GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,162
3 members and 2,159 guests
No Members online

Old 06-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Yes. It takes a long time to get a PhD, but is frequently easier to get into a program....
LOL. Why did you let Titchou turn this into a Ph.D. versus M.D. discussion. Even if it was "frequently easier" to get into a program across disciplines, the true test is completing the program. Hundreds (thousands?) of people get into doctoral programs around the world each year, however they got there, and only a percentage of them will ever complete the doctoral programs.

It is just like what you all are telling Titchou about medical school.

Quote:
...and much less lucrative which leads to sour grapes for SOME.
I can see that. Until they realize that there are many sleep deprived medical doctors who are miserable having to bust their behinds for every bit of that lucrativeness.

Within disciplines and across disciplines, a Ph.D. has a range of salaries depending on what people want to do with it. People who care about making a ton of money will choose their doctoral training and career accordingly. Since this is a Ph.D. versus M.D. discussion.

Quote:
I think he/she deserves it! (Dr.Phil I use he in the neutral sense.)
No such thing as gender neutral.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-02-2012, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
LOL. Why did you let Titchou turn this into a Ph.D. versus M.D. discussion. Even if it was "frequently easier" to get into a program across disciplines, the true test is completing the program. Hundreds (thousands?) of people get into doctoral programs around the world each year, however they got there, and only a percentage of them will ever complete the doctoral programs.

It is just like what you all are telling Titchou about medical school.

I can see that. Until they realize that there are many sleep deprived medical doctors who are miserable having to bust their behinds for every bit of that lucrativeness.

Within disciplines and across disciplines, a Ph.D. has a range of salaries depending on what people want to do with it. People who care about making a ton of money will choose their doctoral training and career accordingly. Since this is a Ph.D. versus M.D. discussion.

No such thing as gender neutral.
I knew that would bother you.

I totally agree with you, but I'm talking about the true attitudes of SOME PhD professors at medical schools. They make much less than their charges will some day. The vast majority are dedicated professionals who love teaching the next generation of physicians, but I do know ones who resent physicians for their very existence. Titchou's "husband" sounds like one of those. It's not a MD vs PhD thing except in the mind of the those people who can't accept that there is a place for all of us in this world.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-02-2012, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post
What happened to the nice, supportive medical school thread?
I'm going back to that thread:

1. How did you guys manage to not concentrate on your Step 1 Results for 6 weeks? I literally keep dreaming about the questions I got wrong and it's driving me insane.....

2. Any tips for prepping for third year? I'm really excited to get out in actual clinical education but I know it requires a LOT more independent study.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post

1. How did you guys manage to not concentrate on your Step 1 Results for 6 weeks? I literally keep dreaming about the questions I got wrong and it's driving me insane.....

2. Any tips for prepping for third year? I'm really excited to get out in actual clinical education but I know it requires a LOT more independent study.
I was in a wedding and went to Disney World right after taking Step I (it was the first year it was computerized so we had to wait until August for our results no matter when we took it ).

Have a good summer. That's all the prep you need for third year because when you get back you'll be at the hospital ALL THE TIME! My husband says, "You never thought 8am would be a late day." Get ready to get up EARLY. I loved it, but it was overwhelming for some. There are lots of good clinically oriented books with names I can't remember but the have "pearls" and "pocket" in them. We swore by Mosby's Practical Guide to the Care of the Medical Patient. It is a pocket book that is wire bound and very practical with how to do procedures, how to tell a patient's family they died. Samford's Guide (antibiotic coverage) and a Pharmacopia can be added to your phone nowadays. The Recall series is good. "Surgical Recall" saved my life when I was being pimped more than once...and I matched in surgery and did two years before switching to Radiology. Harriet Lane Manuel for Peds is good...I never bought one, though. I just borrowed from my intern when I needed it. Peds was lame. . The rest you can just wing it as you go. Have fun!

AOII

Last edited by AOII Angel; 06-02-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

1) By taking Step 1 on June 24, and starting third year about 2 weeks later. No time to dwell on it!!

2a) Start getting used to waking up earlier.

2b) Figure out which study methods work for you and stick with it. I preferred Case Files and review books (like Blueprints), other people swore by UWorld questions. If you're learning the material don't let others make your methods feel inadequate.

2c) Never throw a classmate under the bus. It's not a good look.
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewasher418 View Post
1) By taking Step 1 on June 24, and starting third year about 2 weeks later. No time to dwell on it!!

