GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,511
1 members and 2,510 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 04-05-2012, 01:59 AM
GreekChat Member

A Bazillion Questions!

Hi ladies! First I'd like to say that this website has been the single BEST help in approaching Greek life, because just a few weeks ago I had literally no idea where to start. That being said, I just have a few questions about my impending situation.

I know well enough from some sleuthing not to reveal too much, but in the fall I will be at an SEC school, as a dual enrolled transfer. (as in, I'm about to graduate high school, but will be a technical junior. Eek.)

Although I'm hoping they see this as an understandable situation, it's not like I elected not to rush/dropped, lol I'd do it asap!

I know that this status does come with disadvantages, but they do have an upperclassmen quota, and I am typically confident enough to approach things and make the best. And I know with the competition, I'll be needing to!

Okay, so finally to the questions:

I literally have no family friends or anything that I can find that are alumni lol. However, I have talked to a few old local friends who sent along their rec sources from the past. So (while I will contact alumni associations as needed) for these not-quite-acquaintances, should I be asking them to write an information only rec? Or perhaps a friendly invitation to coffee and get to know a little bit for a real one? I just don't want to put any of them off, not sure what's quite the norm

And if it was the latter, to my understanding I should bring a resumee, photo (plural?), and an envelope addressed and stamped to where the rec needs to go. Am I missing anything? Of course a thank you and follow-up after. Also, I think I understand that any other rec's to the same sorority would be a letter of support, should I tell them that if I have another already sent in?

Finally, I know that the sororities will be considering my college GPA, but should I give both that and high school to rec writers? And is it inappropriate to list weighted instead of regular (significant).

Oh, and last but not least. Like many other dual enrollments, I'll be double majoring, and attending the university for a full four years. I want to mention this somewhere in recruitment, but I hope it's not too.. “played out” I guess, as to come off like a tactic.

And any other general advice would be so so so appreciated Thank you!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

you ask them if they would please write a recommendation for you. they will make the decision what type they write.

Let the alumna lead-give her a chance to ask if you would mind a phone interview or meeting at a local coffee shop. If she doesn't make the suggestion herself, you can make the offer.

definitely let the alumnae know that you will be at SEC University for 4 years. It will be good to let your rush hostess know that you will be there for 4 years. An easy way to work it in to the conversation is in response to the question usually asked during the first round of name, hometown, major and school year.

As to your GPA question, that is a good one and one I have not encountered. I will have to defer to someone else.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 04-05-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Hrm, I'm not super sure about this fancy dual-transfer program, but I can speak from my experiences at UCLA, where most incoming students have enough AP credits to technically have "sophomore standing". It got to the point where you just said "first year" or "second year" rather than "freshman" or "sophomore".

I have seen where first years registered for recruitment as sophomores, which put them into the upperclassman quota (note: UCLA includes sophomores in upperclassman quota, many schools only include juniors and seniors there). They should have been registered as freshman, though. I kind of suspect that you're in the same boat. This is your first year at your university, and you have four full years left.

USC (Southern California) had a program that allowed high school seniors to live in the dorms and take classes on campus for a year. I know of two students who participated in this program, and both went on to stay four additional years at their respective university (which wasn't' necessarily USC).

Anyway, I'd talk to your Greek Life office to double-check how you should categorize yourself when going through recruitment. My hunch would be that you should register as a freshman, and mention that you've taking college classes and are in a special program. It's too confusing to register as one thing, and then leave it up to your conversations to clarify it - sometimes that information doesn't get understood completely, or doesn't get conveyed properly to the chapter's leadership.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

As for your rec packet, yes to the transcript, resume, stamped manila envelope and at least one professional photograph. The alumna will appreciate having all of that information at her fingertips when she sits down to write her rec. I agree with FSUZeta that you should let the alums decide how to handle the rec letters. Depending on the school, multiple letters is not out of the norm. Definitely ask them if they know anyone else that might be able to meet with you for another rec. If you do meet with an alum, dress nicely and be on your best behavior. Probably didn't need to be said to you since I get the vibe that you would know how to handle yourself, but I give it for others who may read this later.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-05-2012, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if this is true for all Universities but our University does not use weighted GPA's just the standard one and your right there usually is a big difference. I'm not sure how your school handles that. Some PNM's include a transcript with their recommendations. That might be an option for you if you feel comfortable doing that. As far as what year you are we always look at HS graduation year. There are so many PNM's that go through with dual credits this is the easiest way to figure out what "year" they are.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

And remember that this is a GREAT opportunity to brush up on your conversation skills. These women could be very easy, or they could decide to challenge you a little conversation-wise. If I was writing a rec for a girl like you (seemingly pretty sharp) I'd probably push on her a bit to see how she handles an awkward conversation, a difficult question, etc.

