GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,415
2 members and 1,413 guests
No Members online

Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Sabika Jewelry?

Someone in my neighborhood invited me to a Sabika Jewelry party. I've never heard of it before. Looked at the websites and was kind of surprised at the prices - they were quite expensive for what I would consider costume jewelry. Anyone have any experience with them?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Someone in my neighborhood invited me to a Sabika Jewelry party. I've never heard of it before. Looked at the websites and was kind of surprised at the prices - they were quite expensive for what I would consider costume jewelry. Anyone have any experience with them?
I used to make beaded jewelry and sell it, about 4-7 years ago. Back then, silver was very affordable. These days, it's at its highest prices in decades. That being said, this type of jewelry is still highly overpriced.

I looked at the Sabika catalog and saw the 5-chain necklace (on page 4) that retails for $98. If I bought my supplies wholesale and in bulk (which, when I had a business license, I did), I could have made that same necklace for about $20 (2003-2006). Each length of chain (I'm guessing 16-20 inches each) would have averaged $4 each, and $3-4 for a five strand, jeweled clasp. Up that total to about $35 now (2010), because the cost of metals has increased. THAT would take about five minutes to put together, because it's just attaching chains.

The choker on page 6 is just a bunch of beads connected by pins. You stick a pin through the bead hole, wrap a loop, then wrap another loop on the other size (you may have to cut the pin to size first) to connect. That necklace would take about 15-20 minutes and about $10 in supplies. Yet it retails for $79. Those single drop earrings retailing for $39 takes one loop worth of work on each side (about 5 minutes total), and the supplies (components) would be about $4 total.

In my opinion, you can find a local bead worker (google or visit local craft fairs) and get similar quality stuff at half the price. Beaders usually work on a smaller profit margin than retail, because they have to price their items to sell quickly.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
In my opinion, you can find a local bead worker (google or visit local craft fairs) and get similar quality stuff at half the price. Beaders usually work on a smaller profit margin than retail, because they have to price their items to sell quickly.
These jewelry parties are BS. Some of the stuff I got at them is OK, but some of it tarnished like crazy.

A friend of mine does jewelry, which is just as pretty if not prettier than this stuff - and she would charge maybe $35 for the stuff these guys are charging $80 for. Plus if you want something custom she can make it for you.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I make jewelry in my spare time...and it's not hard to learn. I don't bother selling it unless it's something I spent a lot of time on because I feel bad charging my friends more than cost for something that took me 10 minutes and I'd usually rather just keep it myself. But I tell people all the time to just learn themselves. Most towns have at least one bead store, but Michael's usually has a good selection, and I think Hobby Lobby does, too if you can't find anything better. This is the kind of stuff, generally speaking, you can teach yourself how to make.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 11-02-2010, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm looking for my old pictures of when I used to sell my stuff online. I might have trashed it, but it would give you an idea of things I have made (and that other people can make with minimal expenditure and a little bit of effort)>

Old 11-02-2010, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never seen it in person but just from looking at their website, it just looks like costume jewelry you can get at Macy's or Dillard's only it is WAY overpriced! Seriously, Betsey Johnson makes some similar pieces and her pieces aren't nearly as expensive! Some of it looks cheap too! It reminds me of that Premier jewelry only more trendy. I have a friend who sells the Stella and Dot. I think it is the same idea and just as overpriced.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Glad to hear other people had the same impression. I was like at the prices...
Old 11-02-2010, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I also agree that the prices are goofy and will openly admit once in a while I have purchased jewelry from the catalog provided by my Avon lady. I've known her for years and she is a no pressure sales person and when I had an item break she got me another one. I'm not sure if there is any kind of guarantee or warranty for this line, but it seems like another marketing sales company like Pampered Chef or Scentsy.

I just looked at www.avon.com and they have jewelry that is even on sale, but most of the stuff I have purchased is a trend item and under $20. It can really vary if I like something but since I have known this woman for years and she isn't a member of an Avon cult it has worked out for me in being a sporadic customer. I also get costume/trend items at minor department stores like Fred Meyer, Kohl's, and Target. Some of my best finds have been off the clearance table at Macy's and have lasted for years even though they were based on a trend.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:30 PM

I'd rather spend that kind of money with Lia Sophia, but that is just me.