GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,531
2 members and 1,529 guests
gatordeltapgh, Phrozen Sands

Old 12-03-2006, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Yay sounds like fun! And if you do go back to the "so-so" houses remember that you could have just gotten a bad rusher, where the lack of conversation is just due to her inexperience.

I can't imagine going to so many houses!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-03-2006, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

What a great start to your recruitment experience! Good luck today, and we're so glad you're sharing all of this with us!
Old 12-03-2006, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

great story so far!! good luck today...and keep warm!
Old 12-03-2006, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on a successful first day! Hang in there--I have heard how overwhelming rush can be at IU--and I know it's a scary experience in general, but it's also a lot of fun. I hope you have a second great day of parties--stay warm and stay positive!
Hope to hear an update tonight!
Old 12-04-2006, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Here's the latest article from the IU newspaper about "19 party"

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.ph...earch&id=39682
Old 12-04-2006, 12:18 PM

I know it's cold in Indiana, I'm in Ohio & it's below freezing. I have a few greek friends at IU.

It's so cold there that most of my friends' sororities give out lettered hoodies or fleece jackets for Bid Day because it's far too cold that time of year to give out anything else.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Day Two!!

Hey everyone! Sorry I didn’t write last night. I had to start studying for a test today at 10. And I’m pretty sure I caught something after being in the cold all day! Normally I’m absolutely miserable in freezing cold weather, but all the girls would jump and down to the music blaring from each house, trying to stay warm. Plus, the rho gammas would make jokes and play games with us to help pass the time during the 20 minutes waiting outside.

Before going into 19 party I thought there would be quite a few houses I wouldn’t like, and that it would be easy to rank my least favorites. And after Saturday I didn’t think I’d like any houses as much as I loved Burnt Sienna. I was so wrong on all three of these things! Sunday made it so hard for me to rank. Here’s why:

My first house was Wild Watermelon. Their house is insanely beautiful and the girls I talked to had a lot of similarities with me. These girls were the second house I visited where I could tell that they really love their philanthropy. After this visit I knew it was going to start getting hard, because I liked most of the 11 sororities!

Next I went to Prussian blue. I really wish this wasn’t a multi-rush because I left without learning as much as I did in other single-rush houses. The members here are very peppy and energetic. We talked more about current events than about ourselves. Even though I didn’t feel that the talks went as well as other houses, I still liked this house, which was good. I would love to go back and get to know more about these ladies.

Atomic Tangerine was my only letdown of 19 Party. I had heard good things about them but just didn’t have a spark with the girls here. Their house is different than the others, not necessarily bad different, just…different. I’m starting to notice that houses where I multi-rush just aren’t memorable and don't go as well as the single rushes.

Then we went to Cerulean (which is my favorite of all the Crayola names!) This house was the prettiest house in my opinion. And they had it decorated all over, so it was very cute! Thankfully I had a single rush here with three girls and I had the most comfortable and fun conversations out of any house. We kept chatting and chatting about anything and everything! One of the girls and I have the same major and I just had the best conversations of the day so far. I finally had to say goodbye to the last member as we stood outside for too long so I wouldn’t get her in trouble! This is without a doubt my favorite one!

Our last house before break was Mauvelous. This is a beautiful, popular house with equally impressive girls. This was my best multi-rush of 19 party. I felt kinda bad that I ended up talking more than the other girl(s) I was multi-rushed with, but the member just kept asking me questions! But after I left I had this little feeling that the girls in the house and I weren’t very similar, despite our good conversations. This wasn’t near the top of my rankings but I would definitely go back again if invited!

After a very short-feeling lunch we marched back out in the cold to visit Razzmatazz. I didn’t know anything about this house before meeting them and despite another multi-rush I liked the girls I talked with. I didn’t care for the house as much as some of the others, but as far as 19 party goes, I’m not basing my decisions on the house, so I focused on the rest of the conversations with the members. I did notice that the girls are very similar in personality and appearance when compared to other houses' members.

Shamrock time! I didn’t know about this house either and I was pleasantly surprised. I was so glad to get out of my multi-rush rut and actually be able to talk with the girls. I know I’ve said this a thousand times, but they have a beautiful house too. Still, after having been to most of the houses, I could tell the personalities that I would match with better than others. Shamrock was nice, but not as great a connection as others.

By the time Mulberry rolled around, it was dark and in the teens temperature-wise. Our group was doing everything we could to stay warm, but it was getting so hard! When we finally got inside this house, which was a multi-rush, the first thing I noticed is how enthusiastic they still were at the near end of two days! We went on a long house tour then spoke to a few girls. This house is another campus favorite but I just didn’t get that vibe. I could tell though that these girls absolutely love their sorority so much and are always so energetic!

LAST HOUSE YAY! My last house visit was Cerise (my other favorite crayon!) and I absolutely loved them! One of the most gorgeous houses on campus, for sure. Maybe it was the sorority or maybe it was the fact that it was the last party, but these girls were one of the most energetic (but not scary hyper) groups of all the houses! I had the best conversations with the members and was sad to go. It didn’t feel like a half-hour at all when the time was up! I could totally see myself being in this house!

Immediately after Cerise, we ran back to meet our rho gamma and spent the next few hours ranking. I have to say that I’m so glad we didn’t have to do a full rank; it was hard enough ranking our least favorites! I don’t know if it was the same during your rushes, but at IU at 19 party we only put our numbers 13-19 in order. That way if we don’t get back some of our top 12, we essentially get back the “best of the worst,” which is an awful term but the easiest way to describe it.