And regarding the recs, the more personal the rec, the better. You have to do what you have to do to get the recs for every chapter, but if you can meet as many women as possible, at least by phone, you're going to be better off.

I also would suggest talking with the Greek Life office (now is good - they're still in school but probably between big Greek things going on campus) for clarification on standing, gpa, etc. Save yourself the heartache and fill it out correctly, but my guess is you should be calling yourself a freshman. Weighted GPA's are beyond my pay grade, but I'd probably put 4.25/5.0 or 4.0/4.0. That way you don't have to do the math and appear to have fudged if/when they get their hands on the actual numbers.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

The OP could be in a "college academy" program. They have one in our Public School district. In the case of the one here - starting Jr year they stop taking classes at the HS & are at the local community college campus only. They "graduate" with their class but they also have an AA or AS. Most of the students I have known who opt for this program are thinking medical school or law school in the future. Major disadvantage - they do not participate in any HS programs or events, ie: prom, sports, etc.

Or she could just be in a dual enrollment taking classes both HS & college courses, but either way - I would venture to bet all the sororities at all the SEC schools have members who have taken advantage of these programs.

(The dual enrollment kids are usually the ones you read about who graduate from HS with a 6.8 gpa. Some school districts give even higher weight to dual enrollment then AP courses.)
Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZsis&mom View Post
The OP could be in a "college academy" program. They have one in our Public School district. In the case of the one here - starting Jr year they stop taking classes at the HS & are at the local community college campus only. They "graduate" with their class but they also have an AA or AS. Most of the students I have known who opt for this program are thinking medical school or law school in the future. Major disadvantage - they do not participate in any HS programs or events, ie: prom, sports, etc.
Programs like the Alabama School of Math and Science or Texas Academy of Math and Science count university classes for both college and high school at the same time. TAMS students get an associates degree when they graduate high school. (I don't think they have a prom at TAMS but ASMS does.)

OP - if you are going into an engineering major or double major, it will very likely still take you four years anyway, just be sure to let your hostesses know. Also PLEASE list your college GPA too - they may not use it at all during recruitment, but they may need it to fill out the paperwork to get you initiated.

(P.S. - if you do start with that many credits - I recommend trying to get into some kind of honors program. )
Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with what everyone has said. Here in my corner of SEC country it is very common for students to be dually enrolled or have tons of AP credit. My daughter was one of those. When she went through recruitment at her SEC school she listed herself as a freshman even though she had tons of credits already. She is a sophomore now, but has senior credit status. She does not want to graduate early, but plans to use those "extra semesters" for study abroad, internships, etc. She is planning to go to Grad school. Be sure to check with Greek Life sooner rather than later , as most schools get out in early May. Good luck to you.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Also at some schools to rush you can't be dual enrolled. You can be a first year college student and have sophomore or junior credits though.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you ladies, that was all very helpful! I especially like what a few of you have mentioned about letting them lead the way, I suppose that's the best idea to not push any to write more than they feel comfortable, but give the option.

For clarification, the way my path has worked out is that I'll be classified as a full-fledged junior, with an A.A. already completed before fall. It's not too out of the ordinary, so I guess we'll just see when the paperwork comes out how to mark it. (I'm mostly okay with this because of the new quota and having a much higher college GPA!)

I found a new alumni who I actually know today, which was super exciting! But she has apparently not written any rec's before. (shocking because she's my high school teacher!)

I told her what I would bring in to her once I have it all gathered, and I get the vibe that she doesn't know where to get any forms or whatnot, any suggestions on what to tell her?

And lastly, is it uncommon/unwise to approach these things with friends? I have a few going to my school and a nearby one who are planning on rushing (2 or 3) who knew nothing about rush either! It's a fairly close community, would it be bizarre if we contacted the same women, or asked to meet them together?

