GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,184
5 members and 2,179 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 08-12-2003, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

What could be going on in my house?

For the longest, I have been having extreme fatigue/drowsiness off and on. It's worst during the summer and morning and early afternoon at home. My family just accused me of being lazy or being depressed. Two springs ago I also developed chronic sinusitis, that's also worse during the spring and summer. It's a debilitating fatigue too, often times even a lot of caffeine or exercise won't make me snap out of it.

Within the last few months my mom has been complaining of fatigue/drowsiness and headache which is worse in the morning too.

Now, everyone in my house is complaining about these symptoms.

We now ASSume that something in this house is making us feel bad.

I heard this is a common thing, but I heard it can be caused by MANY things. We don't know where to start. We're not using the heater, so we don't think it is carbon monoxide poising. We do a lot of dusting, so I don't think it is that, HOWEVER we do have a very old vacuum cleaner. I heard old vacuum cleaners stir up a lot of dust.

Has this ever happened in your household? Did you ever figure out what it was? And how did you find out?

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 08-12-2003 at 05:07 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2003, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

First, I would trying putting in a carbon monoxide detector in your house, those symptoms (fatigue, headache) sound like it might be the culrpit, it's a must for any place you live anyway.

Otherwise, look to what has been introduced to the air, inside or outside. If your house has an attic, make sure you don't have a bat infestation. The ammonia from their droppings can affect you.

Good luck, I hope you find what's affecting your family.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

You could have a gas leak. Or maybe toxic mold.

When is the last time you changed the a/c filters?
Old 08-12-2003, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I was thinking that it might be toxic mold especially if you have had a leak in your home. Dionysus, I suggest that you go to the doctor and get a physical. Explain your symptoms and maybe he or she can pinpoint the problem. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2003, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
I would call the non-emergency number for your local Poison Control center. They can probably help you out.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Toxic mold jumped to my mind as well. Then, old paint with lead
lack of sun, allergins- all can cause similar problems. You are right, so MANY things for those symptoms...

KappaKappaKitty has an excellent idea since all of you are feeling this way. Cream too is right-get checked out. A blood work up would be a good place to start.

A very simple question-have you changed your diet lately? Fruits and vegetables can have some horrid chemicals on them and if they are coming from Mexico...well, you don't want to know the details.

If you have traveled lately or drank untreated water, there is a little organism in that can really bring you down, but is easily treated.
edited-Have you checked if the pilot light is still on or that you shut off the gas completely???

I went through a similar bout and it WAS the gas heater. Could have killed us all!

Last edited by justamom; 08-12-2003 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Cream, I've been to many doctors, many times within the last year and a half. I had my blood tested, nothing came up except for iron deficiency anemia, once. Some swollen lymph nodes, particularly in the upper neck and underdarms. They did a few CAT scans and said they didn’t have any abnormal characteristics, but the scan did reveal some slight sinusitis once. They cannot find anything wrong with me. They said seeing an allergist should be the next step. I will look into that.

Juniorgrrl, good question!!!

JAM, we don’t have lead paint, I haven’t changed my diet recently, nor have I traveled in a while. We shut off the heat by thermostat, but not in any other way. Yes, the pilot light is still on. Is there a way to keep water warm without it on? I guess that’s something to look into also.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 08-12-2003, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Wow this sure is a mystery. Nothing unusual came up during your physical which is good news. The bad news is you are still sick and don't know what is wrong. I am sure that there is some agency out there (EPA or Health Dept. ?) which can help.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I would definitely get the house checked out for mold. The symptoms are leading me to believe that it is a mold prob, I'd go get it checked out.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you in a Radon area?
Old 08-13-2003, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
I went through a similar bout and it WAS the gas heater. Could have killed us all!
JAM,

Sure glad you checked it in time. That kind of thing scares the heck out of me.

There is something they call "Sick building syndrome." I don't know much about it, but I'll bet a county health department or something like that would have information on what to do or who to call.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I agree with those who suggested mold...your symptoms sound just like the ones in an article I read about a family whose house was overrun with toxic mold. Just because you can't see anything doesn't mean it's not there...I'd get it checked, just to be on the safe side.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

It is either a sign of getting old or You had better have people come in to check!!!!!

There maybe very well something that none know about!

All of the Utilitiees will come for no fee!

Call the County you are in and ask who do I get ahold of! NOW!!!

Pleese!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-13-2003, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I think JAM mentioned, but try checking for Radon. You can get detectors at the hardware store.