GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,276
3 members and 1,273 guests
baadamashtolzea, indygphib, Sarak24034

Old 01-22-2020, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Matching Experts

I am trying to answer a question for a friend and because my experience goes back to hand bid matching, I am hoping to find an expert familiar with today's computer process. Who here is most knowledgeable about the intricacies of bid matching?
Old 01-22-2020, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if this will help; but, LoyallyKappa made a YouTube video to explain bid matching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLt7...ature=youtu.be

Here was the original thread: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...=bid++matching

True and Constant
Old 01-22-2020, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

The computer process mirrors hand method. What is your question?
Old 01-22-2020, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
I am trying to answer a question for a friend and because my experience goes back to hand bid matching, I am hoping to find an expert familiar with today's computer process. Who here is most knowledgeable about the intricacies of bid matching?
What's your question? Maybe some of us can help.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

If you post the question I can get it to a friend who understands bid matching and can do RFM figures in her head.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's the question: PNM gets to preference parties with houses A and B remaining. She is a legacy to B, but her first choice is A. She ranks A (#1) and then B (#2). She is matched with B (her legacy house). She assumes that A filled their list before getting to her name. However, A is now participating in informal (so presumably did not take quota). As a legacy she would have been on B's first list. Would she have had to SIP to get A or would that have hurt her odds by not maximizing her options?
Old 01-23-2020, 08:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Here's the question: PNM gets to preference parties with houses A and B remaining. She is a legacy to B, but her first choice is A. She ranks A (#1) and then B (#2). She is matched with B (her legacy house). She assumes that A filled their list before getting to her name. However, A is now participating in informal (so presumably did not take quota). As a legacy she would have been on B's first list. Would she have had to SIP to get A or would that have hurt her odds by not maximizing her options?
A could have made quota, but was not at campus total. So informal would be to get them to campus total.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-23-2020, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not all sororities require that a legacy be on the first list anymore.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
A could have made quota, but was not at campus total. So informal would be to get them to campus total.
There is no campus total.

The young woman is wondering if there is anything that she could have done differently to have a different outcome. Thinking she was maximizing her options and doing it "the right way" only to see the chapter she hoped for doing informal after she didn't get a bid is upsetting to her.

Any advice you would have given her before completing her MRABA that would have changed the outcome?
Old 01-23-2020, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There is no campus total.

The young woman is wondering if there is anything that she could have done differently to have a different outcome. Thinking she was maximizing her options and doing it "the right way" only to see the chapter she hoped for doing informal after she didn't get a bid is upsetting to her.

Any advice you would have given her before completing her MRABA that would have changed the outcome?
Since the campus where I advise doesn't have total, I'll just say that some of the chapters that are doing informal did in fact make quota, but they have a few additional spots open in order to fill the physical house for next year.

So "A" still may have made quota. and she matched "B" based on where she fell on "A"s bid list.
I would have told her to list both chapters just as she did. If she had SIPed A, she probably wouldn't have had a bid anywhere. A would have filled, and she wouldn't be eligible for a QA.
Hopefully since she went to preference at B she liked it enough to stick it out. I hope she finds her people there. Chapters don't carry legacies to preference if they don't like them.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-23-2020, 09:28 AM

A might have also had people show up to bid day and then drop for whatever reason, so their spots would now be open.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Everyone is correct...A made quota so couldn't take more to get to total until formal recruitment was over.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

It seems like her being a legacy to B (and likely being on the top of their list) meant there was no chance of a quota addition to A if she did not match with them before they reached quota. I think the campus not having "total" and allowing some of these chapters to COB causes some ill feelings like this. I guess the only advice that could be given is if it is a campus that does not have total and there are some chapters that make quota but then immediately pick up more members because they have a bigger house, one could take a chance on SIPing and then hoping to be picked up via informal if they don't match during formal. But obviously a risk and you may end up nowhere.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

But the PNM was never on sorority A's first bid list to start with, right?

True and Constant
Old 01-25-2020, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
But the PNM was never on sorority A's first bid list to start with, right?
She had to be on sorority A's bid list to be invited to preference, however she could be anywhere on the list. There isn't a first list, second list, etc. It's one list ranked top to bottom.