I'm not terribly uncomfortable braving it alone but we're all searching high and low to cover all the sororities (10+ with most in common) so do you think it'd be less of an inconvenience to the writers if we all met with them simultaneously? I get the feeling there aren't a lot of girls going after letters from my town, oddly.

I don't want to bombard the alumni with too much information at once, but I was thinking maybe it would give it a relaxed more natural kind of setting if they choose to write personal ones, and all of our rec packets could keep the writer organized afterwards. Am I being crazy here haha, how would you feel if PNM's approached you with this?

Thanks again!

Last edited by OhIjustdontknow; 04-05-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIjustdontknow View Post
I told her what I would bring in to her once I have it all gathered, and I get the vibe that she doesn't know where to get any forms or whatnot, any suggestions on what to tell her?
Tell her that she should be able to find the recommendation form on her sorority's national website. If she can't find it on her own, or if it requires a member number that she doesn't have/forgot, she can call the headquarters and they can help her out.

If you don't actually live in SEC country, it's not unusual for her to not have written a rec before.

As far as your friends...I would not meet with any of the potential rec writers simultaneously. To be blunt, there may be some of you that a sorority alum does want to recommend, and some she doesn't, for whatever reason. To give off the vibe that you are all "in this together" would be extremely awkward, and put her on the spot.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIjustdontknow View Post
Thank you ladies, that was all very helpful! I especially like what a few of you have mentioned about letting them lead the way, I suppose that's the best idea to not push any to write more than they feel comfortable, but give the option.

For clarification, the way my path has worked out is that I'll be classified as a full-fledged junior, with an A.A. already completed before fall. It's not too out of the ordinary, so I guess we'll just see when the paperwork comes out how to mark it. (I'm mostly okay with this because of the new quota and having a much higher college GPA!)

I found a new alumni who I actually know today, which was super exciting! But she has apparently not written any rec's before. (shocking because she's my high school teacher!)

And lastly, is it uncommon/unwise to approach these things with friends? I have a few going to my school and a nearby one who are planning on rushing (2 or 3) who knew nothing about rush either! It's a fairly close community, would it be bizarre if we contacted the same women, or asked to meet them together?

I'm not terribly uncomfortable braving it alone but we're all searching high and low to cover all the sororities (10+ with most in common) so do you think it'd be less of an inconvenience to the writers if we all met with them simultaneously? I get the feeling there aren't a lot of girls going after letters from my town, oddly.

I don't want to bombard the alumni with too much information at once, but I was thinking maybe it would give it a relaxed more natural kind of setting if they choose to write personal ones, and all of our rec packets could keep the writer organized afterwards. Am I being crazy here haha, how would you feel if PNM's approached you with this?

Thanks again!
No-do not give the alumnae you ask for recs. options. They will know their options. You simply should ask if they would consider writing you a recommendation. They will make their decision privately.You are not in the driver's seat-they are. That is why I said they will decide what type of recommendation they want to write for you. You could phrase your request something like this: "Hello Ms. Alumna. My name is Patty PNM. I will be attending SEC University in the fall and will participate in recruitment. Would you consider writing a recommendation to your sorority for me?"

Be sure to ask your HS teacher if she knows of any other HS teachers who are alumnae or if she knows any other alumnae outside school.

I admire your enthusiasm, but you need to chill a bit and you need to do some research here on Greekchat. There are tons of great threads on GC that cover many of the questions you have now, and will have as your recruitment draws closer.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 04-06-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

FSUZeta- Oh no, that's what I was meaning to say, to not push them to give a personal one. Sorry if I'm coming off a little too strong, I just want to be prepared and have definitely been researching around here a bit I just wanted to double check from some odd circumstances/ideas.

33Girl- That's definitely another aspect I hadn't thought about! Maybe it's best if I go it alone. It is an SEC school...I think you'd understand if I told you which, but I'll leave it at that I suppose.

Thank y'all so much though!
Old 04-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

OK-that is good. I truly do admire your enthusiasm and hope that everything works out for you. You are wise to be getting all your ducks in a row now. If you live near a city that has an Alumnae Panhellenic that will hold a recruitment workshop, you might contact them and ask if you could attend. If your college is holding a Greek Weekend, try to attend. Continue to read pertinent threads here on Greekchat and good luck!