staff will give PNM's a reduced schedule (i.e. attend half parties so she can see ALL houses) for the night.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
1.) For those of you that attend(ed) schools that have formal recruitment after the start of the school year, how do rounds conflict with class schedules? Events are held Thursday-Sunday. Thur/Fri are later in day so there are fewer conflicts. If they happen, they get excused. Virtually no classes on Sat/Sun, so not an issue.

2.) How does this work in Panhellenic? Are there additional positions or a committee to handle the recruitment process? VP Recruitment plans it. Depending on the school, the Panhel Exec will serve as recruitment cmte or the VP will select a cmt. Rho Chis usually help with tasks like advertising and contacting PNMs that have signed up.

3.) How do students sign up? Ours is online, using ICS. It's a bit of an investment, but well worth it if you have more than a 30 or 40 PNMs. Panhellenic Exec and Rho Chis are at summer orientations and set up info tables around campus to promote it. We do not mail things to students.

4.) What are your rounds like? There are themes to each round, like sisterhood (fun ice breaker or board game events), open house (give out general chapter info), philanthropy (talk about service, what the chapter's main service projects are and usually some sort of craft for a chairity) and of course pref.

5.) How are Rho Chis (or whatever your school happens to call them) chosen? Is it an application process? Who decides who they are? girls apply for the positions and we have at least 3 or 4 from each chapter apply. Panhel Exec decides. We call them Sigma Rhos - Sorority Recruiters

6.) Rho Chis and attending rounds… how does this whole method work? This is going to be a “simple”, hypothetical story, and I’m guessing on all of this, so bear with me, and please tell me if I have this whole thing screwed up! haha. Ok… They don't actually attend the rounds with their group, they just get the girls ready for each round and line them up in front of the room doors. They way we do it, the PNMs going to each round are randomly placed in each round, it is not done by Rho Chi group.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you to all that replied!

And I guess I worded it strangely, but when I said that Rho Chis go to the parties with you, I intended that to mean that they bring you to each party, not that they necessarily ATTEND each one and are part of it. Sorry for the confusion!

And another question... I've seen mentioned in this thread, and a few other times on this website, that there are fees for signing up for formal recruitment. What are the fees on your campus like? And what does this money go toward? Is it simply given to Panhellenic as a whole?

@~/~~~~
Old 09-17-2008, 10:21 AM

It goes to Panhellenic to offset the costs of recruitment. Also it helps to weed out people who aren't really serious or who are going through it as a joke or something like that.

Penn State Main's is $25, so I wouldn't go any higher than $5 or $10 at your campus.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

My school held formal recruitment before school started.

Yes. We had a Recruitment VP, as well as a Recruitment Team dedicated to Panhellenic Recruitment. They included a logistics team to run computer stuff, the Recruitment Counselors (who are headed by a lead counselor), marketing and communications staff, and the Greek Adviser.

We did mailings to freshmen, as well as emails. At orientation, the recruitment counselors made a presentation about Greek Life and explained recruitment and how to register.

There is a dedicated web site and online sign up. There is a fee. That fee offsets costs for the computer program, rentals, a recruitment t-shirt for the PNM, etc.

No the sororities don't do individual recruitment sign-ups for PNMs. This is all handled through Panhellenic for formal recruitment. Any PNM with sorority friends should be advised by the sorority members to contact Panhellenic.

On the first day, PNM's attend parties at all the sororities, and attend progressively fewer events each day (for longer periods). The women are greeted with a short song and paired up with a sorority member on each day.

On Day 1, the theme was based on School Spirit. Most conversations revolved around why you should go Greek (not necessarily Go ABC), and examples of that sorority's involvement on campus. Conversation usually diverts to basic getting to know you questions and conversation, but it's typical to have photos and displays related to campus involvement, sisterhood, football games, homecoming, Greek Week, campus traditions, campus organizations, pointing out campus and community leaders in the chapter (including athletes, student government officers, pageant winners), etc.

On Day 2, the theme was based around each organization's philanthropy. This day usually involves a simple craft project that will benefit the philanthropy, showing a video about the philanthropy, and showing scrapbooks, trophies, etc., showing how the sorority is involved in community service and philanthropy activities (Anchor Splash, Watermelon Bust, etc.)

On Day 3, the sororities show a video that is basically a video yearbook type of presentation. It shows their activities and sisterhood-- testimonials from sisters, etc. Some schools do a skit on this day to demonstrate the same and also show some type of slideshow.

At some point on one of the three days, the sorority will conduct house tours.

At Prefs, each sorority does something different. You should discuss prefs with your regional alumnae Recruitment director. She will have lots of recommendations on the best prefs for your chapter.

The Panhellenic Exec Board and Panhellenic Recruitment Board advertise for Recruitment Counselors in the spring before fall recruitment. Prospects fill out an application and are interviewed. They must be in good standing with their sorority and the university to be eligible. I believe we also had to have participated in at least one recruitment as a sister on "the other side" previously.

6.) Rho Chis and attending rounds… how does this whole method work?

It's pretty simple. The Recruitment Counselors meet with their groups each day in the same spot to hand out invites and explain the day's process. This usually takes place in a classroom. Then everyone breaks and later walks to Greek Park for the start of the parties. The Recruitment Counselor has a "home base" on greek park that she will meet her group at every day following the classroom meeting-- usually outside one of the sorority houses. Since our recruitment is in Aug, each sorority rents a tent, chairs and fans for the PNMs. The recruitment counselors usually hang out by the tents at each house and are spread out so there are always counselors at each tent at each sorority. Walkie Talkies help a lot here!

On Day 1, when everyone goes to the same schedule of parties, your Recruitment Counselor escorts your group to each house. After the first day, the PNM's pretty much know "the lay of the land." Therefore, for remaining rounds of recruitment, you meet your counselor in the appointed place just before parties on Greek Park-- at my school, each counselor had a home base in front of a house that her girls could always run back to if they needed her. Otherwise, there were 1-4 counselors outside each house that any PNM could rely on if she had a question, wasn't sure where XYZ house was, etc.

Last edited by adpiucf; 09-17-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

As 33girl said, registration fees offset the cost of conducting formal recruitment such as: printing recruitment booklets and other printed materials; recruitment software; creating/maintaining a Panhellenic website with recruitment info and registration forms; t-shirts for PNMs (often used for Philanthropy rounds); t-shirts, housing and/or feeding disaffiliated members during recruitment (Rho Chi's, Judiciary Board, Panhellenic Exec); etc.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

You may want to contact your NPC Area Advisor if you think the Greek Advisor is going to push for that. Just a few years ago, NPC identified 4 different styles of recruitment, Formal, Partially Structured, Minimally Structured and Informal. For campuses with 4 or less NPCs, they strongly recommend that you NOT do Formal Recruitment because it doesn't end up being worth the time and money for the number of new members that chapters get. The NPC Area Advisor can evaluate what's best for the campus based on average number of PNMs, number of NPC groups, etc.