GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,587
3 members and 2,584 guests
JayhawkAOII, Phrozen Sands, Titchou

Old 01-13-2002, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Question WTC Pic/statue.....

I heard someone is going to make a statue of the 3 guys putting the flag up at the WTC site. But instead of keeping it true to the picture, they want to change it so there are other races depicted by the statue. I think that is just sickening. Gimme a break! Dont take something as raw and beautiful as that and change it to something else in the name of political correctness.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-13-2002, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't heard about this statue. Are they going to put it at ground zero as a memorial?
Old 01-14-2002, 12:03 AM
Banned

Lightbulb

It's not about political correctness, it's about representing US as a whole.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:45 AM

Here is the photo in question
Old 01-14-2002, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I have not heard anything about them changing the race of the guys that were putting the flag up but personally I think that it would be wrong. It totally changes the face of the picture. That picture was taken when 3 firefighters were having to save people, I could not even begin to imagine what they saw or were even going through. I think that picture is one of the most amazing moments in history caught by a camera and should not be altered in any way. Thats just my opinion.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

that picture will be made into a statue?? Like a bronze one? If the statue is bronze, how will you be able to tell what race they are?
Old 01-14-2002, 03:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by hocnsoc81
It's not about political correctness, it's about representing US as a whole.
You can't be serious.

If we're representing the US as a whole, well we're into percentages of the three people . . . we'll make one and a half of these three people female, then we'll . . . OK, whatever, let's not even get into that argument - here's the point:

WHY IS IT NECESSARY TO CHANGE RACES? OR EVEN INDICATE RACE?

Unbelievable to me that, in this day and age, we even consider this as an issue - make them out of bronze, hell don't even put faces on them so as to eliminate gender - that's NOT THE POINT.

Not even close - think about it.

Represent the US as a whole? OK, fine - also, let's pretend we've reached a higher plateau of civilization, and not make race an issue.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:36 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by KSig RC

You can't be serious.

If we're representing the US as a whole, well we're into percentages of the three people . . . we'll make one and a half of these three people female, then we'll . . . OK, whatever, let's not even get into that argument - here's the point:

Unbelievable to me that, in this day and age, we even consider this as an issue - make them out of bronze, hell don't even put faces on them so as to eliminate gender - that's NOT THE POINT.

Represent the US as a whole? OK, fine - also, let's pretend we've reached a higher plateau of civilization, and not make race an issue.
Oh, never mind, never mind! I got the full story on it from "The View" 10 minutes ago. I read Beef's story entirely wrong, I thought it would be a statue of some random firefighters. Turns out to be a stature from actual firefighters in a real photograph (shoot me, I haven't been following the news at all!). In that case, the races of the men should reflect those actual men in the photograph and not be changed. My bad!
Old 01-14-2002, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG I have never seen that photo. It brought tears to my eyes! I am SO proud to live in the USA.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:06 PM

Exclamation Beef, what source did you hear this from?

I would be interested to read more about this proposed statue...did you read it on abcnews.com or cnn.com?
Please let us know so we can read about it further. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Ive seen it on the news mostly, FOX News. Havent seen it on the net aside from on some other forusm.... I will look for some links though.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Link

Here's a link to the news

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/01/12/rec...tue/index.html

Personally I agree with most of the people, the change of the history is wrong.
If they want to represent all races or whatever, they should design some other figures, not based on the actual photograph (history).
Old 01-14-2002, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/2002..._statue_2.html
Old 01-15-2002, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by KSig RC

My sentiments exactly!!
Old 01-15-2002, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember when I visited Washington D.C. in 8th grade and I took a picture of the statue of the men raising the flag from WW2?!? Anyways - I remember when the whole WTC incident occured and I first saw that picture it reminded me of the one I had taken so many years ago.

If they're going to do a true statue of the picture they shouldn't change a thing (including race). Pictures capture memories in split seconds and that picture will live on in the memories of many of us. Why change it? To be politically incorrect? Who cares? As if the whole tragedy didn't affect us ALL anyway?

Personally I'd be pissed if they wanted to change my race and I were one of the fire fighters in the statue (if they're recreating the actual picture).

Just my .02!

Hootie