GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,463
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, RogelioLan
» Online Users: 2,446
1 members and 2,445 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 09-12-2013, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

The "pre-recruitment" bid list

The controversy of the 'Bama recruitment had me think about all the times the refrain of "don't listen to the tent talk" has been said in response to recruitment rumours/myths.

If one school had alumnae that are clearly able to wield some power with respect to membership selection, is it too much of a stretch to believe that it happens at other schools?

I feel that one of the most common rumours about recruitment is that the bid list has pretty much been decided for the most part before recruitment even starts. I know there are obvious reasons to deny that rumor; i.e. why go through the huge expense/stress of recruitment if the chapter already knew which girls they wanted? However, if some alumnae are prepared to be racist when it comes to membership selection there might be alumnae who are prepared to pre-select girls who've come from a particular high school/town/summer camp/country club/etc

Of course I understand that any discussion on this matter is full of speculation and also violates membership selection privacy. But at some schools is the PNM without the right connections still really placed at a huge disadvantage?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-12-2013, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28StGreek View Post
The controversy of the 'Bama recruitment had me think about all the times the refrain of "don't listen to the tent talk" has been said in response to recruitment rumours/myths.

If one school had alumnae that are clearly able to wield some power with respect to membership selection, is it too much of a stretch to believe that it happens at other schools?

I feel that one of the most common rumours about recruitment is that the bid list has pretty much been decided for the most part before recruitment even starts. I know there are obvious reasons to deny that rumor; i.e. why go through the huge expense/stress of recruitment if the chapter already knew which girls they wanted? However, if some alumnae are prepared to be racist when it comes to membership selection there might be alumnae who are prepared to pre-select girls who've come from a particular high school/town/summer camp/country club/etc

Of course I understand that any discussion on this matter is full of speculation and also violates membership selection privacy. But at some schools is the PNM without the right connections still really placed at a huge disadvantage?
If you understand that any credible information on this topic would be discussing MS (which we all know is not done on this board) and everything else is speculation I'm not sure what kind of discussion you're expecting here?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Hopefully a little common sense and logic to dispel what seems to be a persistent rumor -- no membership selection info necessary:

1. Common sense: Actives know girls from their respective home towns, high schools, etc who are participating in recruitment. They do know girls they would like to have join their sisterhood. This probably applies more so to chapters that are in-state strongholds. No mystery there.

2. Logic: Since the majority of PNMs at Alabama are OOS -- even in the chapters that are in-state strongholds -- it would be impossible to compile a pre-selected list of PNMs one does not know, or expect that any PNM would pledge. These OOS PNMs are obviously not rubbing noses with in-state alums.

3. Common sense again: Yes, if a PNM has connections in a chapter -- is known and well-liked by actives in a chapter -- then this is an advantage. No mystery there.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

This may be one school where this isn't the big problem. But Texas, probably not. I don't know that they have the same racism issues (that's don't know, not they aren't), but from what I've gathered here, Texas is VERY much about connections, and their big fight with the alumnae is probably over this issue and less about race. I bet at Texas, the black girl with the list of credentials a mile long would make the cut, for bragging rights if nothing else. But that's pure speculation. Any longhorn is welcome to shoot me down.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
If you understand that any credible information on this topic would be discussing MS (which we all know is not done on this board) and everything else is speculation I'm not sure what kind of discussion you're expecting here?
the same could be said of the Bama controversy.

Quote:
Since the majority of PNMs at Alabama are OOS -- even in the chapters that are in-state strongholds -- it would be impossible to compile a pre-selected list of PNMs one does not know, or expect that any PNM would pledge. These OOS PNMs are obviously not rubbing noses with in-state alums.
I did consider the fact that analysis of the Alabama bid lists (as well as other schools) had been done. This does not preclude circumstances that the PNM's mothers/parents know each other from hometowns/high schools/etc; even if the daughters had grown up after the parent had moved out of state.

Or in another example, where some schools have strong links to some communities/high schools out of the state. At USC there are probably a lot of incoming OOS women from Texas who are known by actives due to the fact Texas has the largest OOS population at the school.

Quote:
Texas is VERY much about connections, and their big fight with the alumnae is probably over this issue and less about race.
This is what I was getting at. Are there some schools where it is disingenuous to say to PNMs: "Don't worry about not having any connections at [School], just look presentable and be yourself"

Last edited by 28StGreek; 09-13-2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: eta
Old 09-13-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
This is what I was getting at. Are there some schools where it is disingenuous to say to PNMs: "Don't worry about not having any connections at [School], just look presentable and be yourself"
I'm sure that is true of at least one fraternity and/or sorority chapter in EVERY school, even less competitive schools. Which is why we hammer and hammer at PNMs to keep an open mind and look at ALL the groups.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
These OOS PNMs are obviously not rubbing noses with in-state alums.
How is that obvious? We have cars and airplanes. People move. Also, a Bama chapter alumna living in Houston might still have tons of sway in the alumnae community. She could have just as much pull to get her Houston girls into the chapter as the Birmingham alumnae do.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
How is that obvious? We have cars and airplanes. People move. Also, a Bama chapter alumna living in Houston might still have tons of sway in the alumnae community. She could have just as much pull to get her Houston girls into the chapter as the Birmingham alumnae do.
Because typically people don't ride their airplane to school, church, or their CC. I'm sure there must be an exception somewhere, however.

Quote:
This does not preclude circumstances that the PNM's mothers/parents know each other from hometowns/high schools/etc; even if the daughters had grown up after the parent had moved out of state.
And worse yet, it does not preclude an alum being closely RELATED to the PNM.

I heard a rumor that these girls are known as legacies, and that in the SEC they are so plentiful each chapter could fill a pledge class -- with plenty to spare.

So not fair.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Why is this such a hot topic of conversation? Can you not relate this to real life?

You are the hiring authority for a company and you need some new employees. You decide to hold a job fair with prior registration required. So you put in on Monster.com and all the other outlets with job requirements listed because a certain certification is required. People register online, upload resumes and list references and certifications/qualifications. All very normal.

Before the event, you download all the registrations. Would you read them? Of course. You want to be able to talk with them about their information. Do you rate them in some manner, such as have required certification, have next level of required certification, do not have required certification? Of course you do. Do you check the references on the ones who meet the qualifications? Of course you do.

The day of the event you are cordial to them all, taking time to meet with each. Afterwards, you pursue the ones that measured up to their application status and your requirements.

Now what is so different about recruitment??????
Old 09-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

That is the best analogy I have even seen. My compliments to the author (Titchou).I hope someone will sticky it to the "schools where you need recommendations" thread!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Now what is so different about recruitment??????
That is a good analogy for Panhellenic recruitment and I would have no qualms about telling someone that some businesses do practice nepotism of sorts when it comes to their hirings
Old 09-13-2013, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That is a good analogy for Panhellenic recruitment and I would have no qualms about telling someone that some businesses do practice nepotism of sorts when it comes to their hirings
Absolutely. It happens in all walks of life.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Except that nepotism implies that a person is hired on the basis of a relation -- regardless of qualifications.

Being a legacy -- arguably the strongest "connection" -- will not secure a slot for a PNM on a bid list.

Great analogy, Titchou.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just as the quality of the recommendation and the source are an extra boost as well.

Last edited by Titchou; 09-13-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:32 AM

That's pretty much why I made this thread:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=135221

Lakers Nation.