GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,358
3 members and 1,355 guests
KDKells, Phrozen Sands, zathonyjunioro9

Old 05-20-2016, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Like the US, it all depends on the school! UBC has Panhellenic Suites in the dorms, U of A has houses, University of Manitoba doesn't, U of T does, the Halifax chapters don't (to list a few)! They will typically never be on campus, aside from exceptions like UBC
Old 05-20-2016, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Question about Greek life in Canada: are most chapters unhoused?
Adding on to ColdInCanada's response, a lot of chapters who are officially unhoused will often have unofficial 'sorority houses', basically a house that a group of sisters have lived in that's passed down to new sisters as old sisters graduate. We certainly get jealous of the gorgeous houses in the US though!
Old 05-21-2016, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBows View Post
Adding on to ColdInCanada's response, a lot of chapters who are officially unhoused will often have unofficial 'sorority houses', basically a house that a group of sisters have lived in that's passed down to new sisters as old sisters graduate. We certainly get jealous of the gorgeous houses in the US though!
I just went with those that I knew had official houses for Alpha Gam! Most every chapter will have a house where a larger concentration of members live, but I figured that was true in the US, too I find that in Canada there are less students who go away for post secondary, so more students will continue to live at home. While we would have loved to have a house, the benefit of living at home is not paying rent (in a lot of cases). It's the one aspect that I always wonder about!
Old 05-21-2016, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
I just went with those that I knew had official houses for Alpha Gam! Most every chapter will have a house where a larger concentration of members live, but I figured that was true in the US, too I find that in Canada there are less students who go away for post secondary, so more students will continue to live at home. While we would have loved to have a house, the benefit of living at home is not paying rent (in a lot of cases). It's the one aspect that I always wonder about!
I definitely agree, a lot of students live at home. At my school though, it seems like the majority of Greeks are students who've moved away for school. However, I'm an active in the Ottawa Greek communtiy and we do have one of the most unique systems in Canada, with all of our local sororoties, so take my experiences with a grain of salt!
Old 05-21-2016, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBows View Post
I definitely agree, a lot of students live at home. At my school though, it seems like the majority of Greeks are students who've moved away for school. However, I'm an active in the Ottawa Greek communtiy and we do have one of the most unique systems in Canada, with all of our local sororoties, so take my experiences with a grain of salt!
I know a few Greeks from Carleton, the Ottawa Greek system is thriving!! I love seeing everything growing there, it makes me happy to know that interest is building
Old 05-27-2016, 07:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Part XII: Fraternity Friday, Life as a Sorority Alumna, Part XII - http://wp.me/p5B41J-1UC