GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,386
0 members and 1,386 guests
No Members online

Old 08-25-2017, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Large amount of unexpected cuts

D was cut from 9 of her 13 call back houses for round 3. I know cuts are to be expected and that it isn't unusual for some surprise cuts. However, I found it a bit shocking that round 3 cuts would be so hard. Several of these houses she felt a good connection with. She wasn't expecting a full load or even an invite back to all her favorites. But since there was one more round before pref night I was surprised that 9 houses cut her. She is a legacy and really loved that house. I'm not sure if word got out about her legacy status. Is this unusual? What are the thoughts on if that was possibly the reason she may have gotten cut from so many?
Old 08-25-2017, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

In my experience it is better to only let the legacy chapter know of the legacy as other chapters might not be willing to "waste" an invitation on another chapter's legacy, especially if the legacy chapter is a strong, heavily desired chapter.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
In my experience it is better to only let the legacy chapter know of the legacy as other chapters might not be willing to "waste" an invitation on another chapter's legacy, especially if the legacy chapter is a strong, heavily desired chapter.
Don't all the houses know of a legacy if it's on the registration form at said school, when it asks about it? Or if it is on a PNM's resume which was submitted along with Recs? Or are you suggesting that a legacy to ABC use a different resume when they request a rec for a house other than ABC? How else could a PNM encourage other houses to keep inviting her back despite legacy status elsewhere?

I"m aware that all schools and sororities handle things differently, but is there any general advice to share with those not going through as of yet?
Old 08-25-2017, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

It is if the PNM lists it. Nowadays I advise girls not to list their legacy( leave it blank)and only inform the legacy sorority of their status.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks - that seems to make sense. My own may have not thought on that so hard, since she's a legacy to the house and not at that school. The legacy chapter is particularly strong though. Others may have felt not worth taking a risk since she may be drawn in there. Of course there is no guarantee she'll get to pref let alone be high enough. She's happy she got another favorite remaining, although she has another which is 'awkward'. She also went from 13 to 3, after the first round. Now waiting to see what she has next. I'll be glad when this is over.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

As a membership adviser, I am seeing more legacies not list their legacy ties on applications but have legacy introduction forms and many recommendations sent to the chapter that indicate that the PNM is a legacy.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

That is the wise way to deal with it Ladybug12. With RFM holding chapters to lower numbers of invitations, they must be prudent in the invitations they extend to PNMs.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

My niece rushed at a medium-sized university with 5 sororities. Normally, she would've had great returns but she was a legacy to 1 group--that chapter as well--and she was only asked back to 2 groups for the rest of recruitment. And Panhellenic released pictures of the PNMs every day and there she was on the second day, huddled in her chair and waiting for her party.

Yes, she pledged her legacy group but I bet she would've liked another shot at meeting girls from the 3 that cut her immediately.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
My niece rushed at a medium-sized university with 5 sororities. Normally, she would've had great returns but she was a legacy to 1 group--that chapter as well--and she was only asked back to 2 groups for the rest of recruitment. And Panhellenic released pictures of the PNMs every day and there she was on the second day, huddled in her chair and waiting for her party.

Yes, she pledged her legacy group but I bet she would've liked another shot at meeting girls from the 3 that cut her immediately.
I know you mean well, but you actually don't know whether your niece would have had better returns if she were not a legacy or if other chapters didn't know of her legacy status.

That said, I also advocate only telling the legacy house of you status and leaving it off the Panhellenic registration.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenD View Post
I know you mean well, but you actually don't know whether your niece would have had better returns if she were not a legacy or if other chapters didn't know of her legacy status.

That said, I also advocate only telling the legacy house of you status and leaving it off the Panhellenic registration.
Oh, they knew. She was an in-house legacy and her sister, a year older, was a well-known dance team member on campus plus her cousin (my daughter) was also in the chapter.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh, they knew. She was an in-house legacy and her sister, a year older, was a well-known dance team member on campus plus her cousin (my daughter) was also in the chapter.
Wait, I'm confused. I feel like I read QueenD's comment differently.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-26-2017, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenD View Post
ASTAlum, it seems that she thought that the other chapters didn't know she was an in-house legacy to a chapter. Knowing this campus (5 sororities, moderate Greek presence) I--and many other local Greeks who knew her--were positive she would've had a fuller experience had they not known. As a matter of fact, her sister and cousin were the main focus of conversation in every house she walked into.

This girl had all that they wanted in a PNM--top grades and activities, attractiveness, and a very good rep. This campus is not UGa where 95% of the PNMs have it all.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
ASTAlum, it seems that she thought that the other chapters didn't know she was an in-house legacy to a chapter. Knowing this campus (5 sororities, moderate Greek presence) I--and many other local Greeks who knew her--were positive she would've had a fuller experience had they not known. As a matter of fact, her sister and cousin were the main focus of conversation in every house she walked into.

This girl had all that they wanted in a PNM--top grades and activities, attractiveness, and a very good rep. This campus is not UGa where 95% of the PNMs have it all.
This is the exact opposite of what I meant. I meant that you have no idea whether this young woman's legacy status has impacted her invitations. You aren't sitting in their membership selection sessions. It might make you and your niece feel better to tell yourselves she'd have more houses still on her list if it wasn't know she is a legacy, but ultimately you don't know if this is the case.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Luvmypnm,

I am sorry that your daughter has had a tough recruitment. We hurt as much as our children when they are sad and disappointed. I hope she will see the process out. Her remaining chapter might rise, or even surpass her expectations during prefs. Should she decide not to pledge,as long as she doesn't sign the MRABA( bid card), she would be eligible for any COB opportunities that arise throughout the year. If there are no COB opportunities, she could rush next year. A year getting to know sorority members in clubs and organizations she will join this year might help pave the way for a smoother sophomore recruitment.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Luvmypnm,

I am sorry that your daughter has had a tough recruitment. We hurt as much as our children when they are sad and disappointed. I hope she will see the process out. Her remaining chapter might rise, or even surpass her expectations during prefs. Should she decide not to pledge,as long as she doesn't sign the MRABA( bid card), she would be eligible for any COB opportunities that arise throughout the year. If there are no COB opportunities, she could rush next year. A year getting to know sorority members in clubs and organizations she will join this year might help pave the way for a smoother sophomore recruitment.
Thanks FSUZeta - you were reading my mind. I spent a fair amount of time with her on the phone last night, with her sister texting her support as well. I was going to ask about the COB because to me, it seems a reasonable option vs. just dropping with 1 remaining house. There are 10 other groups at this school which she had very little opportunity to connect with. I'm confident she's going to continue at least today, then she should discuss the option openly with her recruitment advisor.

One other question I have is about snap bids -- would she be eligible even if she didn't continue through pref? Or are girls who don't match from pref given priority for those? It's not clear to me, other than the handbook which states you mush have gone to at least the first day of recruitment. Any insight there?

Thanks again -- you all are so amazing.