GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,347
3 members and 2,344 guests
MSKKG

Old 06-02-2011, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Sad News: Death of U of Florida Sorority Member

Very sad news:

http://www.alligator.org/news/campus...cc4c002e0.html

My condolences to Ms Ammon's family, sorority sisters, and friends.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Very sad indeed. It's a reminder to all to watch out for yourself and your friends whenever you go drinking.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I hate to bring this up now, but this article made me think of something. UofF now has the medical amnesty program, and it says the individual in distress won't be sanctioned for any alcohol violations with the school. Does that apply to the person's friends too? Meaning, if someone drinks so much that they're passed out and their friends are seriously worried about them, if those friends (who let's assume have also been drinking) try to get the person in distress help, would they be free from any punishment as well? Because if not, then I'm not sure how the amnesty program would really help all that much. There aren't many people who become so drunk that they need to go to the hospital that decide on their own that they need to make that trip.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
I hate to bring this up now, but this article made me think of something. UofF now has the medical amnesty program, and it says the individual in distress won't be sanctioned for any alcohol violations with the school. Does that apply to the person's friends too? Meaning, if someone drinks so much that they're passed out and their friends are seriously worried about them, if those friends (who let's assume have also been drinking) try to get the person in distress help, would they be free from any punishment as well? Because if not, then I'm not sure how the amnesty program would really help all that much. There aren't many people who become so drunk that they need to go to the hospital that decide on their own that they need to make that trip.
I know at my school (not UofF) we have a points system where ten points gets you suspended. Our amnesty feature works so that the individual in need of help only gets 1 point, regardless of BAC (usually a BAC high enough for medical attention would be 5 or 6 points) and the friends who called do not get any points at all. You can only take advantage of this once, but hopefully one incident of alcohol poisoning is enough to slow you down. I would hope other schools have something similar, I have no doubt this has saved a few lives on campus.