GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,474
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, TitusPpd20
» Online Users: 2,068
1 members and 2,067 guests
No Members online

Old 01-14-2007, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Juliamour
Spring Semester Rush?

I am a first semester freshmen at a local college and I was wondering if it would be better to rush now or in the Fall? I'm worried that it looks bad that I'm starting school in the Spring instead of the Fall, and also because I am new I hardly know anyone yet. I've been wanting to rush a sorority since I was a little girl and found out what sororities are because I've never had a sister and always been jealous of most of my friends for having sisters. So would it be beneficial to rush now or wait until next Fall? Thank you all so much
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-14-2007, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliamour View Post
I am a first semester freshmen at a local college and I was wondering if it would be better to rush now or in the Fall? I'm worried that it looks bad that I'm starting school in the Spring instead of the Fall, and also because I am new I hardly know anyone yet. I've been wanting to rush a sorority since I was a little girl and found out what sororities are because I've never had a sister and always been jealous of most of my friends for having sisters. So would it be beneficial to rush now or wait until next Fall? Thank you all so much
You should check with your Greek Life office first to make sure you're even eligible to go through recruitment. A few schools have policies where you have to have been enrolled as a full-time student for a semester (or transferring with enough credits to make you at least second semester freshman) before you're eligible to receive a bid from a sorority.

If you're eligible, I think you should go through recruitment if you feel personally prepared. There's no harm in trying. In fact, recruitment -- whether or not you end up in a sorority -- is a great way to meet lots of people. Unless your school is extremely competitive, the fact that you're starting school in the spring and you missed fall recruitment probably won't be a big deal. We had plenty of women transfer and two weeks later have a successful recruitment. I definitely think you should go for it. Even if it doesn't work out for you this spring, you'll meet tons of sorority women who are likely to remember you during fall recruitment.

If you're really worried about the fact that you're starting in the spring, figure out how you can make the fact you waited a semester to start college a positive. During recruitment parties, women will probably ask you why you started in the spring instead of fall semester, and this might actually be a nice time to talk about where you traveled/worked/volunteered/or whatever other reason you took a semester off. If you explain you needed the time off to really solidify what you wanted to do with college (or whatever), that will demonstrate your maturity, etc. etc.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 01-22-2007, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I rushed in the Spring as a first semester freshman and none of the groups on my campus had the slightest problem with it. If your reasons for putting off school one semester aren't too personal feel free to mention them if someone asks.