GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,125
2 members and 1,123 guests
ajanessshulze31, g41965

Old 08-08-2002, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to enlightenment06
DeltaSigStan

Hold up DeltaSigStan, don't go throwing value judgements at other people's organizations. If the ethnic or multicultural greeks aren't running a tight ship, then they need to work some things out, but like FuzzieAlum said not everyone operates top notch.

My fraternity IS a REAL fraternity, founded only seven years after yours. I wonder what Bro. Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. would say if he were here and knew that you insinuated that our fraternity is not real or has less value than traditionally white ones.

It seems very obvious to me that you do not understand the origins and purposes of ethnic and/or multicultural greek organizations.

Might I suggest you check out the book "The Divine Nine" by Lawrence C. Ross, Jr. Also check out www.latinogreeks.com. If anyone knows of any other good resources I'm interested in knowing them myself.

Since I became active on greekchat I've endeavored to find out as much as possible about NPC and NIC organizations. I've learned that some different ogranizations from white greeks to latino greeks to black greek to multicultural greeks have entirely different philosophies and the misunderstandings of our fundamental differences is what leads to bashing. As SapphireSweetie said, all of differences must be respected. Our two organizations may be as different as night and day, but that doesn't make either one any less greek than the other. That's my $.06 cents.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to Enlightenment06, FuzzieAlum, and Shine for breaking it down...You know it's people who make ignorant statements like DeltaSigStan who make greek life in general look bad and makes *some* whites look like they have a serious superiority complex. Yes, go ahead and gasp, I went there!!!!

1) All Ethnic, Multicultural and service orgs are real GLOs and we do not need your approval or anyone else's for that matter to call ourselves GLO's.

2)Don't say that ethnic AND multicultural orgs do far more hazing than IFC and PHC. First of all, there are NO known cases of any multicultural sorority hazing!!! So obviously not having a council has worked thus far.

3)Last time I checked, we are not begging anyone for recognition or a house. If you compared the number of IFC and NPC sororities that have houses you would see that those orgs have more houses than Ethnic and MC orgs, so we are NOT begging anyone for anything. As far as recognition, we don't beg anyone to pledge our orgs. If you want to join, you come to the interest meeting!!!! We are not going to run around campus with letters on to see how many people we are going to recruit.

4) Don't compare the actions of one ethnic org. to all of us. I'm sure the number of hazing incidents in IFC and PHC will outnumber those of ethnic and multicultural orgs.

Whatever your issues are with Minorities or anyone else who strives to do something different, you seriously need to get over them.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't have anything against the Divine Nine because you're Service Organizations that also do social events. Add to that, you guys DO answer to a very strict governing body.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaSigStan

The body that governs our ethnic GLOs is a joke.
Exactly which body are you referring to? I'm eager to know. The ethnic orgs that do have a governing body are the Historically BGLOs as in Divine Nine, and the Latino Greek Council. Don't try and back out now!
Old 08-08-2002, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

For one, I'm Filipino.

Ok, I did go a little too far not calling them "real", but I know at my campus they do haze, very harshly, and in the open. We were at a supermarket at nigth and saw a multicultural sorority hazing their pledges there. I'm not going to say anything, but I know if it was IFC or PHC doing that, there'd be repurcussions. And having pledges both an Asian fraternity and Delta Sig, I know from my own experiences that ethnic GLOs do some pretty harsh stuff. On top of all that, IFC NEVER looked at my race as a factor, yet when I was pledging the Asian frat, all they'd tell me is "IFC is so racist, they'd never take guys like us"

I know that ethnic GLOs do good work in the community and what not, and I know some really cool people in them. I just think they should be governed the same way we are.

I know I'm just speaking from experiences at my school, but I know it's like this at other schools too. I know that's not enough experience to make a generalization (maybe), but from what i know and from talking to others, it's not fair.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eirene_DGP

Exactly which body are you referring to? I'm eager to know. The ethnic orgs that do have a governing body are the Historically BGLOs as in Divine Nine, and the Latino Greek Council. Don't try and back out now!
Try and back out of what? I didn't see your post!?!?!

The one at San Diego State is the USFC (United Soroity Fraternity Council), and governs all of the ethnic fraternities (except NPHC which exists but does not participate in other Greek Affairs with us). They do Greek Week with IFC and PHC, and occasionally either us or them will have a philantrophy and the other will attend, but that's it.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Cultural Relativism vs Universalism

I just don't think it's anyone's place to say how another organization should be "governed", especially when looking through the lens of your own org.

Last edited by Senusret I; 08-08-2002 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Cultural Relativism vs Universalism

Quote:
Originally posted by dardenr
I just don't think it's anyone's place to say how another organization should be "governed", especially when looking through the lens of our own org.
It's a lot easier to say that when you don't have IFC peering over your shoulder watching your every move.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Fine, whatever, it really doesn't matter to me.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SapphireSweetie
Now, correct me if I'm wrong DeltaSigStan, but what I'm getting from what you are saying is that ethnic and MCGLOs should be governed the same way as GLOs regulated by NPC and IFC. Don't you think that depreciates from the value on diversity that these GLOs stand for?

