GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,467
4 members and 1,463 guests
AlizaXzd60, bannetattsa680, NikiMussen

Old 01-25-2010, 04:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile Denied...Denied...Accepted?

Hey Ladies!

My roommates and I were having a discussion regarding NPHC orgs and one roommate is an interest of 'ABC' sorority. She applied for membership during Spr. 08...however, she was not accepted. She definitely intends to try again next time, but we were wondering if she were denied again...and again the next time...and again another time... would she eventually be accepted?

I realize that if they had to have denied her membership for some reason or another, (i.e. grades, com. service [or lack therof], etc] but once everything was "up to par" with even the MINIMUM requirements of that org and after years of trying ...would she eventually be accepted even if she had to go through an alumnae chapter?

I hope this question makes a little sense, LOL. If not, I can try to clarify...and if REALLY not then...I'll hang my head in shame.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiringchica08 View Post
Hey Ladies!

My roommates and I were having a discussion regarding NPHC orgs and one roommate is an interest of 'ABC' sorority. She applied for membership during Spr. 08...however, she was not accepted. She definitely intends to try again next time, but we were wondering if she were denied again...and again the next time...and again another time... would she eventually be accepted?

I realize that if they had to have denied her membership for some reason or another, (i.e. grades, com. service [or lack therof], etc] but once everything was "up to par" with even the MINIMUM requirements of that org and after years of trying ...would she eventually be accepted even if she had to go through an alumnae chapter?

I hope this question makes a little sense, LOL. If not, I can try to clarify...and if REALLY not then...I'll hang my head in shame.
Your question makes sense but it's still dumb.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Hm..okay thanks!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Do you typically go to restaurants, buy clothing, and date men that only meet your MINIMUM requirements? (It's edible, it fits, it has a penis)

Sorry ladies, that just stuck out at me. Going back to my lane
Old 01-25-2010, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your response...

What I meant by that was I know that orgs do not want to accept membership of an aspirant who meets only minumim req.

But when I said everything was "up to par...even with minimum req.", I can't say what up to par may mean with that particular org. To a NG, it may mean one thing and something totally different to a Greek. So I just said even the minimum to say that she has at least done comm. service, has good academics, things of that sort.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Your question makes sense but it's still dumb.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hey Ladies!
If everything isn't up to par right NOW why is she even applying at this time???
Old 01-25-2010, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Aspiringchica08, NPHC organizations expect applicants to keep applying as many times as necessary. The more you apply, the more it looks like 'its in your heart'.

The rejection takes over as basically a mind game that applicants are somehow, missing something from their lives if they don't keep trying harder to be a member. The rejection also is supposed to make applicants hold dear, the principles of lifetime commitment, since it took alot of 'work and rejection' to become a member.

Amazing how grad chapters may boast having 500 members/200 financial members, yet the lifetime commitment of service is only carried out by 50 members. What happened to the other 450???
Old 01-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

Those were not words of wisdom. Be quiet.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinderella View Post
Aspiringchica08, NPHC organizations expect applicants to keep applying as many times as necessary.
That's crazy talk.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinderella View Post
Amazing how grad chapters may boast having 500 members/200 financial members, yet the lifetime commitment of service is only carried out by 50 members. What happened to the other 450???
Umm. And what did this have to do with her question?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Spinderella has a point--and she would know. Personally I don't know anyone who hadn't been denied at least twice before being accepted into their org of choice. It took me four tries. And although she probably won't admit it, Dr. Phil shared with me that it took her three times.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Spinderella has a point--and she would know. Personally I don't know anyone who hadn't been denied at least twice before being accepted into their org of choice. It took me four tries. And although she probably won't admit it, Dr. Phil shared with me that it took her three times.
Only 3-4 times? It mustve been in your heart, deep in your heart.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Spinderella and ladygreek...and everyone else!

Ch2tf...as far as I thought everything was up to par for her...but I am not a part of that org, nor am I greek... She had a 3.0 GPA and involved in many clubs around our campus which allows her to perform community service...

So let's say if she'd done 30 hours of community service and was active in 3 clubs...got that 3.0 GPA... but didn't get accepted...

The org could say 30 hours is not enough...or 3 clubs is not enough...a 3.0 is not high enough. I doubt think they told her why she didn't get it.. but I would be concerned about things like that. Not something that won't really change like the type of person that you are when you are at Rush or wherever (if you aren't acting a certain way for them to 'like you').
Old 01-25-2010, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Jen,

I think that it could go either way depending on who the person is...

If they got denied the first time and finally made it...they might look at someone who makes it first try and feel like they can look down on them because of not having to go through the experience of proving themselves.

But if one were accepted the first time around...they might look at someone who makes it the first try as if they are of high caliber...

But I think it depends on the type of person he/she is and things of that nature.