GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,231
1 members and 2,230 guests
Sister Havana

Old 10-05-2012, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it too late for me to rush/pledge?

Is being a second semester sophomore too late to join a frat?

I'm a sophomore now, and I missed Fall recruitment this year, so I'd have to wait for the Spring, right? I just recently realized I want to be in a frat.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-05-2012, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Most likely, it depends on your university and if the majority of new members are freshmen or a mix of years. Contact your Greek Life office. They can give you information plus let you know how many chapters would be rushing/recruiting next semester/quarter.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnut15 View Post
Is being a second semester sophomore too late to join a frat?

I'm a sophomore now, and I missed Fall recruitment this year, so I'd have to wait for the Spring, right? I just recently realized I want to be in a frat.
Just to warn you before you get heat for it, it is generally best to refer to it as a fraternity, not a frat. There tend to be some negative connotations associated with the term frat.
And, while I am not in a fraternity so cannot really contribute much, I know of many guys who joined fraternities their sophomore year. Including the second semester.
Good luck, and I hope it works out for you!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto on using fraternity over frat. "Frat" is an offensive term to some organizations, so play it safe -- you can't go wrong with "fraternity."

As ChioLu suggested, check with Greek Life as to when you can rush. Some groups at some schools extend bids and pledge year round; others only do so during formal recruitment periods like fall or spring.

As for sophomore standing being an issue, it depends on your campus. My nephew pledged his fraternity as a second semester sophomore before going on to become chapter president as a senior. I've always heard it's harder to get a bid as a sophomore or higher at the more competitive schools, such as those in the SEC. This is very true for girls going through sorority recruitment (I do a lot of recs for girls attending SEC schools), but I'm not sure if it's as hard for guys. I have two friends whose sons, both out-of-state (OSS) sophomore transfers, pledged fraternities at Auburn this fall, know of a couple of juniors who pledged this year at Tennessee, and have a neighbor whose son -- another OSS sophomore -- pledged a house last year at Ole Miss...so I know it happens at least some of the time even in the competitive SEC! I'm not into tiers, but do know all of those guys pledged strong chapters and large houses as far as numbers go.

Absolutely go through recruitment -- give all the chapters a fair look, meet as many brothers as you can and look for the house that is the best fit for you.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I am a 2nd year sophomore pledge survivor. Granted I pledged in 1990, but it can be done. Usually, you have more ties to Greeks anyhow, so the choices should be easier.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

im trying for the same im a senior with a 2.49 gpa going into the spring semester but i have one semester left after spring is it too late for me.