GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,725
0 members and 1,725 guests
No Members online

Old 08-08-2011, 05:10 PM

I still wear them, just in different ways now than I did in undergrad. I carry my Convention tote frequently.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Sure, I wear my letters, just not every freakin day like I did in college. I wear them when I shop or travel.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I only graduated in 2010 so I still have a few t-shirts that I wear when I'm running errands, working out or just having a lazy, hanging around kind of day. I'm sure those will eventually become worn out and unwearable. When they do, I'll probably buy a new letter tee, just to make sure I have one on hand should the occasion arise to wear it. (Hmmm...maybe I'll buy one now...heading to a Greek clothing website after this....) I'll wear my lavalier to sorority functions, same with my hoodie.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing letters as an alum; I think the thing is you just have to understand that there are going to be people who were not involved with Greek life may think it's odd.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing letters as an alum; I think the thing is you just have to understand that there are going to be people who were not involved with Greek life may think it's odd.
If more people did it, less people would think it odd. It's all circular.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

As an alumna initiate of a certain age (read: over 40), I haven't bought any apparel with letters and probably won't - it just feels a bit weird to me. I'm thinking more along the lines of a key chain, piece of jewelry or totebag to show my Alpha Phi pride.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I wear them around the house or when we have alumna events where we're supporting our sorority (ie Memory Walk) and when we support the collegiates at their events.

I recently wore a Sigma Kappa shirt to Disneyland and got some strange looks from collegiates of another chapter when they saw me in letters (they were in their letters). I guess seeing a 7 month pregnant woman proudly sporting letters was strange to them. Lol! After that, I figured my letters will stay at home but I still sport my Sigma Kappa flip-flops & lavaliere.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

When we are doing philanthropy events I'll wear a shirt with our letters. My car has a license plate frame and a magnet showing the partnership with our philanthropy.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I know a lot of the former Phi Delt's that are big CEO's now that still wear their ring or a Phi Delt tie
Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
This varies by council and conference.

In the NPHC, alumnae/alumni wear symbols/letters anywhere the organization's protocol doesn't prohibit. The key is understanding that symbols/letters include but are not limited to 'nalia tshirts. If it can be done in a grown folks style, NPHCers do it until the dayyyyyyy weeeeeee dieeeeeeeee.

ETA: I am not saying that there are no variations within councils and conferences; or that the NPHC is the only council or conference in which members tend to wear symbols/letters as alumnae/alumni.
I've noticed the same thing. I've seen plenty of older NPHC alumni wear their letters (or more commonly, I see a ton of license plate frames), but if I see NPC letters somewhere, it's almost always on a college woman. It also reminds me how many alumnae I encounter who say "Oh, I was a such-and-such in college". You're always a such-and-such!

Anyway, I have a nice Tiffany's-style heart necklace that has Greek letters on it that I used to wear quite often with a business suit. I thought it was subtle enough. I also have a pink leather business card case that has an engraved clasp, and I love that thing - I think it's pretty and appropriate for a young professional.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not an alumna yet, but I'm not sure that I'll wear letters much after.

1. Because we will away most of our stuff to the non-graduating chapter members before we graduate.
2. I already get mistaken for much younger than I am. I don't want people to ask if I'm ready to graduate at 40 (I have been mistaken for half my age, so this is plausible).
3. I don't know that there will be much opportunity to wear it.

However, I do plan on wearing my badge as often as possible.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a chrome AOII on the back of my car that looks really nice. I actually got our Emporium to start selling it. I paid $30 for mine on eBay and now they sell it for $10. Oh well. I wear my badges all the time, and occasionally wear a shirt with AOII embroidered at the top or a screen print shirt from convention. I never wear really big lettered shirts except for last Saturday I wore one to a spring training game for an alum event so we could spot each other in the crowd. I got some really weird looks. It did it's job though!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I recently gave all my tee shirts to my mom so friend of hers could turn them into a tee shirt quit for me. I kept my event sweatshirts, since I am always cold and love my comfy sweatshirts! I passed all of my block letter stuff down when I graduated...

A month or so ago I did buy a new red polo shirt that has "AOII alumna" on it. I figured that since alums need to be "clearly identified" during recruitment and the first two rounds are fairly casual, that this would be perfect to wear.

I also dream of buying myself a new badge. As soon as they start selling ones with alternating rubies and pearls on the O, I'm buying it.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
I recently gave all my tee shirts to my mom so friend of hers could turn them into a tee shirt quit for me. I kept my event sweatshirts, since I am always cold and love my comfy sweatshirts! I passed all of my block letter stuff down when I graduated...

A month or so ago I did buy a new red polo shirt that has "AOII alumna" on it. I figured that since alums need to be "clearly identified" during recruitment and the first two rounds are fairly casual, that this would be perfect to wear.

I also dream of buying myself a new badge. As soon as they start selling ones with alternating rubies and pearls on the O, I'm buying it.
I am with you sister! I want to start a letter writing campaign to R,T & J to let us have that one back!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I am with you sister! I want to start a letter writing campaign to R,T & J to let us have that one back!
oh my, count me in on that one! that sounds stunning.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I wear my Greek letters at alumni fraternal events and homecoming events.