GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,486
1 members and 2,485 guests
No Members online

Old 12-13-2007, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Civil Rights Icon (Andrew Young) Calls Obama Too Young

Go to Google News

Civil Rights Icon Calls Obama Too Young

By ERRIN HAINES – 4 days ago
ATLANTA (AP) — Civil rights icon Andrew Young says Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama is too young and lacks the support network to ascend to the White House.
In an interview posted online, Young also quipped that Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton has her husband behind her, and that "Bill is every bit as black as Barack."
"He's probably gone with more black women than Barack," Young said of former President Clinton, drawing laughter from a live audience. Young, 75, was quick to follow his comment on Bill Clinton with the disclaimer, "I'm clowning."
Young, a former United Nations ambassador and lieutenant of Martin Luther King Jr., made the comments at an appearance at "Newsmakers Live," an urban media forum that interviews prominent Atlanta personalities and political figures.
Excerpts of the interview were posted on Newsmakers Journal, the Newsmakers' Web site, though the date of the appearance was not included with the video posting. Young had been scheduled to appear on "Newsmakers Live" on Sept. 5, according to a press release.
Repeated efforts by The Associated Press to reach Young were unsuccessful. Obama campaign officials declined Saturday to comment on Young's remarks.
Young's comments were prompted by a member of the audience who inquired about his opinion on Obama's candidacy.
"I want Barack Obama to be president," Young said, pausing for effect, "in 2016."
"It's not a matter of being inexperienced. It's a matter of being young," Young said. "There's a certain level of maturity ... you've got to learn to take a certain amount of (expletive)."
Young went on to say that Obama needs a protective network that he currently lacks — a quality that could hurt him if he were to be elected. He said Hillary Clinton already has that kind of network, including her husband to back her up.
"There are more black people that Bill and Hillary lean on," Young said. "You cannot be president alone. ... To put a brother in there by himself is to set him up for crucifixion. His time will come and the world will be ready for a visionary leadership."
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jFhzzYf9zFfbMEdA_wiFNtMUGeugD8TDIJD03

Thoughts????
Old 12-13-2007, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen1ne View Post

Go to Google News

Civil Rights Icon Calls Obama Too Young

By ERRIN HAINES – 4 days ago
ATLANTA (AP) — lacks the support network to ascend to the White House.

Thoughts????
This has always been my sentiment. I just feel he will be better prepared after five more years in the Senate. I do not agree with the age assessment, though.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 12-13-2007, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGod01 Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGod01
Although I rarely disclose my political affiliation(s), Obama is not too young for the job. I honestly believe that his youth will benefit our country more than hurt it. He has intelligent advisors and strong networks or else he wouldn't be in his present position.

I'm a young person (relatively), but I'm doing fine during the current administration (I at least feel blessed for where I'm at). I don't think that 4 years of Obama will really set me back that much...
Old 12-13-2007, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I met Andrew Young once when I was on the plane... They made him sit in coach until they realized who he was and gave him a first class seat.

Anyhow, Obama is NOT too young to do this job. He is smart enough to make it happen. Folks are running scared when Oprah gave her support and so the powers that be are trying to grasp at jobs.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 12-13-2007, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I would be embarassed to say someone has dated more black women than another . . . a man of his. . . , well hell, we can all be fools at some point.

I'm supporting Hilllary but would never say anything against Obama.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
I would be embarassed to say someone has dated more black women than another . . . a man of his. . . , well hell, we can all be fools at some point.
I guess in the end everyone needs a pass for some of the things we say, but that wasn't cool Brother Young. I believe that the # years spent in a given position doesn't always mean you would be a better fit to run the U.S. Some people sit in positions for years and still don't know how to do S#*T. It kinda goes along with that age doesn't equal wisdom statement.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post

I'm supporting Hilllary but would never say anything against Obama.
Hillary's people have gotten out of control in the negative campaign against Obama. Its coming back to bite her and I don't think that Bill can mitigate the damages. Given the controversy and subsequent resignations of key members of Hillary's campaign staff, I believe that Obama is having more success with surrounding himself with appropriate advisors.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 06pilot
I live in Atlanta and am in the same chapter as Andy Young (although he doesnt come to too many meetings) I have to say that I am shocked by his statements, but I still respect him.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06pilot View Post
I live in Atlanta and am in the same chapter as Andy Young (although he doesnt come to too many meetings) I have to say that I am shocked by his statements, but I still respect him.
Andrew Young is getting older and his filters have become loosened. He attended out convention in Atlanta (his wife is a soror was a conference co-cordinator and member of the national committee I chaired.) He spoke at our public meeting and made some eye-opening statements like referring to a woman's breast as titties. He also wore a suit and gym shoes.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Andrew Young is getting older and his filters have become loosened. He attended out convention in Atlanta (his wife is a soror was a conference co-cordinator and member of the national committee I chaired.) He spoke at our public meeting and made some eye-opening statements like referring to a woman's breast as titties. He also wore a suit and gym shoes.
Its the Cosby factor. As you get older, you care less about what people think and are more inclined to speak your mind. My mother in law is like this. She has been there and done that...
Old 12-18-2007, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoyred View Post
Its the Cosby factor. As you get older, you care less about what people think and are more inclined to speak your mind. My mother in law is like this. She has been there and done that...
Exactly.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
WHOA!
Old 12-25-2007, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

OBAMA

: if i was to say the young black moor has more on the ball then all the rest and he is clean smart and true and got his sh-t togetter
Old 12-31-2007, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Civil Rights Icon - Who's Icon?

As I do hold a level of respect for the Honorable Brother Andrew Young, he DOES NOT SPEAK FOR ALL PEOPLE, NOR REPRESENT ALL PEOPLE IN OUR AFRICAN/MUTI-CULTURAL COMMUNITY.

We as a dis-infranchised African Community, are HERE AND NOW, and as such have an opportunity to change how the "Winds of Time" shall blow.

Senator Barack Obama has enough experience to not only lead the American Nation, but in addition to that, bring a calm healing to the WAR-RIDDLED Middle East. Thus, bringing home hundreds of thousand men and women in our armed forces - safely and in one piece.

Have any of you an idea of what terror and destruction could await our Nation if we once again make a mistake (or allow ourselves to be fooled) in choosing who leads our Country and has influence in the Greater World that we live in? I think not!

Young (Literally and Figuratively) is not the issue here - the issue here is "Is it the right time?" My answer to that is "If not now, then when?".

Chose and Chose Right!!! "The Fight" has never ended...

Fraternally Yours,

Brother Arturo D. Hill IV

Last edited by KingTuro1906; 12-31-2007 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

KING: the issue here is "Is it the right time?" My answer to that is
that it is about Time a MOOR can be PRESIDENT