GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,390
3 members and 1,387 guests
aagelusasd8172

Old 03-08-2018, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Badge Ring

I'm interested in permanently turning my theta badge into a ring. I did a lot of research and found many photos of other GLO's badges soldered on to rings but not the theta badge.

I inquired about it with a jeweler and I was told soldering the badge to the ring would burn the black enamel off, even though most of the other ring-badges I've seen has similar black enamel on the front to Theta's.

Has anyone had this done before? What was the price point and what did you ask for?
Old 03-08-2018, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I know you said permanent, and I know this is not Theta, but have you considered something like this?
Old 03-08-2018, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi!

we've discussed the challenges in making a Theta badge into a ring; it's been quite a while though. Main thing to know is that when you wear it, the points catch on everything. It's pretty uncomfortable. There's a member here who is pretty knowledgeable about what you're asking in terms of the soldering issue, so I'll ping her and see if she can help you out.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

See what they did on the back of this ΚΔ pin? Your post makes me assume adding the back panel was done to protect the enamel. Then the ring was added to the panel.

(I can’t find out how to post a pic—FAQ talks of albums but I cannot find it.)

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Sorority-PIN-...app-cvip-panel

Last edited by APhi2KD; 03-08-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorD View Post
I know you said permanent, and I know this is not Theta, but have you considered something like this?
I don't know if I'm late to this party and everyone has seen these before, but I think this is genius.

@~/~~~~
Old 03-09-2018, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorD View Post
That was my original plan, but I asked around in my alumnae chapter and the one woman who has one says it moves around a lot. The one specifically for the Theta badge (on JLewis Small) is also really pricey. I thought I could get the ring custom made for around the same price.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Hi!

we've discussed the challenges in making a Theta badge into a ring; it's been quite a while though. Main thing to know is that when you wear it, the points catch on everything. It's pretty uncomfortable. There's a member here who is pretty knowledgeable about what you're asking in terms of the soldering issue, so I'll ping her and see if she can help you out.
I was concerned about the points as well. Thank you for the advice and I look forward to hearing what she says! I got a second quote from a different jeweler who said she could do it no problem.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I've had some custom jewelry done. I'd suggest not taking the badge to a regular jewelry chain store but, rather, find a jeweler who makes customized jewelry. They are the ones in the phone book (if you still get one) who say something like "XXXXY Jewelry Repair & Design." They may be more apt to use other methods of bonding (e.g., gluing) it to the ring setting or designing the ring to avoid catches. Depending on how much you want to spend, they may even design the ring from scratch.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

one suggestion

I have a good friend is a Theta so I've seen your badge up close - really beautiful - so I know what everyone means by the points.

Here's a thought:

If you take it to a custom jeweler, they possibly could design a ring setting where the badges "fits inside" the ring. Meaning that it would be securely laid into a gold setting.

I'm probably not describing this well, but imagine how a stone is set and encased into a bezel setting rather than a prong setting or a painting set inside a frame. The custom ring would be the same shape as your badge but with enough of a bezel build-up to cover the pointy tips. The band - which would need some width to balance the size of the badges - would like go under the widest part of the badge.

Good luck and please let us know what you find!