GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,075
3 members and 2,072 guests
ageldarkz5086, babobygooglet93, LaneSig

Old 09-16-2014, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
A Rainbow Recruitment!

So, I've never been able to write a story here, as I didn't go through formal myself. However, I have a former student who is currently going through recruitment at a school with 7 sororities participating in formal recruitment. She's been kind enough to share impressions and her story. Yes, this is a story at my alma mater, but I'd rather not announce it right now as recruitment is still happening. (yes, I have said it before in other posts if you are that inclined to search, or you can PM me and ask.)

A quick breakdown of the chapters:

RED - A housed sorority with a large and nice house, though a bit removed from campus and most other greek houses. Sisters in this chapter traditionally have a long live in requirement, as the house is so large. I believe all rooms in the house are singles.

ORANGE - This is a housed sorority that has a house right on fraternity row that reminds me of the house in a TV show from my childhood. I never met a single sister of this house when I was a student here, but I was always interested in them and would have liked to get to know them more.

YELLOW - This sorority used to have a house on campus, but from what I've heard has lost it over the last few years due to low numbers. I don't know if another greek group has taken over the house. When I was a student, this house was a solid and strong sisterhood, so I am confused to hear about the recent struggles. I'd really like to see this chapter succeed.

GREEN - This sorority has never been housed at this school as far as I am aware. Several older members have lived in the same house right off campus together for at least the last 15 years, making it an unofficial house. The chapter has a floor of a dorm and as far as I know has never been interested in having a house. This is a traditionally strong chapter at this school

BLUE - This sorority has a traditional beautiful colonial. This is a longstanding top chapter at this school. These sisters are and have been very visible on campus. House is off campus, though close to one of the dorm areas on campus.

INDIGO - This house is also on fraternity row, and is a very unique physical house. This chapter has a huge amount of local alumnae support. I really like that this chapter has continued to stay so strong for so long.

VIOLET - My former student is an in house legacy to this house. This was a smaller chapter, which has made strides in the last decade or so and is now a strong chapter on campus. Their house is a little ways off campus, but not super far from anything.

More to come when I get updates

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-16-2014, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Excited to get updates!
Old 09-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck to your former student.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

So my girl is not doing a great job of using words and descriptions.....

Round 1:
RED - Student liked this group, but said it was TOO FAR AWAY
ORANGE - These girls were awkward said student, she didn't feel comfortable
YELLOW -
These girls were nice, but student couldn't see herself with this group
GREEN - Student really liked these girls, but was bummed they didn't have a house
BLUE - Student said this group was overwhelming. She said she couldn't have a conversation because the bumping was way too fast to keep up with what was going on.
INDIGO - Student said these girls were really nice, but she didn't see herself here.
VIOLET - Student liked this house. She was tired when she got here, but tried not to let it show.

It sounds like she is a cranky pants, but really she told me she had a fabulous time and met tons of great people. She ranked:

Top: (in no particular order)
RED
ORANGE
GREEN
BLUE
VIOLET

I don't know what order Yellow and Indigo were in....

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 09-17-2014, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Round 2:

Student was super psyched to get back her top 5 houses! Yay, student!

Being the good student she is, Student had to miss her parties at ORANGE and GREEN to attend class.

She went to VIOLET first. She loved their skit. She is really feeling this house, and not just because it's her sister's house.

Second she went to RED. Student thinks these girls are great. It makes her sad that their house is so far away. She really connected with this group.

Last, student went to BLUE. Student said that these girls were very friendly, but she didn't get the impression that the sisterhood was as close as the other groups she attended today.

Student needed to choose the 4 houses she'd like to return to for round 3. Not going to ORANGE and GREEN made it a difficult ranking. In the end, she ranked ORANGE last, even though she seems more concerned about the face that GREEN doesn't have a house.

Student said she expects to get dropped by both of the groups that she had to miss today, but she would love to go back to all the sororities. Her favorites are RED and VIOLET.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Hooray for student! Thanks for sharing her story with us!
Old 09-17-2014, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Hope it doesn't hurt her (at Orange & Green) that she had to miss for class.

That happens at UCLA and Panhellenic has those students split parties (1/2 at 1 house, 1/2 the time at the 2nd house) in order to give both an opportunity to "see & be seen", even if it is for a shorter amount of time.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Round 3:

Student is clearly a superstar (and not just in the eyes of this proud teacher), because she got invited back to RED, GREEN, BLUE, and VIOLET.

Student has been so busy that I've been getting one or two sentence updates. I didn't get much info on round 3. She's still having a great time and loves meeting so many new friends.

Today's favorites were GREEN and VIOLET. She also said she really liked RED and all the women there, but says something just doesn't feel right there, but she can't put her finger on it. She'd be happy to return to any of these groups. Her message about BLUE was a bit confusing. She said "
just looked at the house the whole time." I don't know if this means the members did, or a house tour took forever or what. She didn't say anything else.

Student wants to return to GREEN and VIOLET she said. However, I thought that PNMs could attend up to 3 preference parties, so I'm a little confused. I'll clarify if she does.

Tonight is pref, wish Student luck in finding her home!

Old 09-18-2014, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Maybe she only has 2 favorites, even though she can attend up to 3 for pref? Although 3 prefs, with only 7 groups, doesn't seem very narrowed down.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Agreed, when I was a student I think it went 8, 6, 4, 2 for pref. I was told this year it is 7, 5, 4, 3 which seems outright silly. I happen to just have been appointed to advise new member education at this school, so I'll be there for bid day, and will hopefully get more clarity about recruitment happenings

Old 09-18-2014, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Seems like there would be even more room for "disappointment drama" if a PNM matched with #3 -- I don't think too many PNMs would be equally thrilled about their top 3 out of only 7.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay. Student finally gave me more than a 2 sentence update. They only go to 2 houses for pref. Tonight is an off night. They have pref tomorrow, but already found out where they will be attending.

Super Student got her top 2 choices. GREEN and VIOLET!

Apparently Student might be a genuine special snowflake, as she got all her top choices all week. Mind you, this isn't a competitive recruitment, but she's had an amazing run. I can't wait to find out where she finds a home on Saturday!

Anyone pulling for one group over the other?

Old 09-18-2014, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm rooting for Violet because she's an in-house legacy, and I know how special those are! When is Bid Day?
Old 09-18-2014, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref is tomorrow. Bid Day is Saturday at 7 I think

Old 09-18-2014, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I am rooting for violet. :-D