I ended up ranking the whole thing because I felt that if I only did the bottom 7, then I would be looking for something bad in each of the sororities, whereas if I ranked them starting with my favorites, then whatever ended up in the bottom wouldn’t have been me trying to find reasons to put them there. Ahhhhh I’m sorry if I just confused you with that last bit!

Also it’s not like there was a huge difference between houses. In the end there were 4 houses that I really wouldn’t want to go back to, and 2 more that were pretty close. There were 3 that I loved most of all, and the rest were so close! And honestly, I would love to go back to most of them for 12 party if I could, even the “so-so” houses, so I’m really happy the way 19 party went! Here’s the rankings I turned in:

Cerulean
Burnt Sienna
Cerise
Granny smith apple
Prussian blue
Purple mountain’s majesty
Wild Watermelon
Jazzberry jam
Shamrock
Laser lemon
Razzmatazz
Mauvelous
Atomic tangerine
Banana mania
Fuzzy wuzzy brown
Mango tango
Mulberry
Mac-n-cheese
Bittersweet

WHEW! So it was one loooooong and cold weekend but it was so worth it because I had a blast! One thing I didn’t expect was to meet so many cool girls just in my rho gamma group and my 19 party group! In exactly one month we’ll find out which houses we’re going to for 12 party. Actually, we find out after 6 am the day of 12 party, to be exact. Isn't that awful?!? I don’t have any clue how many invites I’ll even get back. As long as there’s one I’m okay!

I remember reading on GC about how some girls go to a house sometime during rush and act completely rude or bored or flat out ignore the house. I understand why now. I didn’t know that you absolutely had to go to every house you get back! Well, at least that’s IU’s policy. We were told the 4 most important words we have to remember all throughout rush is “get inside the house.” If attendance is taken and you’re not on the list, we’re kicked out of rush completely. We're told to bang on the doors, windows, ring the bell 100 times if we have to, as long as we get inside the house. I had assumed that if you didn’t like a house you didn’t have to show up, that way they couldn’t rank you well to invite you back. I’m not saying I agree with acting rude at a house, it’s just that now I can see why some girls do. That was definitely my “something new” of this weekend. My other “something new” is that before January 4th, nearly half of the girls who went through 19 party are going to drop…HALF! My rho gamma told us that nearly 100 girls dropped after Saturday.

Oh, before I go, there are live out policies at many of the houses. I don’t know who heard that all houses have mandatory live in, but then rush at IU wouldn’t be as big as it is because they wouldn’t be able to take in such big pledge classes! There are some houses that bed-rush because they like having senior live in, though. Those are the houses that take in a lot less girls after break.

I’ll write back on here if people have questions. If I don’t, then have a wonderful Christmas break!!!

Pink-aaaaay

Last edited by <3gpinky<3; 12-04-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I ended up ranking the whole thing because I felt that if I only did the bottom 7, then I would be looking for something bad in each of the sororities, whereas if I ranked them starting with my favorites, then whatever ended up in the bottom wouldn’t have been me trying to find reasons to put them there.
I think this is VERY SMART of you. I'm glad to hear you had such a great time!
Old 12-04-2006, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on another successful day. I loved your creative code names You have a great outlook and I hope you get invited back to all of the houses you enjoyed for 12 party! I can't imagine having to wait an entire month--the suspense would kill me!
Happy Holidays--looking forward to an update after winter break!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Good lord woman, this is tough goin'. Glad to see you're holding it together and that you've got a logical, even handed system for your decision basing.

Your Rho Gammas must be saints as well...I've got a group of 13 (as of end of semester) that I'm taking care of w/ another PX, and the sheer face-regonition factor is boggling my mind.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Your code names are great. I'm glad that you had a good time. I don't know how you are keeping everything straight with so many houses, even with quick little notes I'd be lost!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 12-05-2006, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on making it through the 19 Party! It sounds like you're enjoying yourself and I absolutely love the code names! Best of luck with the rest of Formal Recruitment and thanks for the updates!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

fabulous descriptions. you made me feel as if i was there.
your evaluation of each chapter seemed very logical.

best wishes that you get your most faves come january. we will be waiting with baited breath until then.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah it is totally not fair that we have to wait until January to hear more. I can't imagine how hair it would be to wait a month until you got the invite list back...I thought it was bad enough I had to wait less than 24 hours much less ONE MONTH!!!!!!!! Well you definitely have me hooked and leaving me wanting more!!!!!
Old 12-06-2006, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonz View Post
Your code names are great. I'm glad that you had a good time. I don't know how you are keeping everything straight with so many houses, even with quick little notes I'd be lost!
It wasn't the easiest thing, believe me. By the end of the day I was confusing the insides of some houses. But I still remember the names of all the girls I talked to from both days except for 6 (don't ask! )

And yes our rho gammas are amazing. That's 80 names to remember and a lot of tears they're going to have to deal with. Not many people can do that.

Three days later and I'm crazy antsy...wait, is that even a word? Well, I'm getting so impatient. I think it will be better when I get home for break because then I won't have time to think about it.

I just read through both my posts for the first time today...it's so weird! Each time I came back to my room during 19 party I wrote up a detailed description of each house and the members. Then when I wrote the summaries to put on here, I had to cut out so much info! It would have been awesome to write down a lot more about each house for you all.

I'll be driving back to IU on the third for our rho gamma meetings. But 6 a.m. January 4th, 2007...it needs to hurry up and get here! I don't know how well I'll be sleeping the night of the 3rd!

And to top it all off, I have the Boom Boom cheers stuck in my head.

I feel bad that you have to wait the whole month with me. But think about it this way: when the time comes, it will hopefully become a rush thread you're more used to, with parties each day instead of a big space in between. Now that's an exciting thought!