GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,189
1 members and 2,188 guests
Titchou

Old 02-02-2009, 03:05 AM
PotentialGreek4

Honest Opinions

I'm most likely going to Ole Miss this fall and I'll be a sophomore transfer from Alabama (the state, not the school). I'm planning on going through rush but I know from everything I've ever read or heard that recruitment at Ole Miss is extremely competitive. I know being a sophomore will hurt me a good bit but what are my chances of getting into one of the higher tier fraternities? I ask that, specifically, only because I feel like those are the houses in which I would fit in best (I don't really see myself being a Delta Psi, ya know?). I also don't know anyone at Ole Miss, much less any greeks. I would definitely try hard to make it to summer rush events, knowing how important those can be, but being from south Alabama (Mobile), the trip to Oxford isn't a short one and I've also heard that some fraternities' summer events are invitation only and knowing no one there, I don't think I'd be invited.

I'm a really personable, outgoing guy and I'm told that I'm funny and witty and blah blah blah but I just need to get my foot in the door and be given a chance to make an impression. Sorry this became so long, but just wanted to paint a clear picture of the situation. Any honest advise would really help. Thanks a lot.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotentialGreek4 View Post
I ask that, specifically, only because I feel like those are the houses in which I would fit in best (I don't really see myself being a Delta Psi, ya know?). I also don't know anyone at Ole Miss, much less any greeks.
You don't know anyone at Ole Miss or any of the Greeks there, but you already know you won't fit in with one of the groups? Good luck.

ETA: And, please clear up a fact: Here you are saying that you are in South Alabama, but in another thread, talking about going to Ole Miss, you said that you are not out-of-state.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 02-02-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
You don't know anyone at Ole Miss or any of the Greeks there, but you already know you won't fit in with one of the groups? Good luck.

ETA: And, please clear up a fact: Here you are saying that you are in South Alabama, but in another thread, talking about going to Ole Miss, you said that you are not out-of-state.
The other thread he asked about Auburn (which he would have been in-state for if he's from around Mobile). It just got derailed into an Ole Miss conversation it looks like to me.

The summer rush advice for Ole Miss is the same as it would have been for Auburn. And being a sophomore doesn't kill your chances for a good house the way it might for girls. Fraternities don't have numbers capped, so there's not the situation where you'd rather take a 4 year member than a 3 year member, a fraternity can take both. Yes there are way more freshmen pledges than older pledges, but that's at least partly explained by the fact that there are way more freshmen rushees than sophomores rushing compounded by the fact that a lot of the sophomores that rush aren't that good because they are kids who didn't get bids/quit/got balled when they rushed as freshmen. If you're actually a quality rushee being one year older shouldn't limit you to the point where it makes a good house unlikely.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Formal rush at Ole Miss (when official bids are extended and accepted) is held in late September or sometime in October. So you will have the opportunity to meet fraternity members once you are on campus. As such, I would advise that you become as active on campus as you can once you arrive.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:25 PM
PotentialGreek4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerBarrel View Post
The other thread he asked about Auburn (which he would have been in-state for if he's from around Mobile). It just got derailed into an Ole Miss conversation it looks like to me.

The summer rush advice for Ole Miss is the same as it would have been for Auburn. And being a sophomore doesn't kill your chances for a good house the way it might for girls. Fraternities don't have numbers capped, so there's not the situation where you'd rather take a 4 year member than a 3 year member, a fraternity can take both. Yes there are way more freshmen pledges than older pledges, but that's at least partly explained by the fact that there are way more freshmen rushees than sophomores rushing compounded by the fact that a lot of the sophomores that rush aren't that good because they are kids who didn't get bids/quit/got balled when they rushed as freshmen. If you're actually a quality rushee being one year older shouldn't limit you to the point where it makes a good house unlikely.
Thanks for clearing that up for the other guy. My earlier plans for AU changed a while back. And just clearing up the other thing LaneSig said, I didn't mean to sound like a douche bag about wanting to get into a better house. There's a lot of information about individual chapters on the internet, written by people who've been there and I was only going on what I've read there. For example, I wouldn't want to end up in a fraternity being ivestigated for dealing drugs on the side and multiple pending rape cases. You know what I mean. I will still, of course, go through rush and see for myself before I make any major judgements.

Anyway, thanks for the information, CrackerBarrel. That's good to hear and I'll definitely keep all of that in mind.