Traditionally, ethnic and MCGLOs separated from NPC and IFC because they wanted something different and something more in tune for the values that they are looking for. You can even compare it to the way each and every one of us had searched for a GLO that we would be proud to call our own. By stating that you would prefer the ethnic and MCGLOs to be like NPC and IFC is just a little idealistic, especially since NPC and IFC act differently campus to campus to suit the needs that are found in those individulal campuses. Moreover, in wanting to have ethnic and MCGLOs to have the same governing bodies as NPC and IFC, you're stating point blank that such organizations just should have joined NPC and IFC and not have tried to branch out on their own.

I have the unique experience of being in an NPC sorority, but had looked strongly into being a part of an NPHC sorority, picking up information about the MCGLOs as I inquired. As a Filipina, I wanted to look into everything and make sure that I had covered all the bases. Unless one has explored the facets of each can one truly be able to state the facts. But does bashing or harsh criticism really help if it's not constructive? Answer that.

Last edited by SapphireSweetie; 08-08-2002 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, this is borderline amazing! I say borderline because its so normal to have someone bashing Greeks in one way or another. First big ups to my soror for representing and alerting me to this madness. DeltaSigStan, I know you're speaking from your small direct view of multicultural and ethnic GLOs, but there are hundreds of colleges and universities in this country and hundreds of GLO chapters all over. Your views are based upon your personal bubble. GLOs, universally, don't haze as harshly as you're saying or haze at all. Multicultural and ethnic GLOs, universally, don't haze as harshly as you're saying or haze at all. If you feel consrained by IFC, then tough luck. YOU chose to be a part of an organization that was governed by them. Hopefully you did your homework before choosing, so you should have know about that from giddyup. Don't be mad that other people DID do they're homework and decided to go with choices B and C, so they don't have to answer to The Man like you do. That is really a personal problem. That's like a kid crying because he stole a cookie and got in trouble but the boy that stole a car got away. I mean, so what. You already knew there was an alarm on the cookie jar. You can't be mad at the other little boy because he knew the car was unlocked and nobody was watching.

What I mean is, you made a choice. Deal with it. But don't be mad at people who make different choices that allow them more freedom. (I'm not saying that in relation to hazing, but freedom to conduct business how THEY see fit).
Old 08-08-2002, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I DID do my homework. I pledged an Asian frat, and many of the things they did would get many other GLOs in major trouble. I know the procedure of rush is a lot different, but the process of pledging is the pretty much the same. If they're going to go through the same things, then they should be treated the same way by the powers that be!
Old 08-08-2002, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Let me start off saying Sister DeeGeePee, you are off the chain!!!!

DeltaSigStan, if you pledged an Asian Fraternity, why are you going off on the same ethnic orgs that YOU wanted to be a part of? Are you having second thoughts about going IFC instead of ethnic? The last time I checked, this thread was for people who are in Up and Coming National Orgs.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

lol leaving USFC was the best choice I ever made. I left because I didn't fit in with them. All they wanted to do is race Hondas and go to raves, which isn't me. Yeah that's fitting the stereotype, but it's true. It's my mistake and I admit to it. I never hung out with Asians in high school, so pledging an Asian frat was a bad idea.

I'm fine in my house. BUt I don't think it's fair that no one investigates the harsh treatment many of the USFC pledges get. It was pointless activities that would definitly constitue hazing. AND I know that if an IFC house were to do the same thing, they'd be watched and eventually all of it would be found.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Wow!! How did I miss this thread?

DeltaSigStan, it really depends on your campus. What goes on at your school is not the rule at all schools, like DeeGeePee stated in her post. Not all of us function that way.

Most LGLOs, MCGLOs, AGLOs, etc. have their own National governing body that they answer to. In most cases, Nationals has set guidelines that the chapter must abide by: having an advisor on campus, being recognized by/and in good standing with the university, being a member of a greek council on campus (on some campuses they fall in as associate/full members under one council or another), etc. This includes following the school's anti-hazing policies as well as the org's.

I was under the impression that in order to have events, use campus facilities, etc. a GLO must be recognized by the university. And, in order to be recognized that GLO must be a member of one of the greek councils. Maybe that's just a certain schools. I know that doesn't always solve the problem of hazing because even if you are not recognized on campus, you can still "function" so to speak. But, hey, it's something.

If the "ethnic" orgs on your campus are allowed to get away with certain things that other NPC/IFC orgs are not, whose fault is that? The squeaky wheel gets the oil. I'm not one for "ratting" on other organizations, but if it is such a huge issue and is out of control, then your greek coucil(s) needs to speak up.