GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,663
0 members and 1,663 guests
No Members online

Old 07-19-2014, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never heard of this before now! Great idea. I have all android devices, so Chrome is obviously my default but I will try to use this at least a couple times every day!
Old 07-19-2014, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I just saw yesterday that you can also use Amazon "smile" and donate 5% of your purchase price at Amazon to a charity of your choice. AOII Foundation was an option.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-20-2014, 03:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Does yours say 5% or 0.5%? I raced to Amazon Smile to set up my preferences because GoodSearch only donates 1.5% of Amazon purchases. I found the Gamma Phi Beta Foundation, but then it said 0.5%.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I might have read that wrong.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-20-2014, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I give is another such site. I know Delta Gamma gets some thru shopping at their sites.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Something small but wonderful: a young boy, age ten, laying across a sidewalk and peering into the grass with a magnifying glass. Ah, the joys of Spring Break!
Old 04-04-2015, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

People being awesome, as they are wont to do:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/the-w...ace#.oxryX1KW1
Old 06-29-2015, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
People being awesome, as they are wont to do:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/the-w...ace#.oxryX1KW1
Thanks for the pick-me-up, SWTXbelle.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought I'd update, since I've re-discovered GoodSearch.

Well, it's more that I cleared my cache, and now GoodSearch pops up in my address bar before Google. Google is definitely the better search engine, but GS works ok for most things.

So - I joined in July 2014, and so far I've raised $35.43 for the Gamma Phi Beta Foundation:
$1.85 in searches
$33.58 in online purchases

I'm sure this total should be more, but any commissions from Amazon don't get tallied in your individual account, I guess.

And - I've made SO MANY additional purchases this last year that I didn't use the GoodShop website for. This total could have been so much higher!

I wish that our organizations would advertise this, at least for the online shopping. So many of our members buy things online on a regular basis. Yes, it's an extra step to go through the GoodShop website, but it all starts adding up!

Last edited by LAblondeGPhi; 09-23-2015 at 03:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta Phi Alpha also uses GoodSearch and is an option for Amazon Smile.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

University of Missouri Football Strike

http://www.thenation.com/article/3-l...s-resignation/

I don't know how widely this bombshell was noted, but the 69% of the Mizzou football team (closely followed by the complete support of the rest of the team and the coaching staff) refused to practice or play until the president of the university resigned. It worked! This article I think is a great manifesto for how to get things done on campus.

And if sorority women understood the power they wield, if not the same amount as the football players, still they wield A LOT of power. Tired of the fraternities controlling your social schedule? There is one damn easy way to fix that. And these guys had a lot more to risk than a social calendar.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not exactly sure what the President and Chancellor failed to do. I've read that there were a few incidents of some individuals (do we even know these were students?) yelling racial slurs at students. Then there was the fecal swastika--which could easily be as attributed to mental illness as actual racism.

At Oklahoma, when we had those SAEs singing racist songs on a bus, the President and university are now probably going to lose some lawsuits. I'm not sure what these protesters really want--administrators to overcorrect and get themselves sued?

Glad I'm not a college administrator.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-10-2015, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'm not exactly sure what the President and Chancellor failed to do. I've read that there were a few incidents of some individuals (do we even know these were students?) yelling racial slurs at students. Then there was the fecal swastika--which could easily be as attributed to mental illness as actual racism.

At Oklahoma, when we had those SAEs singing racist songs on a bus, the President and university are now probably going to lose some lawsuits. I'm not sure what these protesters really want--administrators to overcorrect and get themselves sued?

Glad I'm not a college administrator.
Have you heard about what's happening at Yale right now? It's ridiculous.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Have you heard about what's happening at Yale right now? It's ridiculous.
Any sort of good will these culture warriors used to have with mainstream America is quickly being expended. These children and their granola-munching communication teachers are quickly becoming the face of the civil rights movement. These classless clowns are going to set back the real civil rights movement by decades with these silly antics.

I find it absurd that these kids think they are standing for something, but can't be bothered to roam beyond the safe confines of their college campuses to take their 'courageous stands.' These people are not coming off as courageous or even victims. They're bullies who haven't even really articulated exactly what it is they want.

The Yale thing, I think has blown up way beyond that single party where a black brother allegedly told a black would-be attendee that she was being turned away because it was a white girls only party--in reality, they were turned away because they were Columbia students and the Yale Police required them to check for Yale IDs before admitting people to the party.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-10-2015, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Any sort of good will these culture warriors used to have with mainstream America is quickly being expended. These children and their granola-munching communication teachers are quickly becoming the face of the civil rights movement. These classless clowns are going to set back the real civil rights movement by decades with these silly antics.

I find it absurd that these kids think they are standing for something, but can't be bothered to roam beyond the safe confines of their college campuses to take their 'courageous stands.' These people are not coming off as courageous or even victims. They're bullies who haven't even really articulated exactly what it is they want.

The Yale thing, I think has blown up way beyond that single party where a black brother allegedly told a black would-be attendee that she was being turned away because it was a white girls only party--in reality, they were turned away because they were Columbia students and the Yale Police required them to check for Yale IDs before admitting people to the party.
The protestors have articulated exactly what they want. One thing on their list is that their requests from 1969 (that's 46 years ago!!) are met. These aren't new problems or a result of an isolated incident. This has been building since the university was founded and especially since the Ferguson protests last year and there's a long history of race issues on this campus (and pretty much every campus in the country). They aren't only protesting racism as the media would have you believe, a huge part of the reason they wanted Wolfe gone was the grad student controversy. Students met with Wolfe and he was disrespectful toward their experiences and failed to care about the racism that is prominent on campus. A man who doesn't care about students shouldn't be the president. everyone protesting recognizes that removing Wolfe and Loftin isn't going to solve the problem of racism on this campus. They have plans for the future and know that it will take time and a lot of work. Getting new administration is just the first step. While removing someone doesn't change much at all (immediately), replacing them with someone who truly cares to make changes to improve the campus will make a difference.
Educate yourself before posting next time. Even if you don't agree with everything they've done you don't get to invalidate their experiences because yours aren't the same. They have faced racism and systemic oppression and that's what they're fighting for.