GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,768
0 members and 1,768 guests
No Members online

Old 05-23-2003, 09:53 PM

Feeling Ancient Again!

Okay, can anyone on here answer me this question?

Who are Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen and what do they have to do with one another?

Now, please don't do an Internet search on them! Just tell me what you know (if anything) right now.

Once again, my babysitter has made me feel ancient by claiming to have no idea what I'm talking about and I have to know if she's just clueless or I'm just old!!!

Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-23-2003, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Feeling Ancient Again!

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Okay, can anyone on here answer me this question?

Who are Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen and what do they have to do with one another?

Now, please don't do an Internet search on them! Just tell me what you know (if anything) right now.

Once again, my babysitter has made me feel ancient by claiming to have no idea what I'm talking about and I have to know if she's just clueless or I'm just old!!!

Thanks!
Your babysitter's either too young to remember or is totally clueless.
Sid Vicious was the lead singer for the British punk rock group Sex Pistols (their infamous God Save The Queen caused an uproar in Britain); Nancy Spungeon was his girlfriend. I think Nancy died of a drug overdose (so did Sid). The movie Sid and Nancy describes the sordid tale of their tumultuous relationship.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984

Last edited by AlphaSigOU; 05-23-2003 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:59 PM

Wink

And Courtney Love played one of Nancy's friends in the movie!
Old 05-23-2003, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but my fianceé's mom calls her Sidney (a.k.a. Sid Vicious).
Old 05-23-2003, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PSK480
BrownEyedGirl: you are correct with what you state about both of their deaths.

The Sex Pistols are a great bad and made some amazing music. I know I may be young compared to some people but I still know who they are. So there may be hope for the punk music culture yet.
Phi Sigma Kappa - Nu Pentaton #480
"From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -William Shakespeare
Old 05-24-2003, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

KRose, Ya damn Kid!!

I have read all of the posts, but have no idea who they are talking about????

I listen to a Rock Station, but it is just a beat, I still ahve some good moves dancing! Have No Idea who they are, if I do, I delete in my Brain, Got to many other things to Memeber!!!!

What happened to Jimmie, Willie, Chubby, the Beach Boys, Doobie Bros., or what the heck over!

Mr, Sand Man !!! Anint talking avout dreams, going to Beddie BYE!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-24-2003, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
When was your babysitter born? I'll guess the mid to late eighties. How could she know about Sid and Nancy? They aren't mainstream. I only know about them because of the movie, and I am much closer to your age. Now if this girl doesn't know about John Lennon, then I would be concerned about her.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:13 AM

Cream,
I think you're right. Just because I listened to that type of music doesn't mean that it's mainstream. I guess I tend to think, well hey, I like it so everyone must! lol

John Lennon? Sounds vaguely familiar. Is he related to Julian Lennon? j/k
Old 05-24-2003, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't feel bad Killarney, I though Sid Vicious was a wrestler?
Old 05-24-2003, 06:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to steelepike Send a message via Yahoo to steelepike
Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
Don't feel bad Killarney, I though Sid Vicious was a wrestler?
there was wrestler named Sid Vicious
Old 05-24-2003, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy The state of our youth today...

Huh? I know about Sid Vicious and the Sex Pistols, but then again, I am an early 80s kid (and Mr. Munch, who's older would not stand for me not knowing very influential punk). At least one would think that the phrase "Sid and Nancy," used (by me and my friends, at least) to categorize a really dramatic relationship would be a little bit of a cultural reference. Gah!
Old 05-24-2003, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xok85xo
Quote:
Originally posted by Cream
Now if this girl doesn't know about John Lennon, then I would be concerned about her.

actually, a girl my mom used to work with, i think she was a year younger then me(i'm 23) didn't know who george harrison was when he died
Old 05-24-2003, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xok85xo
actually, a girl my mom used to work with, i think she was a year younger then me(i'm 23) didn't know who george harrison was when he died
That's just not right (she says as she sits in a room with framed Beatles memorabilia.) It should be a right of passage to know the names of each Beatle, even now.

Nancy was stabbed to death by someone. A variety of drug dealers were in and out of their hotel room the night she died, but I believe her death was caused by stabbing (and indirectly, drugs.) I really think that Sid probably was so whacked out that he doesn't remember if he, or someone else that night, killed her.

IIRC, Sid Vicious' mom somehow supplied him with the heroin the night he died. I'm thinking she actually purchased it for him. Seriously. Sadly, he'd just been released from detox that day. What a mom, huh?

Never saw the Pistols, but did see John Lydon/Johnny Rotten's PIL live once. Now that was an interesting show

Christin
Old 05-24-2003, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, hell yeah. Granted, I wasn't born in the 80s, but I know Sid & Nancy. Back in the day, I read the book And I Don't Want to Live This Life (I think that's what it was called) written by Nancy's mom about the whole thing.

That's pretty funny that someone mentioned Courtney Love being in the movie. She's the Nancy of this generation.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Sex Pistols . . .'nuff said. I didn't scroll down either, just replied.

OH she was his groupy GF.