GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,432
1 members and 1,431 guests
haleyjuniroz689

Old 03-31-2014, 03:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile Omega Psi Chi Sorority: Start a local sorority on your campus

If any one would like to start this local sorority on their campus just let me know!!! http://omegapsichi.wix.com/omegapsichi
Old 03-31-2014, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieadah View Post
If any one would like to start this local sorority on their campus just let me know!!! http://omegapsichi.wix.com/omegapsichi
I decided to check out your website because you seemed really excited about your organization but, I quickly realized that part of your advertisement dealt with how national sororities just don't cut it or measure up.

From your website:
The goal of Omega Psi Chi is to give our members the resources, encouragement, and security to achieve their fullest potential with a lesser financial burden than national sororities.

So, are you trying to start it up nationally? It appears that you view national sororities as financially burdensome. Also, it states on your website:
As a local entity, Omega Psi Chi Sorority allows women the unique opportunity to be a part of a valuable, and social experience in which members help achieve beneficial decisions for the organization. Funds accrued within the organization go directly back into our sorority for members interests and benefits.

What is so unique about your organization that girls can't find something just as good if not better at your school? You really seem to bash national sororities to get your point across as seen here under FAQs:
Many local sororities have more closely-knit groups of girls, allowing for a more intimate bond between sisters, as well as lower dues.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't see it as bashing national sororities. These are benefits of local sororities on some campuses that may be a draw to a student considering joining a GLO. I don't think it is this way on every campus with local sororities. Sometimes locals are the same size as NPC groups on campus. But sometimes the local is smaller in numbers. Some girls find this less intimidating and that they will feel more comfortable in a smaller group. Locals may also have lower dues because they don't have to financially support a house or pay dues to a national organization in addition to local dues. Honestly, my local sorority used some of these selling points when marketing ourselves to PNMs. We wanted to get the point across that we offered a valuable Greek experience, yet we were different than the large housed national groups on campus.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
I don't see it as bashing national sororities. These are benefits of local sororities on some campuses that may be a draw to a student considering joining a GLO. I don't think it is this way on every campus with local sororities. Sometimes locals are the same size as NPC groups on campus. But sometimes the local is smaller in numbers. Some girls find this less intimidating and that they will feel more comfortable in a smaller group. Locals may also have lower dues because they don't have to financially support a house or pay dues to a national organization in addition to local dues. Honestly, my local sorority used some of these selling points when marketing ourselves to PNMs. We wanted to get the point across that we offered a valuable Greek experience, yet we were different than the large housed national groups on campus.
Saying that a local sorority offers a unique bond and has more "close-knit" sisters is bashing national sororities. There are national sororities on that campus, not mine but, other national GLOs. There's a better way to market yourself than just looking like you want to bash national organizations.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

To someone who is looking at joining a local sorority with 20 sisters versus a large national with over 200, it is easier to get to know every single person. Is it this way on every campus? No. I don't know the specifics of Wayne State GLOs, so I can't speak to the numbers on that campus. Being in a local sorority is a unique experience. But no, I don't think the bonds developed are "unique" or "better than" the bonds developed in a chapter of a national organization.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
To someone who is looking at joining a local sorority with 20 sisters versus a large national with over 200, it is easier to get to know every single person. Is it this way on every campus? No. I don't know the specifics of Wayne State GLOs, so I can't speak to the numbers on that campus. Being in a local sorority is a unique experience. But no, I don't think the bonds developed are "unique" or "better than" the bonds developed in a chapter of a national organization.
I never said you believed it. I was mentioning what was on her website. If you don't know the specifics of Wayne State, why are you commenting on it? She is a local sorority at Wayne State where there are other National sororities. Maybe someone who knows more about that school can help us out with this one. I don't know much about the school either but, for her sorority at that campus, she is claiming it is a better fit essentially as she seems to bash nationals. Then she comes on to GC and wants others to take her sorority nationally by offering it up in other threads to start up on their campus. So, she doesn't think that large sororities or national sororities are as unique or close-knit as local ones but, then she wants to make her local a national? Do you see the incongruence?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I am aware of the fact that Wayne State has chapters of national organizations. Where exactly am I commenting on the specifics of that university's situation? I'm speaking to my general experience as a member of both a local sorority and an NPC sorority. I don't see where she is "bashing" nationals. Perhaps you are reading more into her website comments than is intended. I think the website is trying to point out its differences from other orgs on campus, but is not doing so in the most panhellenic or effective way.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, I am aware of the fact that Wayne State has chapters of national organizations. Where exactly am I commenting on the specifics of that university's situation? I'm speaking to my general experience as a member of both a local sorority and an NPC sorority. I don't see where she is "bashing" nationals. Perhaps you are reading more into her website comments than is intended. I think the website is trying to point out its differences from other orgs on campus, but is not doing so in the most panhellenic or effective way.
Did you check out the website or are you just trying to start something just for the sake of finding something to argue with me about? I don't think it's reading it wrong when it specifically gives reasons why a local is much better than a national under the FAQ page and says they are more "close-knit" than nationals. I'd be willing to be that the NPC and NPHC chapters on that campus are probably pretty "close-knit" as Wayne State, from what I understand, is a pretty small school compared to many others in that state. I didn't realize you initially started out in a local. Now I understand.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a little bit confused. Is Omega Psi Chi now seeking to expand? I read through the website and I got the impression it was specific to Wayne State.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-31-2014, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm simply disagreeing with your interpretation. I'm not arguing, being snarky, picking on you, insulting you or using sarcastic emoticons.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
I'm a little bit confused. Is Omega Psi Chi now seeking to expand? I read through the website and I got the impression it was specific to Wayne State.
Yeah, she has made a few threads/ written in a few threads telling others that if they want to have her sorority come to their campus they just had to get in touch with her. She essentially downplays the use of national ties but, then tries to recruit others to bring her sorority to their campus to become national. I'm just as confused as you.

Xidelt, I don't really care what you were trying to do. I pay a lot less attention to your posts than you pay to mine. Please feel free to give your opinion. Just know that, like the many other posts you make to argue with me, I don't really put much thought into how you think or feel.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm commenting on this because I'm very passionate about local Greeks, not because you are in this thread.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm commenting on this because I'm very passionate about local Greeks, not because you are in this thread.
No, of course not. I didn't think that at all.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieadah View Post
If a sorority has more than one chapter can it be a local?

(I am skeptical of over-usage of the word "unique," but I qualify my observation by admitting to membership in the FB group Nitpickers Against Language Abuse.)

Last edited by AGDAlum; 04-01-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDAlum View Post
If a sorority has more than one chapter can it be a local?

(I am skeptical of over-usage of the word "unique," but I qualify my observation by admitting to membership in the FB group Nitpickers Against Language Abuse.)
I wondered this and I assume it is still a local as long as the chapters are in one city or one state.

I thought newer GLOs stopped using the "unique" catchword in the 1990s. People have long figured out that every GLO is "different...just like everyone else."