2a) Start getting used to waking up earlier.

2b) Figure out which study methods work for you and stick with it. I preferred Case Files and review books (like Blueprints), other people swore by UWorld questions. If you're learning the material don't let others make your methods feel inadequate.

AMEN

AOII

Old 06-02-2012, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

OH MY! Why are results taking six weeks now? I thought they typically did a release every third Wednesday. That's a long time to wait!

I spent my three weeks volunteering at a camp, then I went to Chicago and the Outer Banks. In fact, I was lounging on the beach in Corolla, NC when my score came in and had to run back to our house because I couldn't get a good enough signal on the beach to download them.

As for prepping for third year..... seriously, enjoy the time off. You will go from having all the time in the world to working crazy long hours (depending on the clerkship). You can study beforehand if you want, but don't go crazy. My favorite books this year have been all of the Case Files, Step Up to Medicine, Blueprints for OB/Gyn, First Aid for Peds, First Aid for Psych, Surgical Recall, and NMS Surgery. Also, find some source for questions (I prefer UWorld over Pretest). DON'T fall behind in your studying! Cramming for shelf exams sucks!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Have a good summer. That's all the prep you need for third year because when you get back you'll be at the hospital ALL THE TIME! My husband says, "You never thought 8am would be a late day." Get ready to get up EARLY. I loved it, but it was overwhelming for some. There are lots of good clinically oriented books with names I can't remember but the have "pearls" and "pocket" in them. We swore by Mosby's Practical Guide to the Care of the Medical Patient. It is a pocket book that is wire bound and very practical with how to do procedures, how to tell a patient's family they died. Samford's Guide (antibiotic coverage) and a Pharmacopia can be added to your phone nowadays. The Recall series is good. "Surgical Recall" saved my life when I was being pimped more than once...and I matched in surgery and did two years before switching to Radiology. Harriet Lane Manuel for Peds is good...I never bought one, though. I just borrowed from my intern when I needed it. Peds was lame. . The rest you can just wing it as you go. Have fun!
I'm excited for Peds! Thanks for all the advice.

Quote:
Does UWorld do questions for the shelf exams? Or just a Step II subscription?

Quote:
THANK YOU. I hate, hate, hate people who do that.

Quote:
OH MY! Why are results taking six weeks now? I thought they typically did a release every third Wednesday. That's a long time to wait!
That might be me being gullible. It was what I heard from a classmate.

Quote:
As for prepping for third year..... seriously, enjoy the time off. You will go from having all the time in the world to working crazy long hours (depending on the clerkship). You can study beforehand if you want, but don't go crazy. My favorite books this year have been all of the Case Files, Step Up to Medicine, Blueprints for OB/Gyn, First Aid for Peds, First Aid for Psych, Surgical Recall, and NMS Surgery. Also, find some source for questions (I prefer UWorld over Pretest). DON'T fall behind in your studying! Cramming for shelf exams sucks!
I heard Step Up is golden for Step II. What did you think?

Thanks for all the advice!

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Does UWorld do questions for the shelf exams? Or just a Step II subscription?
I believe it was just the step 2 question bank. Some say that leads to a better score on Step 2 because you end up going through the questions multiple times.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

IMHO, step II is cake.

AOII

Old 06-09-2012, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
IMHO, step II is cake.
You know the saying about what is required to be prepared for each Step..

Step 1- 2 months
Step 2- 2 weeks
Step 3- #2 pencil

However I do acknowledge that some people don't do as well as they'd like on Step 1 and then have to put in a bit more preparation for Step 2 in order to improve their score.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You know the saying about what is required to be prepared for each Step..

Step 1- 2 months
Step 2- 2 weeks
Step 3- #2 pencil

However I do acknowledge that some people don't do as well as they'd like on Step 1 and then have to put in a bit more preparation for Step 2 in order to improve their score.
Exactly!
Then there are some people who are just more clinically adept and naturally do well on Step 2 and 3 without any effort. I know plenty of people who were high scorers on Step 1 who bombed Step 2 because it's not basic science-y. They are the same people who dropped significantly in class standing between second and third year.

AOII

Old 07-25-2012, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I got my score back!!!! It took forever because there was some issue and they released like three months of scores at once.... oh thank goodness!

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I got my score back!!!! It took forever because there was some issue and they released like three months of scores at once.... oh thank goodness!
Congrats!! I imagine you've started MS3 year by now, how's it going?