GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,469
1 members and 1,468 guests
haleyjuniroz689

Old 12-06-2005, 07:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Need a Gift Idea

Ok, I need a gift idea for one of my friends. I met her at church about a year ago. When I started working full days on the weekend, she not only started babysitting for me, but she insisted on doing it for free. She's a single mom and works VERY hard to make ends meet. I thought about just getting her a gift cert. to Target or a nice restaurant, but knowing her, she'd spend it on her 11 year or worse, my daughter (she buys her things all the time, and I tell her to stop because I know she can't afford it, but she does it anyway). I want to get her something that is just for HER. I myself don't have a WHOLE lot to spend, I was looking to spend about $50. I thought about a gift cert. to Carmen, Carmen (a nice spa around here), but you can't get much there for $50...and I would hate that she would have to spend more $ to use my gift. Plus, I know if I got something like that, my first thought would be that I could have put that $50 to much better use. Any suggestions?
Old 12-06-2005, 08:22 AM
GreekChat Member

What about a gift certificate to get her nails done or her hair? I know my local nail salon is pretty cheap and a lot of hair salons you can get your hair done under $50.00.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally posted by winneythepooh7
What about a gift certificate to get her nails done or her hair? I know my local nail salon is pretty cheap and a lot of hair salons you can get your hair done under $50.00.
That sounds like a good idea...and something that I do all the time for my mother so she doesn't wind up using gift cards on my sister and me

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 12-06-2005, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by winneythepooh7

I'd go for a manicure/pedicure combination but not the hair. Lots of women are particular about who does their hair, so unless you know where she normally gets her hair done I'd shy away from it.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I definetely agree with crzychx -i once recieved a gift certifcate to get my hair done, and of course it wasn't my normal place, but I still went to show them I appreciated their gift. BADDD idea. My hair ended up looking like awfully similar to those women on COPS who are standing in the doorway of their trailer screaming about having their man locked up:P It was just terrible! Anyways, I would def. go with the mani/pedi-that way if they don't like the job done (which i can honestly say, I personally don't about 1/3 of the time) it's much easier to remove nail polish than it is to grow back hair:P
Old 12-06-2005, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Have you considered a gift card to a grocery store? That's what my grandma got me for my birthday, and it was great!
Old 12-06-2005, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alphaxikt
Have you considered a gift card to a grocery store? That's what my grandma got me for my birthday, and it was great!
I REALLY thought about that, but I didn't want it to seem like I was giving her charity (she would NOT like to feel like that) and plus, it wouldn't really be something special for her, it would go all in the pre-teen son's tummy.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

What about a home foot spa thingie with a set of lotions, polishes, foot scrubs, etc. AND an offer to take her pre teen son to the movies or one of his sporting events for the day? That way, she gets to pamper herself a bit and get away from the kid. Plus, with the at home spa thingie, she would use it over and over again.

What does she like to do? Is she a reader? Since you met her at Church, why not go to Family Life or some other Christian bookstore and get her a collection of books, put them in a nice basket with some candles and bubble bath, a nice CD or something.

What about a homemade gift certificate for a night out: dinner and a movie just the 2 of you? Have the hubby watch your kid and hers!

For someone women, getting things that they need for the house is for them and very much appreciated. For everyone that kicks the vacuum cleaner box under the tree (like my mom did one year--she got a very nice suede coat after that! LOL) there is another one that is excited because it is "just what she wanted" If she is a baker, get her some nice pans and one of those cookie shooter things or a nice hand mixer. IF she likes to sew, what about a gift certificate to a fabric store or a gift certificate for a class on learning how to knit and then some knitting stuff.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

What does she do for a living? We were talking about this last night at dinner, as in good gifts to give to teachers instead of the .99cent apple ornament for the tree. Is there anything she could use for work that she is not always able to buy herself? Still not totally for her, but a lot of people appreciate this kind of stuff.