GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,285
1 members and 1,284 guests
acg233

Old 09-01-2012, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I want Ginger to be more than just "ok"!!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
We had something like this happen! I was walking through the mall parking lot 10 years ago and this elderly alum we knew leapt out in front of me and started yelling, "Zeta, Zeta, Z-T-A!", complete with hand motions. Then she looked around and said, "Wait, are your twins with you?" Me: "No!" She was sooooooo embarrassed.
That's my kind of sorority alum! I'm already that way now!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

I just love her, we thought she'd flip out with joy when one of our daughters went Zeta years later. She's very fragile now, probably over 85, but she still asks about our Zeta.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I just love her, we thought she'd flip out with joy when one of our daughters went Zeta years later. She's very fragile now, probably over 85, but she still asks about our Zeta.
That is such an awesome story!
Old 09-01-2012, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Skit Day
My daughter received her schedule for skit day and was excited about having the maximum number of parties (8). She likes or loves every house she’s visiting the next two days. She recognizes that this isn’t everyone’s experience. She says a lot of girls are “really stressed about rush” and “freaking out” because they are being dropped by the houses they want. The following houses are part of her schedule:
Lavender – since Nutmeg did not invite her back Lavender is back to being the top favorite.
Thyme – while she has really enjoyed meeting with the women of Thyme she’s concerned there might be a bit too much pressure for grades. She wants to do well in college but doesn’t want the pressure of disappointing an entire organization if it takes a semester to get on her feet.
Sage – she really loves this house.
Rosemary – she’s amazed that she is so drawn to this house.
Marjoram – she had a really good time here.
Saffron – she says she likes them, just not as much as Lavender, Rosemary or Sage.
Ginger – although warned not to listen to “tent talk” she is hearing that this group has had some rough times.
Jasmine – she’s decided that the overriding feel in the house is just too preppy for her.
Later she told me this was a very difficult decision for her. She decided to rank the groups as follows:
1. Rosemary
2. Lavender
3. Marjoram

Others: 4) Sage, 5) Thyme, 6) Saffron, 7) Ginger, 8) Jasmine
We’ve talked about the fact that houses where she has no recommendations have continued to be in her schedule. Maybe the system is more flexible than we believed or maybe registering and submitting a packet to the local Panhellenic Association worked really well; so that recommendations were sent without her knowing about it. For what it’s worth, she knows other PNMs who had absolutely no recommendations (zip, zero, nada) going into recruitment that are still happily attending parties. They haven’t had full schedules but they are still having a great time at the one or two parties that they are attending. Also, she has made two friends through this process that she feels she’ll continue to hang out with regardless of which house they end up in.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Preference Parties
Earlier in the summer I had made arrangements to be in Alabama on Preference day. My thought was that if things went badly I’d be there to commiserate and if they went really well I’d be there for the excitement since Greek Affairs sent emails inviting all families to Bid Day. So this morning I helped her get ready (mostly being there to say positive comments when asked about jewelry or hair, and running out for coffee.) Then I went to check into my hotel and she went off to her Rho Chi group.
My daughter received the maximum number of invitations to preference parties but was surprised at who the invitations were from: Lavender, Sage and Thyme! She wasn’t unhappy that Rosemary and Marjoram had dropped off, just really surprised. The comments below are in the order that she attended the parties, although we only spoke after the final ranking was done and the form turned in:
Thyme – She said this was the first time she felt that she actually had a real conversation with a sorority woman. They talked about the role of women in society today; they talked about how important the philanthropy is that the house supports and how the issue impacts society as a whole. They also talked about how important their education is to each of them. She felt she could easily be part of this organization.
Sage – When the week began her Rho Chi asked all the PNMs to identify what was most important for them to find in a sorority. My daughter listed “family” first. It happened that the emphasis at this party was on family. She felt she had a very good, honest conversation about core values with the woman she spoke with here. She called this the second real conversation she had all week. When they ended the party with a song from her camp tribal hill meetings, she felt it was a sign that she belonged here.
Lavender – she had a wonderful time during the party, she really felt this was a group that always “has your back”, and that Lavender truly supports the uniqueness of each member. The message she came away with was that the group was stronger because each member was allowed to be their own person.
Later that night she relayed to me that she felt Lavender would support her individual journey through her college years and she would love being a part of this group, but she believed that both Sage and Thyme would help her develop into the woman she was meant to be during these four years. Because she loved each group and would be happy to be in any one of the three it was tough but she decided to rank them:
1) Sage
2) Thyme
3) Lavender
Old 09-03-2012, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

So glad you are finishing the story....but please do it now!!!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Great story! More, please!
Old 09-03-2012, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day
I met my daughter at 8 am and was able to hang out with her as she got ready. We walked to the stadium together had a great time talking along the way. I am really glad we had that time together. Since she knew she would be happy with any of the three organizations she was overflowing with excitement. I had asked her to text me so I would know which group to look for and she did, but with the huge number of new members being “funneled out the chute,” I missed seeing her running past. I did get a picture of the letters running by and we met up at her new home away from home. My daughter is a proud new member of…

Alpha Delta Pi!

She has been having a great time the past few weeks; went on retreat, has attended several meetings, had her first swap and put in some clocked study hours (and a lot more besides) and is finding it all good. It's a huge relief to know that my daughter feels at home 1,000 miles away. I knew the academics were going to work out well, given the unique program she is in, and that program was the reason I could let go of my wish that she had chosen my alma mater and been a bent twig. Now my worry that she would feel lost at such a large school, is gone. I just hope I get lots of pictures as the year unfolds.

Last edited by pearlMmom; 09-03-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Tried to make ADPi bigger text and spelling it correctly
Old 09-03-2012, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
congrats on ADPi, which "spice/ herb" was it?

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 09-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations!!!! Best wishes for a happy 4 years at Bama for your daughter!
Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I missed that, didn't I? ADPi = Sage. Getting her first choice was an extra-added bonus.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! Best wishes for your daughter's success at Bama.

I agree that having a group to call home is really a relief for moms when daughter goes OOS (especially as faaar OOS as your daughter!).
Old 09-03-2012, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I love an ADPi ending. Would you mind sharing the other groups were she attended Pref?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

(shhhh....don't tell Honeychile, there'll be no living with her now for sure! She's on a roll this year with PNMs going ADPi and then there's that little matter of expansion at some campus in the South...I forget which one but I'm supposed to buy a dress and sit on a veranda when the time comes).

Congratulations to your daughter, what a great story!!!!!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity