GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,840
0 members and 1,840 guests
No Members online

Old 08-05-2011, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

My next door neighbor, who is in her 40s carries her GPhiB tote bag hither and yon, and I think it's cute.

I have a Sigma Kappa sweatshirt that I wear from time to time, although, it's nearly 18 years old and starting to look a little sad.

As for my t-shirts, my last college homecoming shirt died last fall, and has given its afterlife as an excellent dustrag.

I'd love to have some new stuff - maybe not sewn letters, but a homecoming t or something.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a pretty recent alum, but I wear my stuff pretty often. Out to casual dinner, to the movies, to the store, for walks...I have a ton of those shirts, so I may as well wear them. I have the intention of eventually turning them in to a t-shirt quilt, so anything that wouldn't work for that purpose I handed down (sweatpants I didn't like, tank tops, small-graphic tees)
Old 08-05-2011, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a Victoria's Secret Pink hoodie (in lavender) that already had a heart on it, and I had my letters added to it. You can't tell that the letters weren't printed at the same time as the rest of it. It's absolutely my favorite sweatshirt! I do still make an effort to look polished when I wear it - hair neat, makeup done, etc. That's just too deeply ingrained, I guess!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

AVID

For the past few years, the school that I teach has had college days for AVID. Typically everyone will wear their college T-shirt/sweat shirts or a Greek shirt. It is always fun because everyone gets involved...Not to mention we are not allowed to wear T-shirts any other day

ΚΔΠ Education Honor Society
Old 08-05-2011, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I don't want any future potential new members to think that we're ALL short, fat, gray-haired grandmothers!
This cracked me up, probably because it mirrors my worst fears about myself. I wore my letter sweatshirts a lot more in the first few years after graduation. As my college years grew more distant, I started to be self conscious about whether people would be whispering, "Who is she trying to kid? There's no way she's a college girl!" Now I bring out letter shirts only to the 1-2 sorority events I go to per year.

That being said, I have a jeweled alumnae charm that I wear on a charm bracelet almost every day. It's a more subtle way for me to feel a connection to OPhiA.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

This is a bit of a lane swerve but I have a question about what to do with all of the t-shirts my daughter has brought home. I am going to make a double sided quilt with some, but there will still be lots left over. She may wear a few but I see a lot just taking up room in drawers. I could give them to a thrift store, but the thought of someone not in her house wearing her letters makes me cringe. Do I cut them up and throw them away? Or am I just nuts to worry about something like this?
Old 08-06-2011, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

She could give them to her little or other girls in her chapter.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I would suggest to her that she finds a new home for
them. If I came home and my mother had given my shirts to a thrift store or cut them up I would lose it!

Θ Φ Α

Old 08-06-2011, 06:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AUAZD2001 Send a message via Yahoo to AUAZD2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggforever View Post
This is a bit of a lane swerve but I have a question about what to do with all of the t-shirts my daughter has brought home. I am going to make a double sided quilt with some, but there will still be lots left over. She may wear a few but I see a lot just taking up room in drawers. I could give them to a thrift store, but the thought of someone not in her house wearing her letters makes me cringe. Do I cut them up and throw them away? Or am I just nuts to worry about something like this?
I'v been away from school 6 years and I still can't bear the thought if getting rid of my shirts. Right now they occupy about 4 jumbo spacebags in my guest bedroom closet. Maybe some day I'll be in a pitching mood...
Old 08-06-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggforever View Post
It should. Whatever you do, don't give them to a thrift store.

How about making a second quilt? The chapter could use it as an end of year gift for the sister with the highest GPA or most participation or whatever they want to reward.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie View Post
I have a Victoria's Secret Pink hoodie (in lavender) that already had a heart on it, and I had my letters added to it. You can't tell that the letters weren't printed at the same time as the rest of it. It's absolutely my favorite sweatshirt! I do still make an effort to look polished when I wear it - hair neat, makeup done, etc. That's just too deeply ingrained, I guess!
I am OBSESSED with that idea!!! I want to do it with my highlighter pink hoodie!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Hijack: i want to buy this (but am not because I don't need it) since it is cute (and it reminds me of VS pink!)

http://somethinggreek.com/shop/shope...+Hoody&id=6332
Old 08-08-2011, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
^^^Oooooooooh, I like that!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidKD View Post
Hijack: i want to buy this (but am not because I don't need it) since it is cute (and it reminds me of VS pink!)

http://somethinggreek.com/shop/shopexd.asp?prod=Sorority+Ladies'+5-Button+Printed+Hoody&id=6332

This reminds me (in terms of the message) of our Peace, Love, Xi shirt (which I have and I love):

Old 08-08-2011, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I have two sweatshirts from college that I saved. I gave one to my daughter last year when she joined. After she was initiated, I gave her the second one( it has the crest.) She wears them proudly even though they are 25+ years old.
She in turn gave me an ADPi shopping bag/Tote make from recycled plastic that was given to all the NM. I carry it frequently when I need to "tote" stuff around.