GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,437
3 members and 1,434 guests
AlizaXzd60, bannetattsa680, NikiMussen

Old 05-10-2005, 09:04 AM

Sorority Girl = Cheerleader Stereotype

It seems to be a prevailing stereotype that women who join sororities are usually current or former cheerleaders. If that is actually the case, I guess I am an exception because I could never even do a cartwheel

So, who on GreekChat was a cheerleader in high school? How about college?

Edited 'cause I can't type today!

Last edited by KillarneyRose; 05-10-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Captain of the dance team in HS.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Banned

For the most part, sorority girls are the girls that werent good enough to get on a cheerleading squad because they werent athletic enough. For the most part Athletes don't join GLOs. There are exceptions at certain schools.... such as Florida State. Coach Bowden is a Pike thus giving the chapter there the honor of having the most varsity athletes of any frat. Most Athletes could care less about joing a GLO because they know they'll have easy women, friends and money without having to be in a GLO. And yes, female athletes are just as bad-almost the same-as male athletes.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Most of the girls on the University's dance team were AZDs, and most of the girls on the cheerleading squad were from our rival sorority. Of course, there were a few girls on each who were in a different sorority or who weren't Greek at all.

All of the boys on the cheerleading squad were fraternity boys.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UlChiOCutie26
Talking Hummmmmmmm......

I was a cheerleader for 6 years prior to joining a sorority.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cashmoney
For the most part, sorority girls are the girls that werent good enough to get on a cheerleading squad because they werent athletic enough. For the most part Athletes don't join GLOs. There are exceptions at certain schools.... such as Florida State. Coach Bowden is a Pike thus giving the chapter there the honor of having the most varsity athletes of any frat. Most Athletes could care less about joing a GLO because they know they'll have easy women, friends and money without having to be in a GLO. And yes, female athletes are just as bad-almost the same-as male athletes.
Do you have any studies or stats to back this statement up? Ohhhh, who am I kidding?

BTW, we had several cheerleaders in my sorority.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, football and wrestling, but my high school was small, so you could do pretty much everything you wanted. I was also a band geek and a speech/drama nerd.

I turned to cheerleading after I learned I suck at basketball and volleyball (which is difficult when you're tall).

ETA: We had the majority of the Varsity Tennis squad in the house when I was an active. Plus a soccer player, softball player, Poms dancer and Varsity cheerleader. Not bad for a chapter of only 90 girls.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670
All of the boys on the cheerleading squad were fraternity boys.

Translation: All the cheerleader boys were in fraternities to hide their homosexuality that they don't know exists within them.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:44 AM

I was cheerleader and a dancer back in the day. We had a bunch of girls in my chapter who were UCF cheerleaders, UCF dancers, Orlando Predators dancers, and Orlando Magic dancers.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by aggieAXO
Do you have any studies or stats to back this statement up? Ohhhh, who am I kidding?

BTW, we had several cheerleaders in my sorority.

Nerd, most athletes know what I said is true. Obviously you're not an athlete or played a lot of sports. Because if you did then you'd know that MOST athletes DO NOT JOIN GLOs! Even less athletes in the NCAA go Greek. Why may you ask? Because playing on a sports team is like being in a fraternity itself, only you don't have to pay money to be in it.....you just have to be good enough. This is why a lot of football players, basketball players and baseball players don't join GLOs.......they've already got their friends. Just because some people had some cheerleaders in their GLO does not mean that there is a prevailing stereotype that women who join sororities are usually current or former cheerleaders. If that were true...most of the girls during rush at UF wouldn't bitch about the heat and humidity and having to do all sorts of stuff while dealing with both.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cashmoney
Because playing on a sports team is like being in a fraternity itself...
I would agree w/ this. Another reason they don't join GLOs is simply b/c they don't have enough time. My secretary's son is on the football team at Elon, and although his dad was in a fraternity at Penn State, and his two sisters were both in sororities, he had the interest to go Greek, but just doesn't have the time.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I just have to say that I was a cheerleader back in high school and I also was on the track team as well as the cross country team. When I got to college I was also on the track team there as well, however I was only on the team for a year. College track and high school track are two different things, in college (at least for me) it was not as much fun. I hated getting up at 5 am to run five miles only to have to do it again that same day after class was over. Plus I did not like my coach hitting on me, it was a little too gross for me!!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by WCUAXID
Plus I did not like my coach hitting on me, it was a little too gross for me!!

Hahahaha......ever seen naughty america DVDs?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005
Yes - all through high school and college, while in a sorority.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Banned

Since I'm gonna dance like Usher, I need a girl that can appreciate my moves.

-Rudey