GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,743
2 members and 1,741 guests
Cookiez17

Old 05-29-2013, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Because I'm feeling a little soft-hearted tonight:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
How can you be interested in only certain sororities when you haven't even met them yet?
Is it really that surprising when a high school student who may not know better (and may not have had reason to know better) expresses attractions to specific sororities based on things colors or symbols, particular history, sororities they've heard of, or other reasons that may seem superficial to someone who does know better? I have no clue whether st OP should know better, but in general I can easily imagine this being an aspect of sorority recruitment that many if not most high school students have a earning curve with.

/soft-heart
Old 05-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Does anyone remember a thread I started eons ago--something about "Dumb Reasons Why You Wanted to Pledge (or Cut) Certain Groups"? A lot of us answered with our ridiculous reasons, like we hated certain mascots or colors--probably due to our being teenagers. Who knows, maybe that's it.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Because I'm feeling a little soft-hearted tonight:

Is it really that surprising when a high school student who may not know better (and may not have had reason to know better) expresses attractions to specific sororities based on things colors or symbols, particular history, sororities they've heard of, or other reasons that may seem superficial to someone who does know better? I have no clue whether st OP should know better, but in general I can easily imagine this being an aspect of sorority recruitment that many if not most high school students have a earning curve with.

/soft-heart
Except that there are nine groups and a colony there, and she named seven of them. That comes off way more as having spent too much time on that other site than having fallen in love with one group's philanthropy or having admired a teacher who was in XYZ or something.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Except that there are nine groups and a colony there, and she named seven of them. That comes off way more as having spent too much time on that other site than having fallen in love with one group's philanthropy or having admired a teacher who was in XYZ or something.
Fair enough.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Not to mention - if you READ THE STICKIES in sorority recruitment and lurk a little bit you will quickly learn that saying you are rushing only a certain number of the sororities on your campus is a bozo no-no.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

It is a faux pas of immense proportions.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
a bozo no-no.
Hahahahaha! I haven't thought about that phrase for years!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Yes to this. I do have to give her points for broadening her horizons since she posted to that other site last week. Then she was only interested in DDD, KKG, Phi Mu and Pi Phi. She had lots of recommendations then too!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Not to mention - if you READ THE STICKIES in sorority recruitment and lurk a little bit you will quickly learn that saying you are rushing only a certain number of the sororities on your campus is a bozo no-no.
Sometimes I wonder if people notice that there even are stickies, especially when there are a bunch of them -- like the 15 in the Sorority Recruitment forum. I'll admit I often don't notice that a thread is a stickie, and it took me a while to notice they were there to begin with.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Occasionally when a thread comes up like this, I wonder if things could be solved when people sign up. Like they have to choose "are you an alumni, looking for NPC formal recruitment info, NPHC," etc and then being forced to read something before posting. I doubt it would ever work, but hey, it's a dream.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-21-2017, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Wonder how it turned out? Did she get into one of the top tier sororities on Greek Rank, as judged by anonymous 18-21 year olds who may or may not even attend college?

p a w e a since 1899